Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2017, 08:16 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,103,759 times

Advertisements

It's hard to admit this, but as a whole, American drivers suck. The American driver is only concerned with himself and that's it. Nothing else matters. It's like there is a bubble around them. Unaware and unconcerned about anything outside of that bubble.

I spent 2 weeks driving over 2000 miles in Spain this past summer. It was such a delight. First of all, cruise control is rarely even offered on cars in Europe. People drive a speed necessary for the situation. They never drive in the left lane unless passing. They speed up to pass so that if someone behind is going faster, they won't be held up. Also, they are aware of their surroundings. If they come up on a car they need to pass, they check their mirror first. If someone is coming up on them, they slow and wait for them to pass before they pull out and pass. Then they speed up, pass quickly and get back over.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:18 AM

50,064 posts, read 46,618,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
I'm a high mileage driver, usually around twenty thousand a year or more, and in that compilation of miles I see the distracted drivers as a growing danger, but, I also see the over the top speeders as a threat to others also. It's really about the attitude of both speeders and the perennially distracted folks.

Law enforcement compiles data at the scene of the accident itself and rarely has any clue to what led up to that accident. Potential witnesses are going by at hwy speed and are gone in a flash. But the phrase "speed was a factor" is pretty common. Those who are driving safely know their speed and attentiveness are huge factors to road survival, they are "thinking safety" and in that mode they constitute the safest drivers out there. Many of the speeders are also the same ones who fiddle with their phones, music, and other distractions.

I guess what I'm saying is that "unsafe driving" covers a multitude of factors, and most of us know what those are and try to avoid them. The road warriors who want to utilize the left lanes as their own speeders haven are welcome to it, but, speeding isn't more acceptable because it happens in the left lane, and, the fact of distraction being a component of the hwy danger in no way excuses those who are paying full attention at eighty and above unless they are in parts of Wyoming or Nevada.
You're trying to convince everyone you know more then LE?

Old 03-15-2017, 08:39 AM

7,991 posts, read 10,335,743 times
Quote:
I think you're attempting to raise the issue of distracted driving to the level where it should be a higher consideration for enforcement over all other types of unsafe driving. I see this all the time, where people want to have their own version of what should be legal as opposed to what is actually illegal. Let's just say that in my view the speeders are just as dangerous when they drive at excessive levels of speed when considering the amount of traffic around them. What I think isn't the issue here anyway, you will most likely drive in the manner you're accustomed to regardless of how I see things.
But you are completely ignoring statistics. No one is saying speeders should be given a free pass. But people who text and drive are SIX TIMES more likely to cause an accident than a drunk driver, let alone a speeder. So you bet your britches I want "to raise the issue of distracted driving to the level where it should be a higher consideration."

Old 03-15-2017, 08:46 AM

7,991 posts, read 10,335,743 times
Quote:
the worst totals were always off of the freeway not the rural roads. Speed, and other factors lead to these so called accidents.
Speed contributed to the amount of damage, but the actual CAUSE of the accident was much more likely to be someone looking at their phone who didn't see cars slow down in front of them, or they drifted into another lane while texting their friend. The person who actually CAUSED the accident was most likely not speeding. But when you rear end someone going 65, even when that's the speed limit, it's going to cause more damage than when you rear end someone going 35.

I know these pesky facts are annoying, but they are indeed true. Unless, of course, you have seen and know more about accidents than law enforcement and the NHTSA.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:56 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,768,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
What happens if a large animal suddenly runs into the path of your car while you are taking 15 minutes to pass the cars in the right lane? Slamming on your brakes at that speed, probably won't avoid it. You can't swerve to the right, because that lane is occupied. You might be able to go left onto the median, but that could end really bad.

I'm sorry but that is a terrible way of driving. If you are passing slower traffic then speed up and pass them, or just move over, slow down and follow them. The herd mentality is not an intelligent way of driving.
What does that have to do with anything? An animal could be in the right lane. An animal in traffic is problematic regardless of what lane I'm in.

If it takes me 15 minutes to pass cars that's what it takes. This is quite common on I 24 in and out of Chattanooga. Truckers all in the right lane doing 60 pulling grades while I'm doing 75 in the left lane. I don't have to do 60 just because the person behind me wants to do 80. I'll move into the right lane when I can, and maintain speed.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:25 AM

28,944 posts, read 14,281,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
What does that have to do with anything? An animal could be in the right lane. An animal in traffic is problematic regardless of what lane I'm in.

If it takes me 15 minutes to pass cars that's what it takes. This is quite common on I 24 in and out of Chattanooga. Truckers all in the right lane doing 60 pulling grades while I'm doing 75 in the left lane. I don't have to do 60 just because the person behind me wants to do 80. I'll move into the right lane when I can, and maintain speed.

And that is what you are supposed to do. What many of us are complaining about is the person that isn't passing anyone, just sitting there blocking the lane. And refused to move over.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:30 AM

64 posts, read 49,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Yeah, but the difference is that we left-lane-hogs haven't posted a rage-thread about it.

Personally I don't care if people speed. None of my business nor my concern unless they're being completely reckless (which is not the case for 99% of people who speed).

But neither is it any of my concern if they feel entitled to go 90mph and feel that I should get out of their way. I will if I have the opportunity and if I feel like it. But I'll also drive in the left lane if I feel like it.

And there's nothing that these snowflakes can do about it

People like you are what's the problem with this world!

Be more considerate to other people, it's just considered being a good human being, not much anything else. If you can NOT drive as fast as those behind you, MOVE OVER!

But looks like, you really don't give a CRAP about being a good human being! You don't know how to share the road with other drivers, that people LIKE you drive and do whatever you feel like instead of being considerate to other people*SIGH* the road is NOT yours only!

Screw all your slow drivers with this "I drive how ever I feel like" attitude. Your selfishness, lack consideration isn't appreciated!

Last edited by Sub-Dinyu; 03-15-2017 at 10:39 AM..

Old 03-15-2017, 10:33 AM

28,944 posts, read 14,281,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-Dinyu View Post

People like you are what's the problem with this world!

Be more considerate to other people, it's just considered being a good human being, not much anything else. If you can NOT drive as fast as those behind you, MOVE OVER!

But looks like, you really don't give a CRAP about being a good human being! *SIGH*

That is fine, here in MI it's the law. It will be great seeing them getting pulled over and ticketed.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:37 AM

64 posts, read 49,391 times
Quote:
I can see why driving has become a terrible experience, it's just another video game for so many here in America. Speeding--The number one reason for so many wrecks, and speeding while texting is a close second. I always try to drive in the "cooperative" mode, so it goes without saying that we all need to share the highways, unfortunately, something that is lost on most of the population. I see the pileups continuing in spite of the fact that most of those causing them are usually in a big damn hurry to get somewhere--- and then they crash, and spend the day in a hospital or worse.

On highway gamers: When reading the posts in this thread I see the comments from those who I seem to have the most trouble with. The poster who uses his trailer as a weapon of intimidation, the other who feels his Roman chariot "stinger" to be something he takes pride in, and more who feel that driving is a game, and they play to win. These social misfits are the bane of America, and not necessarily because of their driving insanity---but moreover, their sense of themselves as a kind of tough guy--inside their steel cages, but once outside they are usually the diminutive weenies we'd expect this kind of behavior from.

The thought of traffic being subjected to a type of automation is somewhat unnerving, but on closer scrutiny I'd have to say that maybe the time has come for something other than the human brain to be in control on our ever more dangerous highways. Humans have been morphing into something of an ugly selfish caricature of their old selves, the spread of entitled notions among self serving idiots seems to be a signal which we can't ignore, and no place demonstrates this as much as our highways do. Patience, civility, cooperation, caring and kindness, all a thing of the past, it's all about Meeee!!!

I agree with you about games, it NEEDS to STOP! BUT NO, speeding is not the #1 reasons for wrecks.

Failure of slow drivers to move over, Road rage, and impeding flow of traffic has to be the biggest reason! Speeders can NOT cause accidents, if they can drive thru at the speed without being suddenly blocked by a slow ass driver

Last edited by Sub-Dinyu; 03-15-2017 at 10:49 AM..

Old 03-15-2017, 10:38 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,103,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
That is fine, here in MI it's the law. It will be great seeing them getting pulled over and ticketed.
It's actually the law in most states. But rarely enforced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.