Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2009, 03:24 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,532,954 times

Advertisements

if it is on a highway/freeway, i always flash to let them know. plus, it can save a life. if you can get people to slow down, the better right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 03:27 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,532,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post

A previous poster wrote that he had been raised that flashing lights was the "courteous" thing to do. I would agree with that statement. The younger ppl of today ONLY care about themselves and to hell with everyone else. The motto for texas drivers used to be "Drive Friendly", now "Drive and think only about yourself"
I agree. Also, if you can warn someone to slow down, it might prevent an accident waiting to happen minutes later like in a school zone, etc. Saving lives is the key.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:08 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,165,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
The problem is relative to where you are driving. In small town texas and texas in general, the cops are merciless and will think nothing to pull you over for just a few miles over the speed limit. It is more a matter of making money for them rather than encouraging safety. I flash lights very generously when I see one of those money grubbing cops hustling drivers on the road. as a bitter exmaple, i was allegedly driving 10 miles over 55 in seguin, a small town. the area was pitch dark at night and the posted speed limit sign was the smallest one allowed by law. If safety was the main concern, they would have had better lighting and a much LARGER sign to keep ppl from speeding. Safety is NOT the main concern of these spped traps in texas. Generating revenue IS.

"
This is exactly the case. When speed limit signs are intentionally made small and not lit, you know what their motives are. It's all about money know matter how they say different. Same goes for red light cameras. They want to be able to grind out tickets in an assembly line fashion. Public safety has almost nothing to do with it. With states and local municipalities running low on cash, we can look forward to more of this type of thing.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:45 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,077,625 times
I ALWAYS flash my headlights as a warning.I have a C.B.,radar detector and a bearcat scanner with alert on it in my pickup truck( A 454 is HARD to keep under 55 mph) and I appreciate the extra help of folks flashing their lights and I always try to do the same for them.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:48 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,524,911 times
Speed kills, speeders need a ticket, it may save YOUR life some day

Old 01-11-2009, 05:04 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,581,966 times
Here's a story ... I was driving to work one day when I was still a cop (in my personal vehicle) and someone flashed their high beam at me so I slowed down. It was a small mountain town mind you people hit road kill and drive off the cliffs all the time. Anyways I passed by a coworker who just set up a speed trap. When I saw a car coming down the hill pretty fast, I flashed my high beam at him as well. Oh well my buddy gets 1 less citation to write, but we only write citations because there is a need to, if there are other ways to teach people safety, such as a warning them we prefer to do that. What goes around comes around, especially if your in a small mountain town.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:39 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,128,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Some years ago a Portlander actually wrote a sign he'd hold up when the police radared in a local school zone around a bend from his house. Finally, the police ticked him, but there was a public uproar they were forced to take back the ticket.
This guy should be rewarded, not punished. He was doing a better job at getting people to slow down for the school, than the cop was. He might of saved a kid's life because he got them to slow down BEFORE the school zone. If I was doing 50 and saw this guy with a sign the said "SPEED TRAP AHEAD", I would slow down immediatley. Then when I got around the bend, and saw the cop and the school with kids, here's what I would do.......I would pull over past the school, turn around and drive back to the guy with the sign, give him a $10 bill and tell him thanks.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:30 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,701,017 times
Trapster® - Speed Trap Sharing System - Great resource for those looking to avoid the fundraising law officers.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:30 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,531,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Speed kills, speeders need a ticket, it may save YOUR life some day
Speed DOESN'T kill. Driving too fast for conditions kills. DIFFERENCES in speed kill. Poor road design and poor signage kills. I speak from experience. I have no problem with reasonable speed limits on any given road. Setting artificially low limits to generate revenue is just WRONG.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:02 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,420,037 times
I always do.

Let the "cops" just sit there instead of filling city coffers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive