Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 06:18 AM

139 posts, read 409,160 times

Advertisements

has anyone used COSTCO to buy a car? I am interested in buying a pre - owned and considering COSTCO would like to know how it worked out for you thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 07:27 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,040,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit Karson View Post
has anyone used COSTCO to buy a car? I am interested in buying a pre - owned and considering COSTCO would like to know how it worked out for you thanks
The dealer will just give you a no haggle baseline take it or leave it price that you could probably have negotiated lower yourself, but you would have lost days of your life fighting for. As opposed to having to spend one more second of my life with a car salesman, it's probably worth it.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:36 AM

1,037 posts, read 3,163,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
The dealer will just give you a no haggle baseline take it or leave it price that you could probably have negotiated lower yourself, but you would have lost days of your life fighting for. As opposed to having to spend one more second of my life with a car salesman, it's probably worth it.
Yup, I looked into it as well. You are not buying through Costco, you are still buying from dealerships who have an agreement with Costco to sell at a lower price. If you are a good negotiator, you can probably do better than the Costco price. If you are not, then it is a good enough price given the no hassle aspect.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:40 AM

2,778 posts, read 5,167,323 times
I think it is all dependent on sales person...
While there is an agreed price discount for new vehicle with Costco plan (which I used), it would be almost impossible to set one up for a used vehicle (so much dependent on condition, mileage).
Plus you'd limit yourself on used vehicle market, since very few dealerships have a relationship with Costco.

Best is to find a similar vehicle priced lower than the one you really want and get the dealer give you a better price on the one you want. Be prepared to walk!

Old 01-11-2013, 09:32 AM

139 posts, read 409,160 times
Thanks for the info .......... so about home much of a discount do COSTCO customers get. Ball park figure if possible.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:52 AM

780 posts, read 2,926,345 times
I wasn't aware that Costco car buying program included pre-owned.

I tried using Costco and the car dealership tacked a $5k mark-up.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:44 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,554,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit Karson View Post
Thanks for the info .......... so about home much of a discount do COSTCO customers get. Ball park figure if possible.
I've used Costco and it's the easiest time Ive ever had buying a car.
They set me up with the fleet manger at the Chevrolet dealership
I was Driving my Tahoe down the street within the hour
They also got me $4500 off to boot.
I will only use costco for now on!

Old 01-11-2013, 01:52 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,702,592 times
The programs run through the warehouse clubs only apply to new cars as far as I know. As someone else said, there is too much variability in used car pricing to create any kind of discount. The pricing varies by warehouse club and dealer, but it is usually dealer invoice plus a certain dollar amount. From there you would still get any appropriate discounts and rebates from the manufacturer. Overall, the price ends up landing right between invoice and retail.

It's not a "bad" deal by any stretch, but you could easily negotiate the same or better on your own if you have the patience and time to do so. If you want a relatively "no hassle" approach then feel free to use it. If it was me, I would see what the deal is through the warehouse club and then go shopping on my own and see what I could do. From there, take the better of the two offers.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:08 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,057,497 times
They sell CPO according to their website.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:14 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,702,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
They sell CPO according to their website.
Apparently they do, lol. I would guess it works the same way as it does with their new vehicle pricing, some dollar amount over the dealers invoice/bottom line price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive