Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 08:06 AM

176 posts, read 234,723 times

Advertisements

car cranks, but won't start, needs to jumped every time in the past few days. Once started, it runs fine in any speed.

I checked with a voltmeter, with engine running, it reads 14.2v, if i shut off engine, it's at 12.4.

battery will be 3 yr this Feb. car= 2002 crv.

battery or alternator?

Edit: just checked it again this morning, it reads 11.7 with engine off.

Last edited by blue_water; 01-26-2017 at 08:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 08:09 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Yes.

Take it to Autozone or whatever you have locally, They will put a tester on it for free and will tell you if the alternator output is what is should be and whether the batter is still good/partly good etc.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:46 AM

572 posts, read 435,400 times
If Its the alternator, a jump won't help you because the battery is run so down it won't be able to start the car except after charged up for a long time.

Battery light is usually, but not always, on if it is the alternator.

Got a multimeter? If so, you don't need a load tester...

*edit: Looked at your nunbers. Alternator at maximum output when its running, looks good.

Sounds like a weak battery to me.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:40 AM

17,579 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Technically.. Could also be a parasitic draw.

I agree with having it tested.. But another test that you can do is to disconnect the negative terminal from the battery.. Let it sit disconnected overnight (or whatever time it would normally need to be jumped after) and then reconnect the battery.

If it doesn't crank fine.. Battery is toast. if it does.. You could have something pulling it down.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:42 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,949,625 times
If it's the alternator you wouldn't be able to drive it at all, because the alternator, not the battery, actually runs the car once it's started.

Found this out the hard way with a friend's Dodge Ram van about 20 years ago as we were caravaning back from a gig and got stranded out in the middle of nowhere. Jump start didn't work. Sending one of the other guys who were driving with us to buy a new battery didn't work. I had to trade batteries with him (I was driving a 1993 Voyageur), so he managed to get home with my good battery, while my working alternator charged up his dead one. When we got to his place we traded back.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:45 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,076,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
If it's the alternator you wouldn't be able to drive it at all, because the alternator, not the battery, actually runs the car once it's started.

Found this out the hard way with a friend's Dodge Ram van about 20 years ago as we were caravaning back from a gig and got stranded out in the middle of nowhere. Jump start didn't work. Sending one of the other guys who were driving with us to buy a new battery didn't work. I had to trade batteries with him (I was driving a 1993 Voyageur), so he managed to get home with my good battery, while my working alternator charged up his dead one. When we got to his place we traded back.
Yes that's true for the OP, but its only required if you have fuel injection. I learned that one too.

I had a china made lighter socket power cable for my gps break while using it once. The plug that goes in to the gps came off (the mini usb head), and I heard a pop through the stereo. It took about an hour for my battery to go from perfect to completely dead. So dead that the fuel injection was sputtering and couldn't keep up, and using the window switch was near killing it, it eventually lost all the juice and couldn't run the fuel injection then died. I replaced the alternator at a rest stop, got a (5 minute) jump, and was good to go.

Old 01-26-2017, 02:09 PM

712 posts, read 841,779 times
battery = bad !

Old 01-26-2017, 02:59 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Yes.

Take it to Autozone or whatever you have locally, They will put a tester on it for free and will tell you if the alternator output is what is should be and whether the batter is still good/partly good etc.
Do they test the battery under heavy current draws?

Old 01-26-2017, 04:07 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,820,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie4 View Post
If Its the alternator, a jump won't help you because the battery is run so down it won't be able to start the car except after charged up for a long time.

Battery light is usually, but not always, on if it is the alternator.

Got a multimeter? If so, you don't need a load tester...

*edit: Looked at your nunbers. Alternator at maximum output when its running, looks good.

Sounds like a weak battery to me.
If it's the alternator it won't run. You can run a car without a battery.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:05 PM

295 posts, read 354,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
If it's the alternator it won't run. You can run a car without a battery.
A car can certainly run without an alternator if there is a good battery connected. The battery will supply the juice but once it's depleted the engine will stall.

This is actually a very common scenario where the alternator is going bad and is no longer charging the battery or only intermittently. The battery is capable of running the engine on short trips but usually gets depleted to the point it can't start the car next time. You get a jump and it gets charged momentarily and may last until the next start. Rinse and repeat.

This isn't healthy on a battery and a deeply discharged battery or one that can't hold a charge isn't healthy on the alternator either. An alternator is only meant to charge the battery with whatever was used when starting the car. A bad battery is a huge load on the alternator and can burn it out if the battery isn't replaced soon. Likewise a battery deeply discharged may not spring back and sufficiently hold a charge when charged again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive