Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 07:08 PM

1,020 posts, read 808,549 times

Advertisements

Wow, so many to choose from. Tailgating, though it hasn't happened to me for a long time. Using the left lane as a driving lane on a 2 lane (each way) interstate, that's the one that affects me the most, as I have a regular drive that is only 2 lanes in each direction between 2 large cities & it has become increasingly dangerous due to left lane hoggers & lack of knowledge.

The other 2 that really bug me are left turn people who often go 3-4 cars after the light's turned red. I don't understand the poster who said that's no big deal. There's a big problem with that...traffic from the other direction has already started.

The last one I only seem to see around here, city/suburban driving, crossing over 3-4 lanes from a dead stop. For example you're in a left hand turn lane & the suddenly you decide you need to make a R turn instead & cross over 3-4 lanes to do it. We see this all the time here. Bugs my husband more than me, so I included it here.

Oh & people in the middle of the intersection waiting to turn L, who get stuck there & block traffic after the light has changed! Either be sure you can do it or don't get into the middle of the intersection!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 07:11 PM

12,968 posts, read 9,650,170 times
When two cars are driving side by side and nobody can pass. Traffic is backing up behind them and they seem oblivious or just don't care, or doing it to be spiteful.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:12 PM

23,527 posts, read 24,006,421 times
Distracted driving and reckless driving.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:15 PM

12,968 posts, read 9,650,170 times
People watching you through their rear view mirror, especially when they know they are doing something to annoy the heck out of you.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:31 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,681,102 times
Tailgating is rampant. It's dumb for more reasons than just being in a position to rear end someone. It eats visibility. Ever see those idiots on 2 lane roads who follow a truck 3 feet off the bumper and dart into incoming traffic constantly to see if it's safe to pass? Back off a few car lengths and guess what? YOU CAN SEE!!! Geniuses.

The second worst is Chicago turns or Midwest turns. This is making a turn at an intersection and turning into a lane other than the inside lane (or the marked lane in the case of multiple turn lanes). This is also rampant almost anywhere in the Midwest, but out around me in Arizona it's not common. It's so uncommon that opposing traffic making a left and right onto the same street with multiple lanes, will assume the other car is turning into the inside lane and continue their turn. In the Midwest this is a recipe for a good sideswipe collision or worse.

#3 is people making a 12 lane left turn in the middle of heavy traffic when they could have just gone to the other end of a parking lot and used a stop light.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:36 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
Some of you self appointed traffic law enforcers are more dangerous than the law breakers that you are targeting. You put youself and others in danger intentionally. I've been driving long enough to recognize you antics and use appropriate avoidance tactics.
I don't try to enforce anything. Drive in the right lane unless passing, drive in the middle lane if there is one to allow the speed addicts by and not to inconvenience those trying to enter the highway, drive the speed limit or slightly (5 mph) above (which oddly enough it turns out IS the flow of traffic most everywhere I drive, I've noticed after being involved in these discussions and paying very close attention for a few years now).

That does not mean that I don't recognize idiocy and an overweening sense of entitlement and the hypocrisy of condemning one group of people for disobeying a traffic law because it keeps you from disobeying another one. One would have to be blind - or the kind of person who does that - not to be able to recognize that.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:28 PM

56 posts, read 63,881 times
1) Tailgating - It's dumb on a number of levels, but one BIG reason is that if something happens in the road in front of you, then you are left with fewer options for escape.

2) Get OFF your damn cell phone - No one knows the exact stats, but some reports claim that accidents due to distracted driving are approaching the same number as those caused by drunks on the road. I remember the tragic story of a 16-year-old girl out in Lakewood, WA. She was on the phone and pulled out from a parking lot into traffic, yakking away. The truck driver said later that she actually made eye contact with him, but didn't realize the danger. He slammed right into the drivers' side door and she was killed instantly. He was found NOT at fault.

3) Running red lights - When cities install red light cameras, the accident rates go down.

4) Aggressive driving - These are the people on the freeway who cut in and out of lanes like crazy, trying to gain some small advantage. They run up behind people, they generally speed as well. They have anger issues on the road. Here in Washington State, they are the cause of many accidents, mostly on the freeway. We have an Aggressive Driving law here, where the cop stamps the ticket in big red letters, AGGRESSIVE. This is to tell the judge you're just a butthead on the road.

5) Taking a free right turn just because the car approaching on your left has his turn signal on. Some people just forget it's on. Then....BAM, into your drivers' side door they go. See you in the hospital, if you're lucky.

I practice safe and defensive driving. Got my first license in 1971. Three minor accidents since that time, none of which were my fault. Never caused an accident on my own, and I'll bet you would gasp in shock if you could see my yearly insurance bill. It's probably lower than yours....

Old 03-06-2017, 08:31 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Around here people are bad about turning on their left signal, hitting the brakes, and taking FOREVER to move over into the turn lane (even if it's a loooong turn lane). Seriously people, just move the heck over... that's what the turning lane is for!

Old 03-06-2017, 09:19 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,388,956 times
people doing twenty mile under the speed limit without a single car in front of them but 17 car on his azz and cant quite understand that he the problem

Old 03-06-2017, 10:43 PM

876 posts, read 813,002 times
The number one offence is without a doubt distracted driving of any sort, playing with the radio, eating, phones, I've actually watched people putting a book on their steering wheel and read while driving.

#2 worst driving practice is not leaving enough distance between cars. People get territorial with their space, not wanting to let someone else in. There should be one car length for every ten mile per hour increment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive