Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 10:53 AM

127 posts, read 143,521 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I have outgrown our CR-V and are currently looking for a new SUV with third-row seating. The problem is, we have two little ones in car seats and it seems that many of the SUVs with third row options aren't too accommodating when it comes to accessing the third row. Does anyone know of any SUVs that have third row seating with manageable access? Hoping to stay in the 25-35k range ideally.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 10:55 AM

17,302 posts, read 12,245,675 times
Stop fighting it and just get a minivan. Perform so much better as people haulers and have more cargo space than even the biggest SUVs.

Old 02-14-2017, 11:01 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,929,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Stop fighting it and just get a minivan. Perform so much better as people haulers and have more cargo space than even the biggest SUVs.

^^^

Agreed.

Defying logic when one wants 3rd row SUV with access when 2nd row is occupied with 2 car seats.

Old 02-14-2017, 11:25 AM

127 posts, read 143,521 times
Haha, I'm all for it actually, I just need to convince the wife. The Odyssey and the Pacifica look like two really great options in that arena.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:09 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,665,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkme323 View Post
Hello,

My wife and I have outgrown our CR-V and are currently looking for a new SUV with third-row seating. The problem is, we have two little ones in car seats and it seems that many of the SUVs with third row options aren't too accommodating when it comes to accessing the third row. Does anyone know of any SUVs that have third row seating with manageable access? Hoping to stay in the 25-35k range ideally.

Thanks

We were in the same predicament and we looked at minivans, but we had some additional needs (like towing capacity and more cargo capacity) that pushed us back to a full size Expedition EL.

While the 2nd row is a bench seat, it is very easily accessible with a couple of lever pulls. The seat flips up out of the way and you can walk back into the 3rd row seating area with very little effort. The 2nd and 3rd row also have car seat hooks so getting a seat base in and out is easy enough. If you want the bases to remain locked into the 2nd row seats, then look for models with 2nd row captain's chairs.

What we also liked was that unlike a minivan, we have a higher ride height and more storage capacity with the 3rd row folded out, but have the option to fold down the 3rd row seating and use the entire cargo area while having car seats in the car.

But.... there is a premium with the SUV in that it isn't quite as good on fuel economy with a large V8 (15mg/17mpg) however that wasn't an issue for us.

I would recommend driving both types (SUVs and minivans) and determining which suits your needs the best. Both can be had for under $35k.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:34 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times
When I had that predicament, I just went and bought an Expedition. It's big enough to have one car seat in the middle, one car seat on one side, and still get the seat down to get to the 3rd row.

A lot of SUVs now come with captains chairs in the second row, so you can just walk between them to get to the third row. Of course, that makes it a 6 passenger car rather than a 7 passenger. Check out the Pilot and Explorer. Both offer this option.

Old 02-14-2017, 01:17 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,291,679 times
The GM Lambda crossovers (Traverse/Acadia/Enclave) have the option of second row bucket seats which makes the third row more accessible. They also fit within your price range.

Disclaimer: I work for GM and don't really mean for this to be a commercial.

Old 02-14-2017, 01:54 PM

8,692 posts, read 11,078,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
+1000. Nothing beats a minivan in terms of optimizing space, safety, great gas mileage, easy to drive & access to 3rd row.

Old 02-14-2017, 05:37 PM

22 posts, read 29,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
+1000. Nothing beats a minivan in terms of optimizing space, safety, great gas mileage, easy to drive & access to 3rd row.
Except......it's a minivan. No offense, anyone.

Old 02-14-2017, 05:40 PM

22 posts, read 29,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkme323 View Post
Hello,

Thanks
Hey buddy! My wife would shoot me if I ever bought home a minivan (and I would let her because I'd deserve it). How about a Dodge Ram with the Mega Cab (thats what I have, BTW)? Very roomy rear seat. Like VERY. Look into it. Plus, a pickup ALWAYS looks Cool, & badass. Always. Your kids, when they grow up would much rather be seen in a HD Dodge Ram, then a minivan. Just Sayin'!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive