Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 06:13 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,165,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainednCary View Post
Mileage interval is 8k. I'm only worried about ph level.
Run your car at highway speed for at least fifteen minutes and that will burn off a lot of the acids and blow by crud.

You can always send a sample of your oil to be tested. They can tell if there are acids or evidence of internal damage. If the owners manual says 8k, then change it at 8k. Those engineers put a lot into designing the engine. They'll know what's best for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 06:54 PM

15,426 posts, read 7,482,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
My advice remains the same - conform to the schedule set by the OEM, particularly if you are still in warranty.

I don't understand why most people in normal good health with a garage don't change their own oil. Cheaper, and you always get the oil you specify, etc. If getting under the car is a problem for whatever reason, a top side oil changer, available for $50 from Northern Tool, will vacuum the oil up the dipstick tube, then you change the filter, re-fill and are done, the top side changer being a very good container to take the used oil to recycle. Not rocket science.
Well, on my 4Runner, it requires a lot more effort than I am willing to exert, since I would have to take off the skid plate cover, the filter is a cartridge type with its own drain that requires another drain pan, and the engine holds 7.5 quarts of synthetic. I pay $50 at the dealer, and don't have to deal with disposing of the oil or the potential mess.

Change interval on my vehicle is 10,000 miles/1 year. I usually get it at 9k miles or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive