Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2017, 08:52 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times

Advertisements

I never have to worry about when to change the air because my car has a stale tire air
warning light right beside the low tire pressure one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 09:42 PM

375 posts, read 297,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Geez what brought that on,Lefty crecent wrenches blah blah blah. Reported
Go ahead and report.

For what?

I'm quite on topic...I'm simply pointing out the absurdity of the premise of the OP. And thus, using a metaphor so as to illustrate my opinion of it.

Thanks, though!

Old 02-23-2017, 05:21 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,367,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX Star View Post
Go ahead and report.

For what?

I'm quite on topic...I'm simply pointing out the absurdity of the premise of the OP. And thus, using a metaphor so as to illustrate my opinion of it.

Thanks, though!
Just because you're not up on the latest automotive maintenance techniques doesn't mean you have to get all snippy about it or act like people are being stupid just because they choose to take the time to fine-tune aspects of their automobile that most people ignore.

Some people had the same reaction when they were first told that the earth was round or that the moon landing was staged, but if you open your mind and are willing to learn, I think you'll be amazed how much better your motoring experience can get.

Old 02-23-2017, 05:50 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
I bet air for tires becomes like bottled water. Years ago, we got our drinking water out of the tap, but now, most people prefer bottled water. I bet tire air will be bottled in the future, for those people who drive exotic cars.........and, after a while, we will all start using bottled air.

They will probably import it from places like the Alps, where the air is pristine.

Old 02-23-2017, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I bet air for tires becomes like bottled water. Years ago, we got our drinking water out of the tap, but now, most people prefer bottled water. I bet tire air will be bottled in the future, for those people who drive exotic cars.........and, after a while, we will all start using bottled air.

They will probably import it from places like the Alps, where the air is pristine.
I don't get why people like individually bottled air. I have an air cooler and a few big five-gallon jugs and I go the air store and fill them up a couple times a month. Frees up space in the refrigerator too since the air cooler keeps your air cool which is critical in this hot environment.

Most air coolers also have an air heater but you don't need that much in this climate.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:16 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
I don't get why people like individually bottled air. I have an air cooler and a few big five-gallon jugs and I go the air store and fill them up a couple times a month. Frees up space in the refrigerator too since the air cooler keeps your air cool which is critical in this hot environment.

Most air coolers also have an air heater but you don't need that much in this climate.

I wonder if some of the bigger chain auto repair places will start carrying those air coolers ? Sounds like an opportunity there.

One concern I have is bootlegged air.......coming in from other countries that have pollution problems. How could you tell the difference ?

BTW, it is nice to see such a lengthy, informative thread on this little known subject.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:31 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,431 times
^^^^^^^
Bottled air will also come as a life savior if you happen to be living in a country/city that has a lot of air pollution. Our body mechanism can handle bad air but tires go completely mad if you pollute their share of air (I heard they threat to de-unionized) so keep bottles handy if you have to "change" air in those cities.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:40 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
How do you prevent the premium air from getting stolen? Are there locking caps for the valve?

Old 02-23-2017, 06:41 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Well I'm joining Costco today because my son needs new tires for his Charger. Should I ask for the helium or nitrogen to be put in them?

Old 02-23-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Well I'm joining Costco today because my son needs new tires for his Charger. Should I ask for the helium or nitrogen to be put in them?
Please let me re post my favorite response so far from this thread. This is some next-level thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post

You guys are so primitive with your "air" and "nitrogen".

I went to Argon and will never look back. Ar atoms have larger radii so they don't leak as easily as nitrogen and the inert nature makes it superior to plain old air in terms of corrosion potential. Also, low coefficient of thermal expansion eliminates the need to check pressures after dramatic atmospheric change.
The only question is where to get a good, consistent supply of the stuff. They don't have it at your gas stations and tire shops because it's so far ahead of the game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive