Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 09:51 AM

6,883 posts, read 7,884,541 times

Advertisements

Not surprising, but back then they didn't have choices.

Today, people vote with their wallet. Lots of people drive around in gas guzzlers they don't need just because they can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 10:05 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,861,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Correct, the comparison may not be entirely fair but mileage is mileage.
I must disagree with you because the metric is flawed.

A much better metric would be MPG per kilogram of dry weight of the vehicle. Even MPG per kilogram of curb weight.

Regulatory requirements have made vehicles much heavier in the modern era, so the author's premise that technology just hasn't improved things is flawed. If you were in a car crash, would you rather be in a 1923 Ford Model T or a modern Toyota Camry? Regulatory requirements for improved safety, for example, have saved lives but are heavy.

A 1923 Ford Model T, the dominant vehicle of the era, had a curb weight of just 1200 pounds!

A 2017 Toyota Camry, the dominant passenger vehicle of the modern era, has a curb weight of over 3200 pounds.

A 2017 Ford F150, the highest selling vehicle in America today, has a curb weight ranging from 4479 pounds to over 5000 pounds, depending on configuration.

It takes a lot more energy to move a 3200 pound passenger vehicle than a 1200 pound vehicle.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:06 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,861,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
ehhhhh.... to paraphrase the guy from "Who killed the electric car"..... If car companies could profit off selling you a car that ran on pig **** they would be in the market.
Electric powered cars are more accurately called coal-powered cars.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:25 AM

2,094 posts, read 1,925,279 times
Quote:
Yup, after everything we've been through, we are getting a measly 4mpg more than in 1923.

Average fuel economy has improved only slightly in last century - CSMonitor.com
I think its a scam. Big oil buys up patents and kills them to keep the reliance on oil going. Look at the advancements in everything else out there- TVS, computers, phones- yet we can't make a better engine?

Old 03-07-2017, 10:52 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,713,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Not surprising, but back then they didn't have choices.

Today, people vote with their wallet. Lots of people drive around in gas guzzlers they don't need just because they can.
I wouldn't say just because we "can", more like because we make a conscious choice to not drive a small car, etc. I choose not to drive a tiny econobox because I want comfort, space, height, etc. Sure, I could spend half the money and get a Smart...but if I'm going to do that, I may as well buy a go-kart. I prefer the ride height, comfort and options in my Jeep. We also have a Camry. Nice car, good on gas...but nowhere near as comfortable for "me" as my Jeep is. Wife loves it though, so that's all that matters. I could have bought a full size pickup, but I didn't need it at the time. Next time around, I might just buy one.

That said - engines are far more efficient than the days of old. Remember the massive V12 engines that the lux cars used...the V6's and V8's of today make better power at half the displacement. Same with todays 4 bangers.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:00 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,621,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
I think its a scam. Big oil buys up patents and kills them to keep the reliance on oil going. Look at the advancements in everything else out there- TVS, computers, phones- yet we can't make a better engine?
Tin foil hat aside, you know that ALL patents are registered with the US Patent Office, and that these patents are available for EVERYONE to read? There are no secret patents. Not to mention that most of the conspiracy theory "bought up" patents are of such an age that the description and technology would be public domain by now.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:08 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,102,617 times
Quote:
Yup, after everything we've been through, we are getting a measly 4mpg more than in 1923.

Average fuel economy has improved only slightly in last century - CSMonitor.com
This is because the automotive industry did not (and still does not, IMHO) seriously prioritize improving mileage, due to the relative "cheapness" of gasoline.

It is inconceivable that, with all of the technological advances in mechanics and electronics, the automotive industry could not improve fuel efficiency by more than 4 mpg in 90+ years of research and development, if the political will existed.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:58 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,827,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Interesting, but I remember when I had a 300+ HP car, my first, a 1958 Chrysler that was lucky to get 10/12 mpg, now my 2013 Challenger with 305 HP gets 19/28. The 1923 cars averaging 14 mpg were typically a 4 cylinder, such as the 2.9L Model T, getting maybe 20 horsepower. The modern car, such as my wife's 2014 Escape that gets 22/30 has a smaller 1.6L with turbo and puts out 178 HP. I really doubt that anyone could keep up with freeway traffic today driving a vehicle with only 20 HP. Add to that all of the modern safety features, from electronics to crumple zones and airbags, large disc brake rotors, plus conveniences like power windows, doors and seats, AC and the rest and that 4 mpg increase seems a lot better than it looks at first glance.
not to mention the increase in weight over the years.

OP consider this, in 1979 the lincoln towncar weighed in at about 5000lbs, got 10mpg on a good day, rode very nicely, was very quiet inside, and was a very comfortable car to drive and ride in. fast forward to 2005, and the mercury grand marquis is all those things the towncar was, and it gets 17.5mpg, is also quicker and faster, and handles MUCH better, and weighs at around 4000lbs.

in every way the 2005 grand marquis is a superior car to the 1979 towncar. now compare my 05 merc to ANY of the cars from 1923, and in every way my merc comes out on top.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:58 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
Quote:
yet we can't make a better engine?
We do, if you took an engine out of model T and put a modern lawnmower tractor engine with the same HP you'll get the same performance and ridiculously higher MPG.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:04 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
Quote:
I think its a scam. Big oil buys up patents and kills them to keep the reliance on oil going.
Patents are searchable and time barred, it expires in 20 years so you have a very limited amount of time to capitalize on it. Not patenting technology is not a realistic option either because it exposes you to the risk of someone else making the discovery and patenting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive