Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2012, 01:10 PM

219 posts, read 658,259 times

Advertisements

Nope. I had a friend who was really into it.

"ooo! ooo! Flash your headlights to warn that guy!" Me: "uh..ok" *click click* =/

but besides a few times with him in my car, nope I don't do it.

A- I'm not a speeder and really don't care if speeders get caught. EDIT: The debate about unfair speed traps IS a valid point, but I have encountered few of them in my few years of driving.

B- Most people (at least in my experience) don't even really understand what it means and you are just going to confuse them. It can mean so many different things: Is the guy angry at me? Did I leave my high-beams on accidentally? Is there something hanging out of my car? etc. etc.

Heck, that's what I thought before my friend told me what it meant. "did I leave my highs on?" "no, no, hes warning you about a cop up ahead" "oh....ok....? Thanks?, lol "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 01:12 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-a-thin View Post
Nope. I had a friend who was really into it.

"ooo! ooo! Flash your headlights to warn that guy!" Me: "uh..ok" *click click* =/

but besides a few times with him in my car, nope I don't do it.

A- I'm not a speeder and really don't care if speeders get caught.

B- Most people (at least in my experience) don't even really understand what it means and you are just going to confuse them. It can mean so many different things: Is the guy angry at me? Did I leave my high-beams on accidentally? Is there something hanging out of my car? etc. etc.

Heck, that's what I thought before my friend told me what it meant. "did I leave my highs on?" "no, no, hes warning you about a cop up ahead" "oh....ok....? Thanks?, lol "

And thanks for the chuckle.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:32 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
You bet I do. Anything to deny the badged revenue collectors their bounty.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:35 PM

774 posts, read 2,602,482 times
Yes I do 100% or the time. We need to stick together.

I just wish more people understood why I was flashing my lights at them.......

Old 07-01-2012, 08:02 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,485,769 times
I do not. Let the morons who think they are above the law get the ticket.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:25 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,949,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
It's not naivety.

I know speeding tickets, and court costs when the ticket is contested, generate revenue. I don't begrudge the police force this revenue. Regardless of what kind of reputation a cop, or a force, may have, you can't deny the fact that these people put their lives on the line in their work.

When someone is driving 90 mph when everyone else is going 72, that idiot is endangering everyone on the road. To maintain a speed faster than everyone else, they often have to weave, which increases the likelihood an accident will occur. It might not even be the speeder who is in the accident, it might be some innocent driver trying to avoid the speeder.

Excessive speeding affects everyone. I'm glad there are people brave enough to sit on the highway and wait for those drivers to go by, go after them, stop them and issue tickets.
Sorry, but that is actually very naive.

Law enforcement agencies love to say that they're doing you a favor by sitting on the side of the road stuffing their face with donuts and collecting hundreds of dollars a pop from anyone who has anywhere to go, and you're eating it all up.

Speeding tickets criminalize decent law-abiding citizens, especially when the courts act like you're wasting their precious time whenever you exercise your right to challenge the ticket. Also, speeding tickets cause feelings of contempt from the general populace against the cops that are supposed to be protecting them instead of punishing them. This is why so many people hate cops; to most of the general populace, their interaction with cops is limited to traffic stops that result in hefty fines. If their experience with cops was more positive, then there wouldn't be so much angst between the two groups.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:28 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,027,479 times
I do

Old 07-01-2012, 09:06 PM

50 posts, read 99,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkme73 View Post
Hmmm. You mean the guys that themselves to 92 in a 55, no lights/sirens... get waived on with a "have a nice day" when they get pulled over for speeding in their personal vehicles (professional courtesy)...
Just thought I'd elaborate on this point... Recorded first hand... And while that kind of driving is infuriating to the general public, what's even more disgusting are the comments from cops who try to justify it. No excuse is good enough for John Q. Public to exceed the speed limit, yet there is always a legitimate reason for cops (who are not on a call) to do it...

Old 07-02-2012, 07:09 AM

556 posts, read 1,228,358 times
I speed. I flash.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:35 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
Speeding tickets criminalize decent law-abiding citizens, especially when the courts act like you're wasting their precious time whenever you exercise your right to challenge the ticket. Also, speeding tickets cause feelings of contempt from the general populace against the cops that are supposed to be protecting them instead of punishing them. This is why so many people hate cops; to most of the general populace, their interaction with cops is limited to traffic stops that result in hefty fines. If their experience with cops was more positive, then there wouldn't be so much angst between the two groups.

Sorry but if you are a law abiding citizen then you wouldn't be speeding. I never flash my lights. If you are speeding, then you deserve to get a ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive