Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2009, 08:26 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,060,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
Let's face it, it's all about the money, not what speed you are driving. If the speed was really the issue, then the cops wouldn't speed either if not in pursuit or on an emergency call. But I see them roll stop signs, speed, not use turn signals, but are quick to write you a ticket for the same thing. It's nothing more than extra money for the city, county or state.
Exactly...

State Patrols Collect Billions From Speeding Tickets
Quote:
State Patrols Collect Billions From Speeding Tickets
Speeding ticket revenue amounts to as much as $2.3 billion for 40 state highway patrol agencies, with a list of the top ten ticket states.

Forty state highway patrols issued over 8.1 million citations for speeding in 2003, generating as much as $2.3 billion in revenue, according to an analysis of data found in the Governors Highway Safety Association "Survey of the States: Speeding" report. The number reflects the maximum base ticket amount for a first offense, not including common surcharges such as court costs and driver responsibility programs. Ten states reported that they do not collect data on the number of speeding citations issued.

The number of tickets issued by state patrols is only a fraction of the number of speeding tickets issued statewide by local police forces. In Florida, for example, state police issued 396,252 tickets worth up to $99 million in revenue. City and county police in Florida issued an additional 394,752 tickets worth up to $98.5 million. Insurance companies also generate revenue by increasing the annual insurance rates for speeding ticket recipients, which often exceeds the cost of the citation.
Indiana Adopts $1000 Speeding Tickets
Quote:
Indiana Adopts $1000 Speeding Tickets
The Indiana Department of Transportation to collect work zone speeding ticket revenue beginning July 1. Maximum citation increased to $1000.

The Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) will soon be the direct beneficiary of speeding ticket revenue under a bill recently signed by Governor Mitch Daniels (R). The measure gives INDOT the power to decrease speed limits "without conducting an engineering study and investigation" in highway work zones. INDOT can direct police to enforce this lowered limit, regardless of whether workers are actually present. The law also mandates that no work zone speed limit exceed 45 MPH.

As of July 1, INDOT will collect the revenue from these fines which the law also boosts significantly. The first offense runs $300, the second $500 and the third $1000. Anyone contesting the fine in court faces an additional $70 fee if found guilty.
Speeding? You'll pay higher 'taxes' - MSN Money

Quote:
Tickets are often as much about revenue as safety. And now, as a soured economy or other factors further empty coffers, many are turning to law enforcement to serve as part-time tax collectors -- with guns and badges.
The above are just a few examples of this madness. As to the 2nd article - I'm 100% in favour of ensuring safety of highway workers; but to blatantly state that no engineering or safety studies are needed, and that these fines are in place even when workers are not present?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 10:58 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
If its a 'trap' yes I will. I've been saved a few times on lonely country roads. Karma.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:15 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
Nope. I try not to exceed the posted limit. If you want to, you will have to take your chances.
Good luck.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:32 PM

353 posts, read 1,021,218 times
I have heard that flashing to warn of a speed trap is illegal in some states.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:45 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
No;why pay for enforcement and then help people break the law?

Old 01-28-2009, 01:59 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,706,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewMensch View Post
I have heard that flashing to warn of a speed trap is illegal in some states.

I've yet to see any law stating such - just people saying so, like rumor.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:06 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,133,406 times
I did flash when I was younger, but after a few tickets, I decided to let others take their chances.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
No;why pay for enforcement and then help people break the law?
(a) Maybe because the law has little to do with actual reality, of what the roads can safely handle.
(b) Maybe because the enforcement of this law is arbitrary.
(c) Maybe because the methods used are not as precise nor as accurate as some believe.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:54 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
(a) Maybe because the law has little to do with actual reality, of what the roads can safely handle.
(b) Maybe because the enforcement of this law is arbitrary.
(c) Maybe because the methods used are not as precise nor as accurate as some believe.
Same old gripe about every law that someone does like.It will make you gald thenh when they have the new auto speed cameras that if you speed you get a ticket;no human involved. Everybody has a excuse;then go to court and prove your points.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Same old gripe about every law that someone does like.It will make you gald thenh when they have the new auto speed cameras that if you speed you get a ticket;no human involved. Everybody has a excuse;then go to court and prove your points.
lol, nice try tex... but no cigar. And no I won't be gald or even glad when GPS units are in my vehicle and/or auto speed cameras snap my picture. You are missing the point here: Make the speed limits based on engineering, scientific studies - NOT on what law makers believe the limits should be. One quick example: on a state highway for years and years the legislature deemed it to be fit to only go 60. Well, now, and w/o any studies, and w/o any changes/improvements to the road/shoulder/etc., the speed limit went to 65. Why? How? Because some state congressional folk now live on that road and decided that they wanted it faster... Oh, and as to your suggestion to go to court... done tried that, don't work - even when the officer admits that there could have been something amiss w/ the reading, etc. Maybe you've had different experience with this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive