Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 06:37 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,040,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
What do you think is the worst driving habit you commonly see?

For me it is tailgating. I see tailgating as a personal threat. It is like the other driver is pointing a gun at me. If anything makes me incredibly mad, that is it. If I ever lose it in road rage and get out and rip someone’s mirror off and hand it to them (my brother did this once), it will be a tailgater. That is the most annoying and probably one of the most dangerous. It is also the thing I see most often.

Texting is more dangerous but that is not driving, so I do not consider it a driving habit. They are failing to drive just like someone reading, putting on makeup or folding their laundry. Plus I really do not see it that much anymore. Nowhere near as much as tailgating. People seem to have woken up to the dangers of texting.

Drunk driving is also extremely dangerous, however I see noticeably drunk people only rarely now. Part of that is because I do not drive late at night that much anymore. Usually I assume the swerving, going slow, failing to signal or stop person is texting. If I see they are not texting then I assume they are either drunk or having a stroke. But it is not that common.

Changing without signaling is also very common. In fact, it may be more common than not. However while it is dangerous/rude/annoying, I do not find it as big a problem as tailgating.

Then there are people who just do not understand what signals mean. This weekend, a lady turned left on a yellow arrow right in front of oncoming traffic. Then she started yelling at the poor older lady who hit her. She thought a yellow arrow meant “hurry up, the light is about to turn red”

What driving habit do you think is most prevalent/dangerous or most aggravating?
My

#1. Failure to Indicate: Turns, Lane-changes, Merges, Pulling to side of road etc.

#2. Following too Closely: Reduced reaction time, creates chain reaction and 'ghost' bottle-necks as far as half mile behind brake checker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 09:54 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Here in Spokane, someone is in a big hurry, they tailgate be will not pass.....even when there is open lanes all over the place. Weird, I have noticed this mainly in Spokane.

Old 07-04-2018, 10:10 AM

1,066 posts, read 765,859 times
1. Drivers that follow too closely, tail-gating. Drivers that tailgate when driving in the right lane and the left lane is completely open for passing.
2. Drivers who are obviously texting (can see them doing it) and oblivious to the world around them
3. Aggressive road raging-types.
4. Colorado-ish specific... I have seen this too many times now... trying to light a pipe (or bong even!) while driving or stopped at a light.

My FJ is fairly tall and I can look into others' cars pretty easily... watched a guy drop the ember from his pipe at a stop light, was flinging himself around in his seat trying to avoid burning his crotch. It was pretty funny.

Old 07-04-2018, 10:12 AM

5,672 posts, read 5,877,474 times
1. Texting
2. Transplants!

Old 07-04-2018, 10:18 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,572,971 times
Worst habit? New York

Old 07-04-2018, 03:16 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,638,338 times
My pet peeve is people who drive with their left foot resting on the brake. First of all it’s unnecessary wear on the brakes, it could also be making them very hot compromising their performance and finally, I can’t tell whether they might be stopping because their brake lights are on all the time. I get out from behind these people as quickly as I can.

Old 07-04-2018, 03:28 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Texting. Used to be tailgating. I hated the guys who sped up on you got right on your bumper swung past and then cut off back in your lane. I usually started braking as they swung past me because most of these turd bags are from the “want to teach you a lesson “ school and try and brake check you.

Old 07-04-2018, 03:35 PM

8,052 posts, read 12,772,027 times
No lights in the rain is an issue. I don't know what these drivers are thinking but on a recent road trip with a lot of rain I estimate 5 to 10% didn't think they needed their lights on. I could barely see the lights of a car 10 yards ahead of me in the worst of the rain.

Old 07-04-2018, 03:39 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,572,971 times
Cutting people off

Old 07-04-2018, 04:17 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,040,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
No lights in the rain is an issue. I don't know what these drivers are thinking but on a recent road trip with a lot of rain I estimate 5 to 10% didn't think they needed their lights on. I could barely see the lights of a car 10 yards ahead of me in the worst of the rain.

Running(amber) lights only - no headlights - after dark. WT ?! I see it often in 'certain sections' of town.

Fifteen years ago a vehicle with running lights only, and myself, were alongside each other heading in opposite directions in heavy traffic on a local street. Basically drivers door to drivers door. I lowered my window, motioned to the driver. He lowered his window and I told him "Your headlights are out".

His reply: "I got them off for a reason, mutha-akcuf!"

I drove on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive