Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 01:02 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,129,383 times

Advertisements

I had a '85 Dodge pickup short bed for years as a daily driver. Had it for 20 years. Just could not kill that straight 6. The last 12 years though I have been driving a '05 Scion tc. Love the car. Absolute best I have ever owned. Never needs repairs. So I am sold on the Toyota brand. But now in my 50's I would really like to get back into a truck.

I am thinking about getting a 2016-17 Toyota Tacoma. I love the look of these trucks. Sporty and not too big. I sat in a few over the weekend, and that has only sweetened my appetite for one. The available packages are dizzying. I'm not interested in 4x4 since 99.9% of my driving is all paved highway. So a 2x4 would be fine. better gas mileage anyways. Right now I think I like the look of a 2016-17 2x4 Tacoma Off Road with the 17" beaded rims. Seems to have a nice stance without the 4x4.

All cars I have owned I have driven into the ground (12-20 years). So my question, what do I need to know about these trucks? Any shortcomings? Mechanical problems they are prone to (Don't get me started on my my Dodge Caravan)? Things to know? A package deals that may not be advertised? I want this truck to last me 15 years if possible. Doable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 01:12 PM

850 posts, read 902,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
I had a '85 Dodge pickup short bed for years as a daily driver. Had it for 20 years. Just could not kill that straight 6. The last 12 years though I have been driving a '05 Scion tc. Love the car. Absolute best I have ever owned. Never needs repairs. So I am sold on the Toyota brand. But now in my 50's I would really like to get back into a truck.

I am thinking about getting a 2016-17 Toyota Tacoma. I love the look of these trucks. Sporty and not too big. I sat in a few over the weekend, and that has only sweetened my appetite for one. The available packages are dizzying. I'm not interested in 4x4 since 99.9% of my driving is all paved highway. So a 2x4 would be fine. better gas mileage anyways. Right now I think I like the look of a 2016-17 2x4 Tacoma Off Road with the 17" beaded rims. Seems to have a nice stance without the 4x4.

All cars I have owned I have driven into the ground (12-20 years). So my question, what do I need to know about these trucks? Any shortcomings? Mechanical problems they are prone to (Don't get me started on my my Dodge Caravan)? Things to know? A package deals that may not be advertised? I want this truck to last me 15 years if possible. Doable?
My cousin bought a 2016 Tacoma TRD off road in November 2015. He loves it. He did have to do the TSB update on it to fix the transmission issues (hunting for gears too often but I think Toyota has fixed that issue now) so if you thinking of buying one makes sure to buy one that has already been TSB updated or purchase a 2017 model. The truck feels a little underpowered at low rpm but once it gets to 3000-4000 rpm it gets up and go..

I went off roading in the truck with him last Christmas and it was so much fun. There was a tree laying flat down on the trail and my cousin engaged the crawl control feature and the truck effortlessly drove over the large tree limb. The off road package is great alternative to the wrangler as it's more daily driver friendly.

I would like one myself but these little trucks are exspensive. His sticker for $38k fully loaded with every option and had a factory installed tonneau cover and predator tube step running boards. He only got $2500 off MSRP when he bought so they aren't discounted as heavily like the domestic trucks since they sell so well. Maybe that's why the resale value on the Tacoma so good because they sale close to MSRP. His truck still books for almost $36k with 18,000 miles on it.

If you can afford the truck I would defiantly buy one.

Edit: I see you aren't interested in 4X4 so that should be 3k cheaper for a 2WD model. You can get one for $32k without the premium and tech package.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:23 PM

467 posts, read 1,045,202 times
I would recommend you really pay attention to the seating position. As far as I'm concerned, this is the Achilles heel on what is otherwise a bullet-proof truck. Like all previous Toyota compact trucks, the seat is very low to the floor. The high ground clearance and low roof line means there's little vertical room inside the cabin, and explains why there is no driver's seat height adjustment on any Tacoma model (at least, the last time I checked).

This may not bother you if you don't mind sitting on the floor with your legs straight out in front of you. It didn't bother me when I bought my '98 Tacoma. But I'm older now, and my body can't tolerate long road trips in this truck.

As far as mechanical reliability, Toyota's body-on-frame compact trucks (Tacoma) and SUVs (4Runner) are as good as it gets. They'll run forever, but don't expect lots of power or good gas mileage..

BTW...I'll never sell my Tacoma...fantastic truck.

Old 02-07-2017, 02:21 PM

850 posts, read 902,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieTX View Post
I would recommend you really pay attention to the seating position. As far as I'm concerned, this is the Achilles heel on what is otherwise a bullet-proof truck. Like all previous Toyota compact trucks, the seat is very low to the floor. The high ground clearance and low roof line means there's little vertical room inside the cabin, and explains why there is no driver's seat height adjustment on any Tacoma model (at least, the last time I checked).

This may not bother you if you don't mind sitting on the floor with your legs straight out in front of you. It didn't bother me when I bought my '98 Tacoma. But I'm older now, and my body can't tolerate long road trips in this truck.

As far as mechanical reliability, Toyota's body-on-frame compact trucks (Tacoma) and SUVs (4Runner) are as good as it gets. They'll run forever, but don't expect lots of power or good gas mileage..

BTW...I'll never sell my Tacoma...fantastic truck.
Good points. If the OP drives a Scion tC right now the seating position shouldn't bother him at all as the tC sits very low to the ground and the seating position in a Tacoma is like sitting up high in comparison also the 3rd gen tacomas are a lot bigger on the inside.

Old 02-07-2017, 03:14 PM

2,461 posts, read 2,477,919 times
I had a problem with the seating position on my 2010, but solved the problem by getting a boat cushion to sit on. The cab can also be hard to get into unless you're pretty agile.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:40 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,923,039 times
I was trying to find which one of the reviewing agencies recommended a "do not buy" on the Tacoma but I couldn't find it. It was on Yahoo about 2 months ago. Major rust issues was one of the main items. Seems the new ones are plagued with leaking windshields, noisy engines, steering issues among others. The comfort, well, their comment was you couldn't say comfort and the Tacoma all in one sentence in a positive way. But it depends on what size you are. I don't fit in one at all at 6'4". There's not near enough head room and I feel like I'm sitting on top of the passenger. May not be like that for you. The V6 is a gas eater, like a drunken sailor actually. My full size 4 door truck gets about the same gas mileage town driving as a Taco does hiway. My brother has one, an extended cab. He fits in his but he's only 5'6" and weighs 140lbs soaking wet. Even for him, it rides rough and it doesn't seem to miss a bump on the road. Repairs are incredible so expect it. Learn to deal with a shop rather than the dealer. To replace the muffler is close to a grand at the dealer. You have to buy the complete exhaust system. You can have a shop put one on for about 100 bucks. Parts are expensive. He and his wife both drive the Toyotas, hers is a Fore Runner Limited. It's non-stop in the shop and usually dead in the garage. They're on their last Toyotas. Like he says, "if I wanted this much trouble from a vehicle I could have bought a Ford". He plans on a new Ford truck this spring. He's very impressed with the Ford Supercrew I have. Loads of room, loads of power, great gas mileage, and it's quiet inside. But you may not want to heft of a full size. Car and Driver ranks the Tacoma next to last place against the Ridgeline, Colorado, Canyon, and Frontier. Might look at a Ridgeline while you're looking and apparently like the foreign made trucks. Here's the C&D review:
Toyota Tacoma Reviews - Toyota Tacoma Price, Photos, and Specs - Car and Driver

Apparently they still don't have a clue how to make a frame that doesn't rust out.
Toyota pickup frame rust lawsuit deal reached

Old 02-07-2017, 08:45 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,073 times
the tacoma, or taco, is one solid truck, with the japanese quality and reliability to back it up. i have experience with an older model, but this truck is as good as it gets in mid size pick ups.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:47 PM

6,802 posts, read 9,350,606 times
I had a 2014 and for all intents and purposes, it was fine. For me, the gas mileage was on par with most full-sized trucks and I didn't care for the seating position, but it was a good truck overall. I moved on to a 2016 Ram 1500 and I like the Ram a lot more, quite frankly.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:00 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
My son and I each had one back in the late '80 -- before they were called Tacomas. We were both very happy with ours -- trouble-free with little depreciation. I owned mine for 5-6 years and never had any problems. I bought gas, oil, filters and wiper blades. That was it in 5-6 years!

If you don't need to haul or tow much weight, I think they're ideal. I've had a couple each full-sized Fords and Chevys when I needed haulers. They did fine but were all too large for my garage(s). My last one was a diesel F250, bought new and driven for 14 years and 151K miles. Loved driving that thing, but it was anything BUT trouble-free.

Last edited by WyoNewk; 02-07-2017 at 10:10 PM..

Old 02-07-2017, 10:22 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times
My current Tacoma is a Gen 2 ('05-15 or so M.Y.) XRunner. I had a Gen 1 four-door w/short bed prior. The Gen 1 ran great, but was crude. The Gen 2 is somewhat slick. Hope the Gen 3 improves upon that with more modern controls and features. Gen 2 controls and features are functional, but definitely dated.

Rumor has it quality can slip on these, much to Toyota's shame. I wouldn't have believed it that they started shaving corners for margins, but it happens to the best of them. My Gen 2 has been freakishly trouble free...and I mean zippo outside of various wear and tear plus a seat belt return spring (covered under warranty), plus various recall work that was all pretty minor too. I'm a bit under 110K miles and cannot recommend these things highly enough if you want a not-exciting truck that mostly just works. I'm 5'11" with an inch or so longer than typical arms and legs, and the seating position doesn't bother me. Nor am I broken down or otherwise sufficiently disabled to have concerns with the seating position, I've done two 1K mile days in mine and was fine.

Why they don't come with the TRD Supercharger kit is beyond me, that's a scam. It should. I should have done that from Day 1. Ditto TRD big brake kit, which I actually did do before rolling it off the lot from new. Both these things give it real brakes and power that it should have had to begin with, but I guess Toyota can milk another seven or eight grand by offering these as Toyota authorized bolt-ons. With supercharger the big V6 (4.0 L) behaves like a small V8, c. 310 hp and similar torque. Mind, that's Gen 2 and I don't know about current generation's engine or other options.

Mine is eleven this year, and will in all probability make it to twenty or beyond. I have no intention of changing it out. I am not aware of any particular mechanical shortcomings, check Consumer Reports if there are troublespots others report. I suppose only caveat is cost of entry, but if you're keeping it fifteen years who cares. Resale is tremendous, too, should that ever be needed.

I'm disappointed the XRunners are gone, should I need to replace mine I'll have to custom-build something comparable and sport pickups are a bit out of style these days anyway (though it's still highly functional).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive