Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2017, 08:13 AM

50,794 posts, read 36,486,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer705 View Post
Audi guy lowered the car by like 4k, still makes it above market value though.

I should get some tax refund money someday soon. I'd like to save it for a rainy day or something like that. It won't be a lot though as I made under $25,000 last year and have no kids.

The E-class I was looking at was sold. Jeez, these guys sell quick.

I was also looking at the Jeep Grand Cherokee, seems like a good car.

I test drove a Hyundai Sonata, I didn't like it. I probably would've liked the sport model, though the one I drove was way too slow. I'm going to look into cars with ventilated seats because I used my dad's ventilated seats once and I've been uncomfortable ever since.

I need a new car rather quickly, my current one seems to be falling apart and I'd rather sell it quick before I have to pay to get it fixed.
I thought you said you made $73,000 a year? if you made under $25,000 IMO it's crazy to spend almost that much on a car

I make in the 70's to 80's, and have never spent more than $15,000 for a car, including my Baby, my Trans Am. There is no reason to spend a yearly salary on a car, wait a while. You can get a GREAT car you will love for much less in the meantime. I misunderstood your whole post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 09:26 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I thought you said you made $73,000 a year? if you made under $25,000 IMO it's crazy to spend almost that much on a car
From the original post:

Quote:
I live alone, I'm 24 and my salary is around 73k
I think our chains are getting yanked.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:00 AM

926 posts, read 828,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
From the original post:

I think our chains are getting yanked.
Nah, I didn't work for the entire year in 2016. And even then, which I stated a few pages ago, I went from $36,000 to $52,000 at my current/main job before I went to $73,000 with 2 jobs before taxes.

I made somewhere between 24k and 25k in 2016. And I will make at least 70k in 2017 and at least 75k in 2018.

Sorry for the confusion

Old 02-25-2017, 01:02 PM

Today, I will test drive the Dodge Charger and look more into it. I will also check out the Jeep Grand Cherokee and maybe Kia Optima SXL, as well as the Audi A4 & A6.

Also, does anyone know much about the Cadillac ATS? It caught my attention that I can buy a 2014 ATS Luxury for 17k locally.

Old 02-25-2017, 03:25 PM

Today I took a field day at Carmax test driving lots of stuff as well as another dealership.
Notably,
2016 Dodge Charger SXT for $22,000
I like this car a lot. In fact, I might purchase it. It handles very well, has some speed to it as well, I jetted around a car very quickly. I did find that it is very easy to tell the car doesn't have a turbo, nor does it feel like a sports car. It is very roomy, I like the layout of the interior. Low miles, heated seats, seems very nice.

2014 Mercedes-Benz E350 (I think Sport) for $21,000
This one is a little tricky. I like this car very much as well. Problem? It's got 70k miles on it, which is higher than what I was hoping. Should this car still last a long time? Also, holy crap, someone drove the hell out of this car. Is that a bad thing though? One thing I noticed is that when I am stopped for more than about 20 seconds, I noticed the car vibrates. Is that a bad thing, is it supposed to do that? On my way back, I came to the conclusion that it may be ECO Start/Stop, but I am not sure if that's in the 2014 model. I really liked that it didn't have the hood emblem on it, which on the luxury model I drove, made me feel like the car was directed towards older people, while the Sport or whatever this one was, seems to be directed towards younger people. I also found the E-class I was in to be the easier car to back up into a parking space that I test drove, I don't know if I was coincidentally aligned perfectly, but It was very smooth.

It's a hard decision because certain times I want the Charger, other times I want the luxury automotive, depending on what mood I'm in. Like when I started writing this post I was more into the Charger, I got hungry and left to go to Wendy's. Now I'm in a E/5/A6 mood.

I'm trying to find a car that is attractive, financially acumen, and balances Impressive with Impression.

I did test drive the 'economical' cars a few people were suggesting, such as the Hyundai Sonata Sport. It was either 16k or 17k. I didn't like it at all. I barely felt like finishing the test drive route after driving a Charger and Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit. I am more of a fan of the 2015 Nissan Altima SL, though neither of them were ultra appealing. The Altima had nice after market rims and technology package, though it was 20k, which I would much rather spend 21k on a E-class or a Charger, which were both significantly better in my opinion. I also took a look at the 2016 Ford Fusion Titanium for 19k. I didn't drive it because I didn't need to. The little spoiler on it was very atrocious and a car that big with only 240 horsepower. No way! The Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit was obviously out of price range, but it was the only Grand Cherokee they had that had heated seats. Too big. However, I could probably get used to it after driving it for a while. I also took a look at a 2014 BMW i3 they had there. I didn't drive it, but jeez, that car had the most disgusting interior. The only reason I'd consider it is because the car stands out in traffic. I hope BMW makes a i5 or something. A 4-door sedan that stands out like the i-series.

Last edited by Archer705; 02-25-2017 at 03:48 PM..

Old 02-25-2017, 04:59 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
Quote:
Also, does anyone know much about the Cadillac ATS? It caught my attention that I can buy a 2014 ATS Luxury for 17k locally.
It's definitely worth considering. ATS is one of the best handling cars in its class.
Not much back seat room. Shouldn't be a big deal in your case.
I have no use at all for the base 2.5. The 2.0t and 3.6 are much better.

Old 02-25-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
It's definitely worth considering. ATS is one of the best handling cars in its class.
Not much back seat room. Shouldn't be a big deal in your case.
I have no use at all for the base 2.5. The 2.0t and 3.6 are much better.
It seems like a good car, but from the experience of my dad's higher end Cadillac, CUE is absolute trash. What is the main differences between ATS and CLA? I mention that because in my opinion, CLA looks better. Neither of them are ugly cars. I think the main thing I like about the CLA is the sound. The ATS has a nice interior and a fairly good exterior.

I've read the CLA has more technology in it, such as pre-collision warning, dual climate control, navigation, adaptive cruise control, blind spot monitoring, Lane Departure warning and parking sensors. It sounds like the ATS is a cheap CLA even though the ATS costs 11% more ($3,000). I'll still consider the ATS but it seems Cadillac is a bit outdated from what I just read, it also says CLA depreciates much slower and has better gas mileage.

Last edited by Archer705; 02-25-2017 at 05:43 PM..

Old 02-25-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
It seems like a good car, but from the experience of my dad's higher end Cadillac, CUE is absolute trash. What is the main differences between ATS and CLA? I mention that because in my opinion, CLA looks better. Neither of them are ugly cars. I think the main thing I like about the CLA is the sound. The ATS has a nice interior and a fairly good exterior.

I've read the CLA has more technology in it, such as pre-collision warning, dual climate control, navigation, adaptive cruise control, blind spot monitoring, Lane Departure warning and parking sensors. It sounds like the ATS is a cheap CLA even though the ATS costs 11% more ($3,000). I'll still consider the ATS but it seems Cadillac is a bit outdated from what I just read, it also says CLA depreciates much slower and has better gas mileage.
The ATS and CTS share the same platform.
ATS is basically Cadillac's idea of a 3-Series, but not the current BMWs, but previous ones that were more hardcore sports sedans.
It's been widely praised for its steering and overall athleticism.

This comment makes it sound like you care more about gizmos than driving.
Maybe you should buy a Korean car like a Hyundai Genesis. They're really good for that and they're cheap.

Or you could just buy the CLA, since you keep going back to it.
Most Mercedes buyers know better and shun it in favor of their much better offerings, but 1500-2000 a month don't.

The Audi A3 sells better, but I've driven it and comparable VWs back to back and dismissed it.
I think I'd just buy the VW and pocket the cash. There was about $5k difference but I didn't see it as $5K better.

Last edited by eaton53; 02-25-2017 at 06:57 PM..

Old 02-25-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
The ATS and CTS share the same platform.
ATS is basically Cadillac's idea of a 3-Series, but not the current BMWs, but previous ones that were more hardcore sports sedans.
It's been widely praised for its steering and overall athleticism.

This comment makes it sound like you care more about gizmos than driving.
Maybe you should buy a Korean car like a Hyundai Genesis. They're really good for that and they're cheap.
Or you could just buy the CLA, since you keep going back to it.
I'd like to have a good amount of gizmos in a car, something that has gizmos and drives well. The Genesis seems like a nice car, though they are quiet expensive (2015 design). I'm not a CLA fan in particular, I was just wondering how they compare.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
I'd like to have a good amount of gizmos in a car, something that has gizmos and drives well. The Genesis seems like a nice car, though they are quiet expensive (2015 design). I'm not a CLA fan in particular, I was just wondering how they compare.
Well, now you're talking about a Genesis G80 (I was referring to the old Hyundai Genesis), a car with a huge number of gizmos.
I have driven one of these as well and am impressed with the value of its feature set.
That car can do everything but sing and tap dance... there's just about every feature you can think of.
If it were a Mercedes, the G80 I drove would've cost $75K. There's that much stuff.

What it is not is a sports sedan. It's a luxury car. Think Lexus ES.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive