Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 04:46 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,590,485 times

Advertisements

Any automatic transmission with 195k miles is likely to fail soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 04:53 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,052,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I have always heard that advice and I agree in fact. My question is this, sorry if it sounds too "well DUH!"--I do have a mechanic whom I trust but many of the cars I find aren't located close to him and I don't figure they would want me driving, say, 25-30 miles to where he is, and even ones who are 10 miles away if you're talking about a private sale (and I am) they're going to worry, I figure anyway, about you taking the car and fleeing to Mexico as it were. How do you go about this logistically speaking?

Also, with something like this, would the sound advice be "given the transmission issues of that generation of Odysseys, don't buy one" or would it be "have the mechanic inspect the transmission for signs of trouble?" I know in general you can apparently gauge if a transmission is about to go out (slippage, thumping into gear etc) but with these if I understand correctly they just fail like that and if that's the case I'm not sure what a mechanic can do for anybody with THAT anyway.
For the kinds of cars you buy, the advice is even MORE prudent. Ignore it or make excuses at your own expense and peril.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:08 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,927,113 times
Based on all your previous post and luck with your past purchase? No.. stay away from Odyssey.

About 3 years ago, I was shopping for a minivan to carry my tools and as a vehicle to use for maintaining my rentals. I decided on a $3500 budget saw plenty of Odyssey. I didn't really care what the vehicle look like as I would be stripping most things except for the two front seats. I settled on a 2004 EXL with close to 160K miles for $3200. Normally, I would like something closer to 100K-120K miles but all the ones I tested, it's a transmission time bomb. I paid $3200 for this one because it was a vehicle from a private seller who works for a transmission place. It was a customer car that he got and rebuilt the trans. It came with 12 months/10K miles warranty. Van drove fine for a little over a year than trans went. All the solenoids tested OK and screens were cleaned. I decided to replace the solenoids (about $300). That fixed the transmission issue. It appeared that the guy rebuilt the internals but the solenoids went instead. I've been driving close to a year now and everything is still good.

A high mileages 5spd Honda during those years are parts car when it's high mileage when the transmission goes and it will go (especially if previous owners are not diligent on changing the trans fluid).

Bottom line.. look for something else.

Old 03-02-2017, 06:29 PM

649 posts, read 816,229 times
I have a 2015 on its third transmission, so there's that. Anyhow, I would imagine that a car of that vintage would have shown its cards by now, so to speak, and it either has problems now or has had its transmission replaced. Then again, why buy an Odyssey? Aren't there
other options? Sienna? Many town and country's have run forever.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:45 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,985,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Glutton for punishment. Bon chance.

Agreed. Thank you.

Move on. Skip the Honda minivan. Or learn the hard way. It's your money.

Old 03-03-2017, 06:27 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,424,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamanderSmile View Post
I have a 2015 on its third transmission, so there's that. Anyhow, I would imagine that a car of that vintage would have shown its cards by now, so to speak, and it either has problems now or has had its transmission replaced. Then again, why buy an Odyssey? Aren't there
other options? Sienna? Many town and country's have run forever.
I feel the same way. If OP doesn't drive like he stole it or tow it will probably work for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive