Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2017, 05:59 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
In other words, you're a special snowflake, think you're better than you are, and nobody else on the road matters.
This is a thread where the op asked why people speed - what a silly high horse you are riding. And on what is your assumption that I outpace anyone else based? Do you not know that there are people who speed under certain conditions, but slow down under others; primarily when encountering other traffic, when conditions are bad, or when not feeling at their best?

There are 11 pages of people talking in this thread about why they speed so I guess I can't be the special snowflake you want to think I am. I'm curious why the "i'm so offended" act when it comes to my post? Do you have a grudge, do all those other speeders not interest you; why?

When I am speeding, what makes you think I am going any faster than anyone else around me? You do realize a lot of other people (most?) on the road speed too? The fact that I am being passed often - does it mean that I am speeding or not? Logic? Ever heard of it?

And finally, no, I don't think I am any better than I think I am. Are you one of those automatons that have never broken any law? That would truly make you yourself very special.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 03-02-2017 at 06:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 06:05 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,738,942 times
I break the law because I'm more important that everyone else. Oh wait, no I don't. Speeders suck. And red light runners too.

Old 03-02-2017, 06:23 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
"For whatever reason, respect for speed limits seems to have deteriorated," Mannering said. "A 2002 survey indicated two-thirds of all drivers reported they exceeded the posted speed limit, and roughly one-third reported driving 10 mph faster than most other vehicles. These figures are even more disturbing when you consider that they're self-reported and likely to be understating the degree of speeding problems."

Read more at Study: Most Drivers Disobey Speed Limits - Redorbit

Apparently, 66% (more than half) of all drivers believe they are "special," which doesn't make them very special at all.

Old 03-02-2017, 06:53 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
Because.

Old 03-02-2017, 06:57 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
I speed because I enjoy it, for 2 reasons.

First, I enjoy the sensation of speed in the right circumstances.

Second, I also enjoy being on the wrong side of the law in some minor way. Legal driving can be a bit boring but the risk of traveling at illegal speeds adds a bit of thrill to the drive.

For it to be fun, conditions have to be right - light traffic, dry road, etc. Otherwise I don't go fast.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:49 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
life is not black and white, it's shades of grey. I follow common sense and drive the speed I feel is safe for conditions, within reason. Some people are rigid and think laws are not meant to be broken.. I am flexible and think some laws are meant to be bent if they don't harm anyone else in the process. I also feel this way with marijuana, by the way.

I'd have more respect for the laws of cops went and followed the same laws they enforce in their off time, but a large majority do not. I believe speeds limits are set with the expectation people will go 5 above, so I typically do that as a baseline and have never gotten a ticket, though I do go 10-15 above if the flow of traffic is doing so, and on rural roads where I live. My driving record is flawless and I'll continue doing what I'm doing and take my chances.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:29 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Why do you speed?

Because it's exhilarating. I go to the race track as often as possible.

Old 03-02-2017, 11:44 PM

497 posts, read 484,715 times
I generally only tend to speed on the highway, and usually less than 10mph over. If I'm on my motorcycle on back roads the sky is the limit depending on where I am. I won't give exact speeds, but lets say I'd get more than a ticket.

( I speed in my car to keep up with traffic, on the motorcycle it's for the rush)

Old 03-03-2017, 12:48 AM

787 posts, read 644,423 times
If you take the time to do research, you will find that most speed limits are antiquated, are left for revenue as stated already, and aren't considered "top" limits, if anything they are more to measure how fast you need to be going to not get a ticket for unsafe driving for going too slow.

To me, what's most important is how you drive, not the speed you drive at. I rarely speed, and when I mean speed I mean going over 70 on a 65 mph freeway. When I do, I am fully focused - both hands on the wheel, cycling through my mirrors contantly, keeping an eye on cars way behind me and well in front of me, I am reading traffic for the next half mile, my ac is on to keep me alert, and I sit up and even lean a bit forward. Driving, driving well, and at high speeds requires your full attention, any mistake, any blown tire can send you into oblivion. All it takes is once.

On the other hand, if you are one of those oxygen thiefs who sits at 85+ in your Corrola or Prius, one hand on the lower portion of the wheel, one hand on your phone or book, paying zero attention to your rear view mirror, with your right wheels sitting on the lane median, I hope you spin off and die, and I'm not sorry I said it. Just do it when I'm not behind you. Unsafe and poor drivers have no idea how much they endanger everyone around them every day. The way they scowl at you when you drive by going around them giving them the "are you serious?" look, confirms how clueless they truly are about it all.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:27 AM

5,485 posts, read 3,926,353 times

Coldjensens, you'd love driving this road here in Buffalo. After a highly publicized tragedy a couple years back in which a narcoleptic succumbed to his condition and veered off the road into an adjacent city park, killing a small child, Gov Cuomo stepped in and ordered the expressway speed limit reduced from 50 to 30, effective immediately. Amazingly, this new limit is widely obeyed (and somewhat strictly enforced). By me? Not so much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive