Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 06:13 PM

364 posts, read 635,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
That's very debatable. But being in the game a long time doesn't mean you're the best at it.
Yeah I think they have good competition, Tahoe, Santa Fe, Sorento, highlander, MDX, Lexus RX models, etc.

I'm curious how the Ford holds up long-term IE 10-15 years and 100-200 k miles.

Last edited by trckn4life; 02-05-2017 at 06:15 PM.. Reason: Reliability
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 06:41 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,117,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
OP, it's a Ford. If you lease for two years, three years, and get a new car - sure, buy whatever you can afford and pleases you.
If you were to BUY the car and keep it - RUN!
Nonsense. You won't find any negative write ups on it. They outsell the competition by a wide margin.
Police departments find them to be extremely durable as well.

Old 02-05-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
Visit multiple dealers to view a Ford Explorer 5 years old. Do you want that car?
Can't imagine what you mean by that. The new gen Explorers are world class.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I am considering purchasing a new 2017 Ford Explorer. I could be open to other brands but I want nothing smaller then an Explorer. As an example I would not consider an Escape or Toyota Rav4 as they are to small.

Your experiences and comments welcome.

Thanks
The Explorer is smooth as silk at interstate speeds. It wants to go 80! You'll see!
Touch pad door entry. All the newest technology. Easiest to figure out main touchscreen. The largest rear cargo room of any competitor. My Key, entertainment hard drive so you can rewind news or music if you want to hear it again!
Third row seating that adults can sit in. Electric pedals, and more. Things you can't get on Porsche or Lexus.
The new Platinum rivals the Range for $40K less!

I promise you'll like it very much.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:25 PM

364 posts, read 635,551 times
How does it compare to the Grand Cherokee?

Old 02-05-2017, 07:36 PM

24,556 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trckn4life View Post
The Explorer is much more reliable than the Grand Cherokee. The GC is much more capable than the Explorer off road but few owners use it that way.

Personally, I wouldn't own an Explorer that is off warranty. They are much better than the old body-on-frame Exploders but things still fail on them.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Grand Cherokee is 4-star safety, Explorer is 5-star as it has been since the beginning. Explorer design is nicer.

Old 02-05-2017, 08:43 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,761,250 times
We have a 2012 Explorer Limited. It is great car, especially when you are in snow and ice conditions. Just dial snow and ice into the transmission, and it is a perfect vehicle in bad snow conditions. If you are going downhill on snow and ice, just push a button and it holds back staying at the same speed, without trying to run away with you.

Big enough to be comfortable. But small enough to be easier to handle in traffic, etc. Only been to a shop for a couple of minor factory recalls, and no other problems. Only regular service for oil changes, etc. Some are complaining it has terrible gas mileage. Compared to a small midget car as I feel the high mileage cars are, it is bad. But I want a full size vehicle that will carry 7 people in comfort. I am 6'2" tall with a long body, and cannot even sit up in those midget cars with the high mileage. It has the comfort I want and the ability to go in all weather. Here in Montana we have had the worst snow year for decades. Even had to buy a snow blade for our yard tractor, to plow out our drive, parking area, and 500 feet of private lane leading back to our home this year.

Here in our part of the world, go down to the typical parking lot, and you will find over 80% of the cars are 4 door pickups, and SUV type vehicles. No electric cars unless driven by a tourist, as half the year you could not even get between towns when the cold draws 60% of the battery life, and some hills and mountains draw their share out of the battery.

Switch from highway to winter tires and back twice a year. That and our regular service twice a year, is all it has cost to keep it on the road.

As my wife is 87 and I am 85, we plan on this car lasting as long as we are still healthy and able to drive.

Old 02-05-2017, 08:48 PM

3,234 posts, read 3,191,046 times
Quote:
Yeah I think they have good competition, Tahoe, Santa Fe, Sorento, highlander, MDX, Lexus RX models, etc.

I'm curious how the Ford holds up long-term IE 10-15 years and 100-200 k miles.
I needed some tissues when I finally traded in my 1998 Explorer (Eddie Bauer edition) in 2011. Had 200+k miles on it and it had never let me down, but the a/c and other components were going. Down-sized to a Honda CRV but I have so many fond memories of that Explorer.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:39 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,260,229 times
We have two Ford Explorers -- 1991 (one of the first) and 2006. Both have been excellent in terms of reliability and cost of ownership. The '91 is manual transmission and the 2006 is automatic. Both got better mileage than the 2006 Infiniti M sedan I drove for 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive