Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you pick a used car
High mileage 1 1.64%
Newer model year 17 27.87%
One owner 16 26.23%
Well documented service records 30 49.18%
Lowest mileage 34 55.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 12:52 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,088,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I might want the car upgraded, but I want to choose the upgrades and put them in so I know everything is done right,

Yeah, cause out of millions of professionals and hobbyists building cars, you're the only person in the world that can do it right.

I've had no problems selling or buying modded cars, because I also know what I'm doing and know what to look for when buying. Enthusiast owned vehicles, even modded ones, are usually a safer bet than a typical dealer auction bought car or one bought from a non-enthusiast who may not know when the last regular service was done (if it was done at all). And if the mods are something youre planning on doing anyway, then you can be getting a really good deal on a pre-modded car as you won't be paying extra (much) for the things you were already going to do and the parts you were already going to buy. But, you have to know what you're looking at going in and it doesn't sound like you really do and are scared instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 01:05 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I didn't answer your poll because I go for make first. I buy older Japanese cars/trucks - Toyota, Nissan, would consider a Honda although for some reason they aren't as comfortable to drive in my opinion - something about the placement of the steering wheel or something.

Then, I'll look at condition and mileage.

I get them because they run forever and are cheap to register and insure and rarely need maintenance. I need reliable and cheap. I compromise on gas mileage and things like electric windows, etc.

Old 01-27-2017, 02:14 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,656,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
When I am shopping, I make a list of 4 cars I feel would make a good buy. In selecting the 4 , i look at reliability, crash worthiness,looks, and price.

So for a used car, i am looking for 4 to 8 Years old, Dealer trade ins from an auction or rental car sales is where i go to purchase.

You will find the best deals from $7500 - $14000 range for something nice.

For me, an fj cruiser , acura rl , honda element, or jeep wrangler all look like good deals right now.
Around here, an FJ Cruiser in good condition will bring a premium price. I wish I had more to sell.

Old 01-27-2017, 04:15 PM

In order for me to buy a used car, it would require only one owner, newer model, lowest mileage and documented. If even one item is not present, I would not buy it. Also the reason I buy new.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
In order for me to buy a used car, it would require only one owner, newer model, lowest mileage and documented. If even one item is not present, I would not buy it. Also the reason I buy new.
You must only buy American-made vehicles then, that aren't reliable.

Old 01-28-2017, 06:25 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
1. Reputable model and price
2. combination of age and millage. Many cars nowadays can get 200k miles easily.
3. Inspection

I got a used car for my mother and didn't see many good choices. I saw mostly 10 year old cars with 100k miles for $10k. I ended up getting her a 6 year old Elantra with 54k miles for $7000.

Old 01-28-2017, 06:56 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
I research what car i want then start looking for a private sale of that car.
The owners demeanor plays an important role in my decision as if hes an ahole the car will reflect that,
Is the car clean inside and out? has it been taken care of? does it have all service records?.
A couple of personal deal breakers if everything else checks out,i wont buy a green car and if the car is missing a hubcap game over.

Google is a good research resource=https://www.google.ca/search?q=used+...IBygA&dpr=1.76

Old 01-28-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I research what car i want then start looking for a private sale of that car.
The owners demeanor plays an important role in my decision as if hes an ahole the car will reflect that,
Is the car clean inside and out? has it been taken care of? does it have all service records?.
A couple of personal deal breakers if everything else checks out,i wont buy a green car and if the car is missing a hubcap game over.

Google is a good research resource=https://www.google.ca/search?q=used+...IBygA&dpr=1.76
LOL, orange is a definite no for me.

Old 01-28-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
You must only buy American-made vehicles then, that aren't reliable.
You would be wrong, three years ago, I drove two Japanese cars and one German. Two years ago, I drove one Japanese, one German, one American. Today, it’s two German and one American. All purchased new.

Old 01-28-2017, 03:55 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,233,863 times
I decide the kind of vehicle I want, then a particular model, and then I sort by ones that are the color I want, both exterior and interior. That cuts it down significantly, and then I choose which is the best value and best condition of the cars that meet my criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive