Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 10:06 AM

805 posts, read 1,856,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
No it's called consumer protection. Why is that so much of a dirty word these days?
No its called bigger Government. As the poster wrote, it leads to more laws. More laws equal higher prices and less choice for the consumer. Less choice in cars to buy and less choice in companies selling cars. New cars in Europe can be 50% more than the cost in the US, that's the true price of regulations.

Your buying strategy was wrong. You should have paid an independent mechanic to check the car over before buying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 10:38 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,322,526 times
Quote:
No it's called consumer protection. Why is that so much of a dirty word these days?
Why is personal responsibility such a dirty word these days? Caveat Emptor (buyer beware) has been standard practice since the 1500's.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:47 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,585,696 times
A cooling-off period would let impulse buyers take cars and return them if buyer's remorse hits.

If you didn't try the remote before signing the papers, this is your inexpensive lesson about buying used cars.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:07 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,090,654 times
Here in PA, once you take delivery, it's yours unless the dealer has a stated return policy.

I once signed a buyer's order for a car but didn't take delivery that day since they didn't have time to prep it. The next morning I realized I could get a better price elsewhere. I made up a BS story about losing my job that morning and the dealer allowed me to cancel the deal. As I had not taken delivery yet.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:56 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,713,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranston View Post
No its called bigger Government. As the poster wrote, it leads to more laws. More laws equal higher prices and less choice for the consumer. Less choice in cars to buy and less choice in companies selling cars. New cars in Europe can be 50% more than the cost in the US, that's the true price of regulations.
I find that big government is only big government when people don't benefit from it. Take taxes, people hate that but tax prep is an entire industry that we would see shut down. Through most proposals we would see 1 million people enter unemployment, fall onto social security, or be employed in a different yet likely lower paying job (unless they have business tax abilities and we still have corporate taxes.) Plus it removes all those credits and depictions we enjoy each April when we don't have enough withholding.

The other side to over-regulation is the lack of regulation. Take pollution for example. We saw the effects of pollution in the 1950's with the overuse of DDT on grass and fields yet we didn't look at animals or plants that effect us by eating them.

Quote:
Your buying strategy was wrong. You should have paid an independent mechanic to check the car over before buying.
I bought it from a lot, how would I get an independent mechanic before rolling it off the lot?

Old 01-22-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
A cooling-off period would let impulse buyers take cars and return them if buyer's remorse hits.

If you didn't try the remote before signing the papers, this is your inexpensive lesson about buying used cars.
I'll take responsibility for that. It's getting fixed after I complained about the way the salesman and financier wanted me to come back two more times after I mentioned the lock didn't work and to sign new paperwork even though I just signed it already on Thursday night. Plus at the time the salesman wanted me to come 8-4 when he was there and charge me for the replacement. I wish I would have known he was a total snake before hand...

Guess I'll chalk up that for experience.

Old 01-22-2017, 12:24 PM

4,903 posts, read 4,181,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post

Buyer's remorse or someone who only needed or wanted the car for a few days.

Old 01-22-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
Buyer's remorse or someone who only needed or wanted the car for a few days.
Buyer's remorse can be several things. For example, on a test drive you may not have experience with highway handling since it is all on town/city driving rather than highway. If the buyer's remorse is within reason and documentable, it should be given. Documentable being a key word. That way we don't see people who will buy a car for a night-trip and return it the next night... It can't be some interior something visible at the point of sale, rather performance but not quite quantifiable mechanically.

Old 01-22-2017, 12:33 PM

17,072 posts, read 11,919,068 times
Yep and turning a new car into a used one or adding an additional owner to a used one dramatically hurts the value.

If you want protection buy new or used with warranty, and always have an independent mechanic check out a used car before purchase.

Cars are not impulse buys at a tent sale.

Last edited by notnamed; 01-22-2017 at 01:03 PM..

Old 01-22-2017, 12:34 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,119,128 times
Quote:

I bought it from a lot, how would I get an independent mechanic before rolling it off the lot?
Either ask to take it. (Ive never had a lot say no, and if they do, its not the type of place you want to buy a car from.) Or two there are plenty of services the offer mobile inspections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive