Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 06:09 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodUsernamesWereTaken View Post
Yes, and why should I not be? I served my punishment in the eyes of the law and have had an impeccable record since. One isolated incident of poor judgement once upon a time doesn't negate the fact that I am both a good driver, and a safe driver. I'm also a human being subject to imperfections.

Now that we've confirmed that you have it right, what's your next point going to be?

Well, companies that have you driving have to have some standards to protect themselves and their customers, so, unfortunately, you did not fit that standard. My one son got a DUI when he was in college and working delivering pizzas. He was taken off the road and had to work inside because they wouldn't allow him to drive under their name. You may think your time was served, but that DUI will follow you around for a long time.

As for Uber, both my sons use it all the time, when they want to go out and have a few drinks and not have to drive. They love it, and always tip the driver because of the prompt, courteous service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 06:48 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Yes, and why should I not be? I served my punishment in the eyes of the law and have had an impeccable record since. One isolated incident of poor judgement once upon a time doesn't negate the fact that I am both a good driver, and a safe driver. I'm also a human being subject to imperfections.

Now that we've confirmed that you have it right, what's your next point going to be?

I wouldn't have hired you either. For something other than one that required you to drive people around sure

Old 02-21-2017, 07:35 AM
A02

74 posts, read 103,051 times
One of the few companies where no matter how good/beneficial their product may be, I absolutely refuse to use them based on their business ethics. Especially in regards to how they treat employees (both drivers and women in their corporate workplace).

Old 02-21-2017, 07:41 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A02 View Post
One of the few companies where no matter how good/beneficial their product may be, I absolutely refuse to use them based on their business ethics. Especially in regards to how they treat employees (both drivers and women in their corporate workplace).
Bravo! I took them off my phone. Only used Lyft in the past and that is who I will continue to use on vacations.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:57 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
Uber / Lyft etc is like playing the lotto or Russian roulette. I've only used it a few times and had good drivers but I'm somewhat scare to see who/what pulls up.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:48 AM

846 posts, read 1,400,717 times
I'm too lazy to quote but the issue of tipping is not the first time, nor the last, that I have heard that argument. Lyft incorporates the option to tip into their app and cash is not required to tip. If I go above and beyond -- as with any service industry -- getting a small financial reward is not a horrible option to have. We keep 100% of our tips.

I also take Uber/Lyft semi-frequently as I live in Chicago. However, I agree that there are many cars/people that should not be on the road. I have the ride sharing insurance through my personal auto insurance and have $1 million in coverage. Luckily, I am not one of those people.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:50 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,344 times
Quote:

I don't think a DUI should exclude someone from getting many types of jobs, outside of possibly viewing it as a character flaw I don't think it affects your ability to do your job, but I certainly wouldn't be salty if a company who hires drivers wouldn't hire you. If nothing but off principle alone. Do I think you would show up drunk with a flask when you're driving people around? No, but it's far from unreasonable for them to say no.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:08 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Uber / Lyft etc is like playing the lotto or Russian roulette. I've only used it a few times and had good drivers but I'm somewhat scare to see who/what pulls up.
This makes no sense whatsoever. You can see who/what they are as soon as they respond to your request. You get their photo, the type of car, and their license plate number before they even begin their trip to your house or other location. So if you are scared of who they are or what they look like , you can cancel the request.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:32 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times
Quote:
I don't support them anymore after finding out both from first hand accounts, and personal experience how ridiculous and unfair their hiring practices are. I had a DUI that was expunged in court and erased from my criminal record but they refuse to acknolwedge such details and stick with the binary thought process that such a blemish excludes you immediately if it happened in the last 10 years. That's apalling and they won't get a dime from me.
It's a business decision based upon insurance liability and risk avoidance. Businesses that involve driving have every right to take a DUI into consideration in their hiring, even if it's been expunged. My sister-in-Law had a DUI expunged. A local car dealership took a chance in hiring her to work in the service department. Part of her job was to drive the serviced car out to the waiting customer. New Years Eve she decided to go out drinking. She was in a wreck and was drunk. The dealership's insurance refused to cover her for driving and so she was fired. And that expunged record? It came back at her trial.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:18 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,814,294 times
In my town there is no question that Uber is better than Taxi when you need a quick ride the estimated wait time is 90 minutes or more from the point of scheduling a Taxi ride unless you know exactly when you need the Taxi and call 24 hours in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive