Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 07:56 AM

572 posts, read 435,490 times

Advertisements

Not anything dramatic, like a baseball bat or spiderweb crack. A single line crack that's barely noticeable.

Has anyone had a crack like this?

Anyone been bothered for a MINOR crack like this?

Major, I understand. It's unsafe. How about the minor, that's still technically cracked..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 08:00 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
If you get stopped, and I have been for a cracked windshield, you'll likely be issued a repair order to get it fixed within a certain amount of time. That will vary by state of course.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:02 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,178,366 times
Sounds like it's too late, but for a small, localised chip I used a windshield repair kit and it took care of it.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:03 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,131,808 times
Eventually it'll get worse so I'd just plan to get it fixed at the next convenient time. You can spend that time shopping around for the best price on a replacement.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:07 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times
Do you have glass coverage? What is your deductible?

If you don't have it get it.

My deductible on glass is zero. Only costs about $12.00 more per year.

Make sure you don't have any outstanding issues as when they pull you over they do a complete check on everything.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:10 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
It will grow as the car goes through hot/cold cycles with the weather and sun, not to mention hitting potholes causing minor flax through the vehicle that will cause the crack to grow.

Do it now when you can casually take care of it, vs procrastinate and do it when you have no choice or get pulled over for it

Old 03-10-2017, 08:19 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
I or family members have driven cars with small (and large) cracks for years. Some cracks eventually grow, some never do. Some may suddenly become a series of cracks when you hit a bump. If it is not impairing your vision at all it is not much of a problem although it could impact the structural integrity of the windshield causing it to fail in an accident where it would to otherwise have failed. I have no idea how likely that is. For some cars a replacement windshield is $300- $400. In that case is seems silly not to just replace is when you can. Some cars, it can cost $1500 or more. Personally I would just live with the crack until it grows in those situations. You will have to make your own risk/cost analysis.

If you do get it replaced, be very careful about the glass you get. Normally I just shop for OEM glass. If they say "Well we have glass that is better than OEM" that usually means it is better because it is cheaper (for them) and you do not want it. There are some non-OEM glass mfgs who make good quality, but I am not sure how you would find them, so I just ask for OEM all the time.

Of course some places will say "OEM? Sure thing." and then install the cheapo Chinese glass and charge you OEM prices.

Old 03-10-2017, 09:31 AM

Good points all around so far. Thank you.

Old 03-10-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I or family members have driven cars with small (and large) cracks for years. Some cracks eventually grow, some never do. Some may suddenly become a series of cracks when you hit a bump. If it is not impairing your vision at all it is not much of a problem although it could impact the structural integrity of the windshield causing it to fail in an accident where it would to otherwise have failed. I have no idea how likely that is. For some cars a replacement windshield is $300- $400. In that case is seems silly not to just replace is when you can. Some cars, it can cost $1500 or more. Personally I would just live with the crack until it grows in those situations. You will have to make your own risk/cost analysis.

If you do get it replaced, be very careful about the glass you get. Normally I just shop for OEM glass. If they say "Well we have glass that is better than OEM" that usually means it is better because it is cheaper (for them) and you do not want it. There are some non-OEM glass mfgs who make good quality, but I am not sure how you would find them, so I just ask for OEM all the time.

Of course some places will say "OEM? Sure thing." and then install the cheapo Chinese glass and charge you OEM prices.
I was going to say... There is a place around here, to get $200 per windshield, and that's installed. It's probably NOT OEM glass, and it's gonna be unfortunate because my windshield has the brand of the car on it lol (yes factory...) but it is cracked...

As weird as this sounds, you can only see the crack from the inside of car. !!!

Old 03-10-2017, 09:46 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie4 View Post
I was going to say... There is a place around here, to get $200 per windshield, and that's installed. It's probably NOT OEM glass, and it's gonna be unfortunate because my windshield has the brand of the car on it lol (yes factory...) but it is cracked...

As weird as this sounds, you can only see the crack from the inside of car. !!!
That cheap glass can be very dangerous. There are some good articles on the internet - check the source though. There are also article promulgated by the makers of that cheap dangerous glass that say it is just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive