Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 02:02 PM

29 posts, read 82,385 times

Advertisements

Every time I have ever had to buy a used car, I somehow always end up with a lemon. Back when I was younger, this wasn't so much a problem because I could push myself off the road. Now days, I am too old for that and have too many health problems. So, buying a car for me needs to be something with a little more certainty and a lot less "oh well" So on that note, I need some opinions.

I know there are a lot of Ford fans and Chevy fans out there and thats all great, but I really need honest opinions from people who have driven or worked on the three/four vehicles I am being offered to choose from, before I make a huge mistake. Some makes/models are known for issues and I am hoping someone here can be kind enough to stop me from stepping into a pile, by buying wrong. PLEASE.

First car is a 1998 Ford Expedition (Eddie Bauer) V8 with 190,000 miles on it for $3,000 from a dealer. Claims it runs good and I have an appointment to test drive tomorrow. Inside has some wear and tear but nothing too awful.

Second car is a 2004 Chevy Blazer LS 4.3L with 195,000 miles on it for $3,200. The inside is immaculate. This car is also from a dealer. This dealer is offering to drive it from an hour and a half away to where I am just so I can see and test it. Also tomorrow. Part of me thinks hey that is an awesome thing to do and it must be a great ride, other part of me is paranoid and wonders why he would go to so much trouble if it was such a great car and someone more local to him could snatch it up. lol crazy right?

And third, is a 2005 Suzuki Forenza, with 115,000 miles on it, that is reported to be in great shape from the first dealer who has the expedition. It's a manual transmission and gets great gas mileage BUT I know that Suzuki went bankrupt here in the US and no longer makes cars here, which would make the parts hard of not impossible to find. Am I wrong?

And, last but not least, is a 1989 Extended Cab Chevrolet 3500 454 7.4 L 4x4 Manual with 120,000 on the body and 4,500 on a new motor. The inside of this thing is pretty worn and torn due to probably being some guys work rig. Haven't test driven this yet, as I was leaning more towards the other three first.

Can anyone offer suggestions, or opinions/help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 02:12 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Do you need a car?

I am assuming you have limited funds, and those selections look like a money trap to me.

A service like Uber might be better for your needs.

How is your credit?

Old 02-26-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Do you need a car?

I am assuming you have limited funds, and those selections look like a money trap to me.

A service like Uber might be better for your needs.

How is your credit?

Yes, very limited funds, and only have this one opportunity to buy something reliable that will hopefully last a few years at least.

Uber is not an option. And my credit is toast from previous divorces. Used car and cash is my only option.

What do you mean by money trap? You don't believe any of them would be a decent buy?

Old 02-26-2017, 02:28 PM

I do not think any of them are a decent buy. They are worn out, and are for people with some funds and mechanical knowledge to dump into them.

When you say your credit is "toast", how much?

Why is Uber not an option?

Old 02-26-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
I do not think any of them are a decent buy. They are worn out, and are for people with some funds and mechanical knowledge to dump into them.

When you say your credit is "toast", how much?

Why is Uber not an option?

My credit runs around 500. Possibly lower. Haven't checked in a while.

As for Uber, I'm not vastly knowledgeable about them, but aren't they nothing more than a type of taxi service? I do not want to be calling on some service to take me places. I want to drive myself and be able to just go when the mood strikes or if I need to. I'm not so old that I cannot still take myself places. lol

Old 02-26-2017, 02:48 PM

Yea, 500 is petty low.

Depending on where you live, Uber is a great alternative, and in my opinion, much better than the potential money trap deals you are looking to get into. I have not one but two new cars, and I use Uber or Lyft.

Uber (and Lyft) are easy to use, and low cost. I would use alternative transportation means until you rebuild your credit, then take your improved credit and money and go purchase a slightly used Corolla or something similar. Your payment will be very low and manageable, and you will have a reliable car with low miles and a warranty.

If you need a car for things Uber cannot meet your needs on, then you can always just rent.

Does Uber operate where you live?

It seems the number one thing poor people dump money on that makes them poorer is cars.

Old 02-26-2017, 02:50 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,247,100 times
The gas alone for most of those beat up vehicles...

Old 02-26-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Yea, 500 is petty low.

Depending on where you live, Uber is a great alternative, and in my opinion, much better than the potential money trap deals you are looking to get into. I have not one but two new cars, and I use Uber or Lyft.

Uber (and Lyft) are easy to use, and low cost. I would use alternative transportation means until you rebuild your credit, then take your improved credit and money and go purchase a slightly used Corolla or something similar. Your payment will be very low and manageable, and you will have a reliable car with low miles and a warranty.

If you need a car for things Uber cannot meet your needs on, then you can always just rent.

Does Uber operate where you live?

It seems the number one thing poor people dump money on that makes them poorer is cars.

You are very pro Uber. lol Guess it's good to believe in something, and I thank you very much for your kind opinions. Uber, Lyft, and renting is not something I am looking to do. But again, thank you very much for all of your thoughts. I guess I prefer to just remain a poor person dumping money on a car and making myself poorer.

I look forward to hearing from others.

Old 02-26-2017, 03:01 PM

431 posts, read 352,135 times
The first thing you need to do is find a good reputable local independent mechanic. Now, I know this is easier said than done but do some internet research, get referrals and check this site:

Mechanics Files | Car Talk

Once you find a good one and have checked them out, have them do a PPI (pre-purchase inspection) on what ever vehicle you are looking at. Most will do this for a nominal fee ($45 to $85). It is well worth the money spent. If the dealer isn't willing to let you take the car to your mechanic then find another dealer. Don't believe the "We had our mechanic check it out and it's fine" line.

The Expedition probably has the 5.4 engine. These are good motors but known to have issue with spark plugs getting seized. I had a 2007 F-150 Lariat that had 335K on the original motor. Only had to replace the trans at 250K miles and cats. Someone ran a red light and t-boned me otherwise I would have kept driving it. You are going to see around 17-18 MPG freeway and around 13 MPG city with it.

The Blazer is newer, will get better mileage, and being smaller will be easier to drive and park.

I'd stay away from the Suzuki because servicing may be difficult.

The Chevy truck will be a serious gas hog.

I'd usually recommend an extended warranty for someone like you but the vehicles you are looking at are too high mileage and it would be cost prohibitive.

If the guy is going to bring the Blazer to you then you should be able to have him bring it to a mechanic near you for the PPI. If it checks out the sales guy is going to try to get you to buy but remember, at this point you have the upper hand in negotiations as he is not going to want to drive it back.

Do your due diligence first. Check NADA and KBB for retail sales book value. Also check CL or Auto Trader to see what comparable vehicles are selling for remembering that prices shown are asking price, not selling price. Selling price could be lower.

Once you purchase you vehicle have the newly found mechanic do you regular maintenance. A good shop will inform you of your vehicle's status without trying to talk you into unnecessary repairs. When I had my shop we did oil changes at cost for our regular customers. We did this as a service to retain our good customers but it gave us time (while the oil was draining) to look over the car (brakes, bearings, TRE's, u-joints, tires, etc) and make appropriate recommendations and advance warnings of upcoming repairs like brakes will need replacement in the next couple thousand miles or you have a bad u-joint that should be replaced now. Even on item like tires that we didn't even sell.

Yes, a Honda or Toyota will be more reliable generally but I've had many American vehicles that have had high miles with no issues. Mostly due to a high level of preventative maintenance on them. If you ignore maintenance even a Honda or Toyota will give you problems.

Old 02-26-2017, 03:09 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
it won't help now, but you can get that credit score up. You'll need it later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive