Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 05:42 PM

25 posts, read 21,324 times

Advertisements

ive looked at pricing. i want the cheapest possible. looks like the sport model with stick shift. but its only around 2k more for the upgraded engine and i get automatic transmission with that.

i want to spend the least possible. should i wait until september/october?

i think thats when good rebates are offered.

mazda doesnt rank too high when it comes to reliability so i will get extended warranty if its less than 1k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 06:59 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,236,388 times
Take a serious look at the Kia Forte5. That's what I ended up with after shopping for a fun hatchback for more than a year and having previously owned Mazda and VW. I got the 200hp turbo SX trim for $17,9 new. If you can find a 16 still on the lot people have been getting those around $16k with end of model year deals going on right now. More reliable than the Mazda and 10 year warranty.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:15 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,824,700 times
Car Reliability Comparisons check this site.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:24 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,788,672 times
I don't trust true Delta. He doesn't have a large enough sample size.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:34 AM

21,830 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradymartin View Post
ive looked at pricing. i want the cheapest possible. looks like the sport model with stick shift. but its only around 2k more for the upgraded engine and i get automatic transmission with that.

i want to spend the least possible. should i wait until september/october?

i think thats when good rebates are offered.

mazda doesnt rank too high when it comes to reliability so i will get extended warranty if its less than 1k.
Or look for a leftover 2016. You are a bit late on that though so availability of leftover 2016s will be much less than availability of leftover 2017s after the 2018 model comes out. Rumor mill is the 2018 will be a complete redesign, so picking up leftovers of the outgoing model is usually a good time to buy but that may not be in September/October. I picked up my 1st generation Mazda3 in December. The 2nd generation '09 Mazda3s weren't even out yet but they had a ton of inventory so they were discounting them by December, but then I also couldn't get exactly what I wanted as it was not available at any local dealer. They might have been able to find one and ship it but then the price would have been much higher. Or I could have looked around more than I did (limited my search to dealers within 100 miles). 2018 also may get HCCI though which is kind of good and bad. Great improvement in fuel economy but if you're really concerned about reliability I would skip it. Good chance that's what I'll replace my Prius with in a few years though... of course, that comes with the caveat of what I originally planned on replacing my Mazda with was a diesel Mazda3/6/CX3 so I'll remain skeptical until it actually arrives.

If you can actually pick up a Touring with the 2.5 and auto for $1k more (and want an automatic), I'd definitely do that. It's another $5,000 MSRP so that's a really good discount over the base model.

Old 03-01-2017, 10:38 PM

134 posts, read 192,432 times
I have a 2014 Mazda 6 which is basically a bigger 3. Definitely get the 2.5L over the base 2.0L engine. You'll be glad you did. Also, I wouldn't put much stock in prior reliability issues with Mazda as the newer, all-Mazda designs with the new Skyactiv engines and transmissions are fantastic. My 6 is really fun to drive but even though it has the 2.5L it's not quite enough power for me sometimes but the engine/transmission work together very well and get it moving. FYI my last daily driver was a 2001 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi (supercharged 3.8L V6) so you can understand my minor power complaint.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:55 AM

173 posts, read 218,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradymartin View Post

Not sure where you got the reliability info, but Mazda has a very solid reliability record. I own three Mazdas, with the oldest being a 2009. I've only had to do routine maintenance, with the exception of replacing a tire sensor on my 7-year-old Mazda3. That bill came to $100. I have no complaints at all when it comes to Mazda. Plus, they are one of the best handling, affordable cars on the market.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:59 AM

21,830 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT356 View Post
Not sure where you got the reliability info, but Mazda has a very solid reliability record. I own three Mazdas, with the oldest being a 2009. I've only had to do routine maintenance, with the exception of replacing a tire sensor on my 7-year-old Mazda3. That bill came to $100. I have no complaints at all when it comes to Mazda. Plus, they are one of the best handling, affordable cars on the market.
JD Powers, consumer reports, etc. disagree. Mazda3 is average at best, below average for certain years. For 2008-2016, for example, Toaster Reports does not recommend the Mazda 3 because of its poorer than average reliability.

I had a 2008. It wasn't bad. There were some minor issues with initial build quality (hatch struts replaced, all weather stripping replaced). AC Compressor froze at 18 months, 40k miles so the entire AC needed to be replaced. Mazda good-willed the parts and I paid the labor. If you look on Mazda forums, that's not an uncommon issue. Having pretty major stuff failing at 18 months/40k miles did get me worried but that was really the only problem I had in 7 1/2 years, 140k miles. The last year or so I was having some issues with the fuel pump, most likely clogged fuel filter. It was a bit tough to start and wasn't getting enough fuel right after start up (rough idle, hesitation) that was very slowly getting worse. That's really not terrible with a vehicle with 140k though. I sold it to someone who did their own wrenching as I really wasn't looking forward to dropping the tank and replacing the fuel pump myself or paying a mechanic to do it. The part really isn't expensive but it's labor intensive.

I'd buy another Mazda but yeah, they're not on par with Honda or Toyota as reliability goes. Similar to Subaru overall which both are similar to VW. The cost of fixing stuff on Subarus and Mazdas is much lower than VW but neither brands have reputations for good reliability. They're below average to average. With either brand reliability isn't the selling point. Subaru has AWD for those that need it, Mazda is in a different class for driving dynamics. The Mazda3, 6, CX3, CX5 are the benchmarks for driving dynamics in inexpensive compact/midsize sedans/crossovers. Maybe not the quietest, most comfortable but as far as how they handle they're best in class. It's about knowing what ticks your boxes. I replaced the Mazda3 with a Prius. Yeah, it's great at gas mileage, better built (very, very cheap interior but less rattles than the Mazda, overall quieter than the 1st generation Mazda3 and the Prius is NOT a quiet car), but I'm bored with it. It's tough to give up 50 mpg and the 500 mile range but you give up a lot to get that which no longer is worthwhile to me. I actually liked the Mazda which replaced an Accord which was just meh.

Last edited by Malloric; 03-02-2017 at 11:12 AM..

Old 03-02-2017, 11:20 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,414,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
...Similar to Subaru overall which both are similar to VW. The cost of fixing stuff on Subarus and Mazdas is much lower than VW but neither brands have reputations for good reliability. They're below average to average....
lol, I own a VW and a Toyota, have owned the 2 same vehicles since 2004 though I have double the miles on the VW than the Toyota. Oddly enough, I've had HALF (or less) the issues with the VW....

Am I somehow owner of the One exception to the rule? I doubt it. Am I Gods Gift of mechanics? Not even close (and I'm not doing anything other than preventative and replacing things that wear out/break). I'm not alone either, the last time I dropped in on my old VW forum and posted that I'd just hit 300k and still had no issues/problems/troubles (still on the original clutch and brake PADS!!!), there were dozens of others who posted similar.

Point is, take those "ratings" with a heaping handful of salt. Me, if I had to replace my VW, right now the only appealing option is a Mazda 3. No hesitation at all.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:48 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,762,929 times
Anything related to reliability pre-2010 shouldn't be used a metric to judge Mazda today. It's a wholly different company and product than it was in the partnership with Ford era. I had a 2010 and 2014 3, and both were fantastic with no issues. I'd buy one again in a second if I wanted to return to less expensive cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive