Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 01:42 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,877,527 times

Advertisements

I will only drive a car with DR on my license plate so people think I am rich. This discussion is pointless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 02:36 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
I will only drive a car with DR on my license plate so people think I am rich. This discussion is pointless.
What so many do not realize, is wealthy people do not drive high priced specialty cars for safeties sake. They do not want to draw attention to themselves when they are away from home on the road. Driving cars that stand out, make them vulnerable for kidnappers, and especially people that would put themselves in a position to be in an accident with the rich person, to try to get a bunch of money for a settlement.

Years ago, I knew a couple where the husband was when we meant head of a major motor company, and just before I left the area was elected the governor of Michigan. Mitt Romney's mother and father. He was just a school boy when we knew the family. Fantastic people who rose from a very, very humble background. Even after he become governor he drove a 10 year old basic sedan when off duty for his and his families protection. He could safely move around, without attracting attention.

When out in public, it is safer for the richer ones in the country to be out and about in a vehicle that fits in and does not draw attention to the occupants.

So it is not surprising people in upper income brackets like things like the F-150, which for anyone that does not recognize it F-150 says Ford Pickup. Today mostly 4 door cabs, and 4X4 drive. It is by many considered the most dangerous car in the country. The danger comes if you run into one especially head on. The F-150 may not even be damaged, but the small car that hits it and it's passengers are in serious trouble.

Old 02-24-2017, 03:10 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
What so many do not realize, is wealthy people do not drive high priced specialty cars for safeties sake. They do not want to draw attention to themselves when they are away from home on the road. Driving cars that stand out, make them vulnerable for kidnappers, and especially people that would put themselves in a position to be in an accident with the rich person, to try to get a bunch of money for a settlement.

Years ago, I knew a couple where the husband was when we meant head of a major motor company, and just before I left the area was elected the governor of Michigan. Mitt Romney's mother and father. He was just a school boy when we knew the family. Fantastic people who rose from a very, very humble background. Even after he become governor he drove a 10 year old basic sedan when off duty for his and his families protection. He could safely move around, without attracting attention.

When out in public, it is safer for the richer ones in the country to be out and about in a vehicle that fits in and does not draw attention to the occupants.

So it is not surprising people in upper income brackets like things like the F-150, which for anyone that does not recognize it F-150 says Ford Pickup. Today mostly 4 door cabs, and 4X4 drive. It is by many considered the most dangerous car in the country. The danger comes if you run into one especially head on. The F-150 may not even be damaged, but the small car that hits it and it's passengers are in serious trouble.

Old 02-24-2017, 03:20 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
One really has to define rich.

To many, if you have $1,000 extra cash in the bank you are rich.
To many, if you have $10,000 extra cash in the bank you are rich.
To many, if you have $100,000 extra cash in bank you are really rich.
To many, if you have $1,000,000 extra cash in bank you are really, really, rich.
Above that you are in the 1% and money is no object.
Although all rich people I know never ever have enough money.

There is no difference between a Toyota Highlander and a Porsche Cayenne. Except one costs more money and has more "status" (to some). Oh, the Porsche people will scream how much "better" their Porsche is. All just hogwash. Yes, the Porsche has more "buttons". Big deal !
Well. Aqua Velva will get you just as drunk as Dom Perignon too. And if you can't tell the difference, I guess you might as well save your money, right?

Old 02-24-2017, 03:29 PM

18,132 posts, read 25,286,567 times
I'm not rich, but my car cost me what I make in one month, I've been driving it for 2-1/2 years

Old 02-24-2017, 05:49 PM

998 posts, read 1,236,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
real wealthy enthusiast will much rather have a GT3 over a Turbo anyday. GT3 is one scary car to drive.
Naw ... GT2

Old 02-24-2017, 06:20 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regajohn View Post
Naw ... GT2
Correct. There is little "scary" about a GT3, they hold the road and corner like mad. I have not driven a 991 Turbo or /S, but have driven a 991 GT3 that belongs to our local go-fast shop. They wanted a little too much for it, used, all murdered-out in black. So I went with a C4 GTS instead, a Carrera with just about every option bolted on and is a bit easier to deal with day to day in Seattle weather (e.g., has AWD).

My GTS is quick but not quite like that of a GT3 and surely no Turbo in how it delivers.

The ideas people get in their heads, my my. To point of the thread, the above (including GT2s) are enthusiasts cars, real sports cars that can be used for track days or actual club racing. Cars that the wealthy buy that actually challenge them to drive quickly.

I'm growing a bit contemptuous of "supercars" that cost tons but aren't operated out on a track very much, or anywhere else other than the sandy roads of some Emirate by guys named Prince Fasil. They do ultimately have higher performance limits, I suppose, but the $400K and up car crowd have an outlook I don't...quite...get.

Was at Ferrari Seattle the other week, observing a used F430 and same in 'Scud version. Again, real enthusiast cars one can buy for mortal-man prices (c. $90-160K, used in that case). Toys, all of it, or what I like to think of as "expensive hobbies."

Old 02-24-2017, 08:09 PM

865 posts, read 623,144 times
FWIW, I worked for a mid-sized business that was raking in the $$, had three owners. The CEO was a flashy guy and drove a Mercedes SLK, the other two drove a Chevy Avalanche and a F-250 King Ranch.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:21 PM

787 posts, read 644,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Surprised to see such humble cars as the Civic at this level of income or do you expect this as wealthier folks tend to prioritize making their money work for them rather than spend it?

Making $200k+
Ford F-150
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Honda Pilot
Jeep Wrangler
Honda Civic

400k+
Lexus RX350
Tessa Model S
Honda Civic

500k+
F-150
2 Land Rover Models
BMW X5
Lexus RX350

Top 5 vehicles rich Americans are most likely to drive | Clark Howard
It's very unsurprising, there are many wealthy people who don't flaunt their money and you couldn't guess their net worth just by looking at them. Most of the moderately wealthy people are there partially because they are frugal, in some ways, or in all, and that's wise, financially. Not all of us have that kind of self control.

You see people like athletes and actors and artists flaunt money because many of them aren't educated, and the others do it because it's part of their image, their persona, but many of those same people are broke years later.

The people who run around in expensive cars often are people like me, making less than 200k but north of 100k, we make enough to afford it, and we want it, and we acquire it and have fun with it. Let each man chose what he wants to do with his money. We all have our passions, our hobbies, our vices.

Old 02-25-2017, 04:42 AM

572 posts, read 435,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
A majority of people are not car enthusiasts, so they would they waste money on higher end cars?
Because..... Audi.

I notice many, many "hot shots" flock to Audi.

They also do with Honda, to an extent..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive