Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 02:41 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,140,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
We have had two Acura MDX's and they are awesome. Also a Nissan Pathfinder, which was also very nice, but the MDX's are a little silkier.
So there was an Acura MDX next town over at a dealer with good ratings. That was my suggested first stop. Price seemed competitive and based on options, probably best way to go within her constraints. We didn't make it there, mapped out a different meandering path to the final goal: my trusted Toyota dealer in Everett, WA, and a specific salesman who *always* shoots straight, across now six deals: three for friends way back in the day, two for me in thirteen years (yeah, Toyotas last!), and last for my friend in this deal for the Dodge. This guy pulls new and used cars out of thin air, based on customer needs. He found this gorgeous silver w/black interior low mileage '14 Durango in nearby inventory and had it available for us to view pretty quick. Turned out that was "the one."

...Yes, were it my money, I'd have been all over that used, low-miles MDX as probable first and last stop. And/or a Cayenne GTS, if I could find one, though spending seventy to a hundred large on an SUV simply wasn't in the cards for my friend. In fact if I need a SUV at some point, I'm literally buying one of those two in all probability, though I truly hope I don't "need" an SUV in the near future. They are damn useful for families, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 02:51 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,140,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
US News & World Report gives the 2014 Dodge Durango a 2.5 for reliability. That's better than I was expecting.

2014 Dodge Durango Reliability | U.S. News & World Report.

JD Power gave it a 2 for predicted reliability.

2014 Dodge Durango Pricing, Specs & Reviews | J.D. Power Cars

Personally, that wouldn't be high on my list for a used car that didn't have a big CPO warranty. They might luck out and do fine but there's higher risk that something expensive will break.
I hear you, pal. I drove my friend's late model Durango rental for a day, yesterday and this AM, and found it tolerable but...I am *not* a big Dodge fan for the reasons you mention, and experience of friends.

End of the day, I suggested, alluded-to, steered, and otherwise used every trick I have to influence her to something else. But, there it was. Her Dodge van, which seized up on the freeway (causing this mess) was bought as a POS w/60K miles five years ago. When it seized, at 160K miles, for total loss it had cost her very little in unexpected maintenance. My dad's Dodge minivan started tossing transmissions at 100K miles and went through two before he sold it off for scrap. There are other stories.

But people do what they will, based on logic (a little) and feelings (a lot). I am more facts than feelings. I'd have been on that Acura MDX, Toyota Sequoia, or Lexus (upscale Toyota, w/TRD pedigree and durability) GX460 in a hot second vs. the Durango. But hey: different strokes, different folks! My friend, the Toyota salesman who hooked us up, drew me aside and suggested she NOT buy the Dodge despite it being super-clean, but I said the same thing to him: it is what it is, she wants it, so sell it to her 'cause she's paying cash. That ended the conversation, she drove off with it two hours later.

Hope it works out, end of the day. I really do. And, maybe it will and maybe it won't....

Old 02-08-2017, 03:40 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,609,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Hey all, time to leverage the big brains here on C-D. I can do this research but would like quick hits from you, up or down, on late-model (non-new) AWD SUVs w/3rd row seating. Your opinions, your experiences, on specific models if you own one of these or have friends or...

Situation: Good female friend seized engine on c. mid 2000s Dodge minivan, tossed a coolant line and/or water pump. Residual on POS, 160K mile minivan were it in excellent condition (it isn't) is probably half of estimated repair, which came in this afternoon. Decision: we're having it hauled away for tax write off.

To-Do: She has a rental Dodge Durango, brand new, I helped her pick up Saturday morning 48 hours ago. Rental is $100/day. That Durango is pretty nice, and AWD, which helps in Seattle due to our dodgy traction and rare snows, like today w/6"-10" storm. She lives near Cascades, they get more snow vs. where I live closer to downtown.

Need from the Big Brains: OPINIONS on one or more of the following list. We're going SUV shopping, after I do a lot of homework tonight, she'll be buying this week (period, end of story). Must have:

- Used, not new, couple years old
- Ceiling of roughly $30K
- She's paying CASH
- 3rd row seating, she's a professional executive child development facilitator and needs seating for 6.

Nice to have: AWD

Alternate: AWD minivans

I used a competing site's used car listing aggregator and came up with at least three possibilities, in my order of preference w/cars available locally we're going to visit, 2013-2014 model year.

1. Acura MDX AWD
2. Toyota Highlander
3. Dodge Durango

Others I have NOT explored yet, from another article via competing website:

Ford Explorer
Nissan Rogue
Land Rover LR4
Dodge Journey
Infiniti QX60
Lincoln Navigator
GMC Acadia
I traded in my Dodge Journey for a Dodge Durango. The Journey is significantly smaller. I can't even imagine a third row of seats! I've seen it, but I can't imagine anyone except a Cabbage Patch Kid using it and there's not cargo area with that third row.

I have a 2014 Durango Citadel.....it's souped up basically. I have 3 rows of seating. I opted for captain's chairs in the second row. Adults love these. Kids think they're cool. They also allow an adult to get to the third row if necessary. There's a good sized cargo area with 3 rows as well.

Since it's a Citadel, it came with a ton of upgrades. Some were available as options in the lower end models. I will say this, the sticker price was almost $60K when it was brand new. Can't remember if that include all the dealer and DMV fees or sales tax.

I also have AWD and live in Upstate NY so we get rain and lots and lots and lots of snow. It's a great vehicle in the snow. I don't have a problem with the bank end sliding around.....then again I don't drive like a look going 70 in a snow storm.

I'd rather buy a Schwinn and pedal my way around the earth that ever buy a minivan. Love me a SUV! It's also incredibly practical. I can flatten the second and third row and pile stuff up on it. 2x4's fit nicely! I can also haul a camper or trailer. I can tow up to 7200 pounds so a real camper.

I find it to be a very comfortable vehicle to drive for extended periods of time. I broke my back years ago and have a hard time sitting for any length of time. I really struggled in the Journey. I haven't had any troubles with the Durango and least once a month I take on trips that are 5-7 hours long each way. Having the heated seats helps a great deal when the weather is not so pleasant and it's causing aching in my back. It also has air conditioning in the seat! Crazy what's available on vehicles today!

Old 02-08-2017, 03:59 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,417,066 times
The Highlander is a good car, but I have to say I don't really like them. My in-laws are on their second, and I hate driving it. Just not a fan, although I seem to be in the minority. Good reliability though.

Forget Land Rover, unless you enjoy lots of expensive repairs. Dodge is not much better on reliability. I would check out the Explorer and Honda Pilot. Acura is good too, but you will get more for you money with Explorer or Pilot.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:57 PM

8,678 posts, read 11,067,849 times
Snow tires > AWD

Old 02-08-2017, 07:25 PM

17,297 posts, read 12,225,030 times
Snow tires + AWD > *

Old 02-08-2017, 10:59 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,755,923 times
Here in Montana you go to a parking lot, and find 75% to 90% of the vehicles will be Medium and Large SUVs. We as many others drive a Ford Explorer. Myself and others that I know, are all happy with Explorer. The drive system explained in this video, is the most fantastic 4X4 drive I have ever driven and I have driven 4 wheel drives since 1970s.

Dry pavement it is a front wheel drive vehicle. Dial in other road conditions and it becomes the best 4X4 drive adjusting for road types and conditions. Excellent for places like the base of the Cascades which I have driven in many times. Two wheel for dry pavement. When it gets rain slicked, and snow conditions it becomes a fantastic 4X4 vehicle. We have had snow on the ground for 6 weeks, which is unusual. A foot yesterday. Going downhill with rain slick roads, push the button and the vehicle will not increase speeds, controlling the speed you are driving at as the transmission is adjusted along with the brakes being adjusted for such conditions.

Take a look at what I mean.

Intelligent AWD / 4WD | Vehicle Features Video | Official Ford Owner Site

I had to drive home from Billings one day a couple of years ago after a doctors appointment (50 miles). While in the doctors 6 inches of snow and it had turned to ice. 60 to 70 mile winds for the first 15 miles, with traffic moving at 15 miles per hour. For the first 20 miles, there was a car off the road every 25 feet or so. Cars and a lot of the SUV types such as some mentioned on this thread. I never even felt any slip, or handling difficulty for that entire 50 miles home.

For the type of driving she will be doing at the foot of the cascades, this is the vehicle I would own.

She needs something that will be driving in a lot of slick wet pavement, some times snow, etc. From my experience over the past 4 years, this is he vehicle to own. And I would own the intelligent AWD models for the utmost safety especially when hauling children like she is doing.

Ours is 4 years old. Only in the shop for twice a year tire change between snow and summer tires. Plus was in for 2 minor recalls to upgrade minor items. Change oil and service at time tires changed. Have never had to add any oil between changes. Millage averages 20 MPG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive