Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2017, 12:27 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,089,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Yes they do. However that still doesn't explain why it costs more to keep a BMW on the road than a Mercedes or Audi. It also doesn't explain why Porsche as a brand is far more reliable than BMW either.

You drive an older 7 series, from a time when they were more reliable. My BMW's were from the same era. Proper maintenance goes a long way to keeping them running properly. But BMW has never enjoyed the same level of reliability that say, Mercedes has (which for many people, would also consider very unreliable.) Not now, not ever. If you think they have you are kidding yourself.

If I'm kidding myself than why, pray tell have I not spent thousands per month or year to keep ANY of mine running? Hmm?? Or any in my family? Or any in my owners club? if you can say for certain it costs more to keep a BMW on the road than any other car, then why have I not had to? Even statistically if you were correct, I would have only had one, MAYBE two, out of all of them that would have been more reliable than others, bun not ALL of them. Trust me, I'm not that lucky.

And Mercedes? You mean the ones with the biodegradeable wiring harnesses? Or the ones with the oil that seeps back up through the wiring harness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 01:03 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,235,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
If I'm kidding myself than why, pray tell have I not spent thousands per month or year to keep ANY of mine running? Hmm?? Or any in my family? Or any in my owners club? if you can say for certain it costs more to keep a BMW on the road than any other car, then why have I not had to? Even statistically if you were correct, I would have only had one, MAYBE two, out of all of them that would have been more reliable than others, bun not ALL of them. Trust me, I'm not that lucky.

And Mercedes? You mean the ones with the biodegradeable wiring harnesses? Or the ones with the oil that seeps back up through the wiring harness?
I've already told you. You have an older BMW. The newer ones are less reliable and cost more to maintain. You can argue with the data all you want, it makes no difference to me.

As far as Mercedes goes, an older Mercedes W126 can be driven for a million miles. BMW's of that era don't even come close to their reliability. There's a reason why taxi cabs in Europe are almost always Mercedes, and never BMW.

Mercedes has made plenty of unreliable models. The brand as a whole is still more reliable than BMW, and that's always been the case.

Old 02-23-2017, 02:42 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,266,348 times
Disclaimer - I haven't read the whole thread.

I'm on my fourth BMW - all e36 and e46 (likely won't buy anything past an e46, but we'll see).

I can't explain why they're amazing cars, but when you drive it you know. You have to appreciate that type of thing though - my mother bought a BMW and got rid of it after a month because it was "too bumpy" and "too hard to steer".

That being said, BMW's in general are enormous pieces of junk as far as reliability and maintenance go. I can't speak for more recent models, but e36's and e46's were consistently plagued with issues, especially related to cooling. Suspension components were always an issue as well, but being a sports car that is a little more acceptable to me. Other little things like window regulators, door panels falling off, sagging headliners, etc, are all very small things that should almost never be an issue.

Love my BMW's but man they can eat away at you, especially if you aren't a DIY'er.

Old 02-23-2017, 02:43 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,730,843 times
Plus Tiffer E38 is a DIY'er and car enthusiast. He can probably diagnose a car from the sound of the clicking or smell emanating from exhaust. Most of us are not that fortunate. Heck most don't even have Torx bits to work on BMW's

Old 02-23-2017, 02:49 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,730,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Disclaimer - I haven't read the whole thread.

I'm on my fourth BMW - all e36 and e46 (likely won't buy anything past an e46, but we'll see).

I can't explain why they're amazing cars, but when you drive it you know. You have to appreciate that type of thing though - my mother bought a BMW and got rid of it after a month because it was "too bumpy" and "too hard to steer".

That being said, BMW's in general are enormous pieces of junk as far as reliability and maintenance go. I can't speak for more recent models, but e36's and e46's were consistently plagued with issues, especially related to cooling. Suspension components were always an issue as well, but being a sports car that is a little more acceptable to me. Other little things like window regulators, door panels falling off, sagging headliners, etc, are all very small things that should almost never be an issue.

Love my BMW's but man they can eat away at you, especially if you aren't a DIY'er.
Have an E46. Can relate. Have had all those issues as well as unsealed headlight housing among other things. Things just creep up.

And yes, it's been maintained. Not sure how one maintains a window regulator. One shouldn't be expected to constantly use windows so the regulators don't die. This is a known issue with E46.

Also experienced infamous oil filter housing gasket.

Old 02-23-2017, 03:01 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,266,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Have an E46. Can relate. Have had all those issues as well as unsealed headlight housing among other things. Things just creep up.

And yes, it's been maintained. Not sure how one maintains a window regulator. One shouldn't be expected to constantly use windows so the regulators don't die. This is a known issue with E46.

Also experienced infamous oil filter housing gasket.
I had my DME just up and die on me a couple months ago with no warning. Another common issue. I'm sorry but there's no excuse for something like an ECU/DME to just croak, even on a 15 year old car.

A $900 dollar rebuild later (new would have been $1200+), and I was back up and running. Bummer since that's probably 30% of what the car is worth, but it just keeps begging me to put money into it.

Edit: Oh yeah I also did my final stage resistor recently which is also a pretty common failure.

Edit2: Oh oh oh. I can't forget about the GM5 module that I also had to have rebuilt. Another REALLY common one. I actually got locked inside of the car with my kids due to the failed GM5 module. Thankfully my window regulator was working so I could open the window to unlock the door...lol.

Last edited by m378; 02-23-2017 at 03:13 PM..

Old 02-23-2017, 03:47 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,235,035 times
Don't forget about the rear subframes cracking.

I have a friend who built a business around that particular BMW design flaw, welding in reinforced steel.

Old 02-23-2017, 04:26 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,902,567 times
BMW- Bring My Wallet

Old 02-23-2017, 04:32 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,657,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
BMW- Bring My Wallet

lmao! I got another acronym but it's not appropriate....

Old 02-23-2017, 05:42 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,824,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodUsernamesWereTaken View Post
Junkyards?

yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
You're not going to get used parts for that Nova that makes the suspension anywhere NEAR as good as STOCK BMW suspension and brakes. Sorry, not gonna happen (I've built numerous domestic hot rods/customs/muscle cars. I know what's available. It's why I went to BMW, the platform is just that much better to start with). Sure, you can make it quick in a straight line, that's easy. I've done it with many of my domestic muscle cars. But you're not going to get the all around package with that Nova or any old domestic car: suspension, brakes, interior, etc. Not with used parts, and not for $15k. There's a reason Pro Touring cars that work almost as well cost $50k and up to build, even if you DIY.
you assume too much. you assume that any used parts that i would obtain for the suspension would remain unmodified. but i wasnt speaking of used suspension parts, but rather getting a used engine from something like a suburban, the LQ4 makes about 300hp stock, and that can be bumped up substantially fairly easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive