Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2017, 01:16 PM

14,249 posts, read 17,851,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
What I've noticed is that black sedan livery people love to sit in the left lane and cruise, because it gives their client a nice smooth ride, while everyone else can just die. Seems the other big culprit are people that probably were driving faster, but then got distracted by their cell phone.

I can't explain what a pleasure it was to drive in Germany. People drive the speed they want, and the left lane stays open except in gridlock, for people to pass. On smaller windy roads in the mountains, there's quick turnout areas where slower traffic will actually pull over to allow faster traffic to pass when there's a line of cars behind it. Truly an amazing driving culture.
It isn't just Germany. The driving culture in Europe is different. First, overtaking on the right is a huge no-no and very illegal. Second, drivers tend not to camp-out in the left lane. Third, drivers coming up behind someone who is passing in the left will generally wait patiently for them to pass and pull over. Fourth, it is quite acceptable to flash lights at someone who hasn't pulled over and nobody gets upset or bloody-minded about it.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:19 PM

3,486 posts, read 728,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
I was driving to work this morning, going maybe 80MPH, which is about the flow of traffic on 635 fairly early. There was a lady in a Honda just sitting in the left-hand lane, going 65, backing up everyone while they searched for a way to get around her amidst all of the trucks going 65.5MPH. It was very frustrating, so as soon as the opportunity presented itself, I moved to the middle lane and floored it to go around her. However, this thread reminded me of the importance of being right no matter what, so instead of just passing her, I rammed her car until I forced her off the road. Then I set fire to her car and drove off. I feel like I've done my civic duty for today.
Sub-Dinyu thanks you ..

Old 03-20-2017, 03:18 PM

491 posts, read 469,011 times
That seems like a very unusual situation that she decided to speed up with you.

That being said, I know there are rules like trucks having to use the right lanes in a multiple lane highway and slower traffic keeping to the right, but I'm pretty sure the law does not require you to move to the right lane, unless you are driving slower than the speed limit. The speed limit is the speed limit. Officially speaking.

The only thing is that sometimes slower traffic does need to go on the left lane, for instance, if you are on a highway and you're turning left on an intersection, or if you are on a freeway and an exit is on the left lane. If someone has to make a left turn 3 lights down, they might as well be on the left lane, as long as they are driving the speed limit. However, slower traffic should keep to the right in most cases where it's a straight path.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:11 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,742,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-Dinyu View Post
As long as you move over whenever you see faster cars behind you, there is no issue. Just do it in a timely fashion, otherwise, the driver may move right, and you at the same time is also moving right.

The problem is with these inconsiderate jerks that would NOT move over (and nobody else are in their way on the right at the time)!

Also, where is it that they ticket for only 1MPH over SL? Is it where traffic isn't at all high?
Why so entitled?

Old 03-20-2017, 06:34 PM

723 posts, read 997,227 times
Default Be Careful in Montana at Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Actually Montana lowered the speed limit to 80 miles an hour. Previously it had been you could drive at any speed that was safe to do so. You were really only driving at an unsafe speed if you had a wreck or endangering other drivers.
I have driven in Montana from Yellowstone north to Missoula last early November and the amount of animal activity on the highway was insane. Just to survive we had to draft behind a truck so the truck, which was all armored in the front like something out of Mad Max, could smash all the animals running out onto the highway out of the way. The carnage was incredible and if my daughter had not been with me to verify the body count, nobody would believe me!

Old 03-20-2017, 06:47 PM

64 posts, read 49,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Why so entitled?

WOW!

WHO is REALLY entitled? Isn't it complete HYPOCRISY, for you to say this, when you ARE the one slow, and insist to stay in the left lane, no matter there are FASTER drivers behind you?

I WOULD have moved over for the faster driver, so how am I entitled? <- (I can't underline this statement enough times...)

Really, logically, I DON'T understand what am I entitled about?!? I think as long as I move over to faster drivers, then I am NOT entitled. Cuz, I obviously DON'T feel I have any right to be on the left lane, if I see faster drivers than me.

As I said, maybe people like you misunderstand me. OR maybe you intentionally act like you don't understand (to play a stupid game here) or utterly just DON'T get it. I really don't know which is which at this point, seems like we might just see things completely different. It's just like Democrats and Republicans (Fast drivers and Slow drivers) can NEVER agree with each other, at all. And that's sad.

You feel you have a RIGHT to be on the left lane (DESPITE there are much faster drivers ALL lined up behind you honking horns at you or tailgating very closely to you *hinting* at you to move over), but you refuse to move.

So ISN'T it actually YOU who are entitled?

Logic 101!??

Last edited by Sub-Dinyu; 03-20-2017 at 07:11 PM..

Old 03-20-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Have we resolved what is obviously the most pressing issue of our time yet?
You may not think this is a very pressing issue here, but actually it is kinda important. In reality this issue is one of HUMANITIES' biggest issues - Compromise, co-operation, and consideration for others. THIS is not a small matter in any way, I find these values very important.

Sadly, over the years I've realized that way TOO many people just don't want to co-operate, compromise with each other, be considerate to others, at all. They are so entitled themselves, and they have the nerve to call others entitled. *SIGH*

Really sad.

In order for humanity to peacefully co-exist with each other, compromise/co-operation/consideration is VERY fundamental/IMPORTANT value to have!

Last edited by Sub-Dinyu; 03-20-2017 at 07:30 PM..

Old 03-20-2017, 07:20 PM

Quote:

WOW!

WHO is REALLY entitled? Isn't it complete HYPOCRISY, for you to say this, when you ARE the one slow, and insist to stay in the left lane, no matter there are FASTER drivers behind you?

I WOULD have moved over for the faster driver, so how am I entitled? <- (I can't underline this statement enough times...)

Really, logically, I DON'T understand what am I entitled about?!? I think as long as I move over to faster drivers, then I am NOT entitled. Cuz, I obviously DON'T feel I have any right to be on the left lane, if I see faster drivers than me.

As I said, maybe people like you misunderstand me. OR maybe you intentionally act like you don't understand (to play a stupid game here) or utterly just DON'T get it. I really don't know which is which at this point, seems like we might just see things completely different. It's just like Democrats and Republicans (Fast drivers and Slow drivers) can NEVER agree with each other, at all. And that's sad.

You feel you have a RIGHT to be on the left lane (DESPITE there are much faster drivers ALL lined up behind you honking horns at you or tailgating very closely to you *hinting* at you to move over), but you refuse to move.

So ISN'T it actually YOU who are entitled?

Logic 101!??
I drive about 5mph over the speed limit. Might take me a little while to pass a line of cars... but I'll get around. Eventually.

Why should I care if you want to go 10mph above the speed limit? You want me to obey the law because you feel *entitled* break the law??

Go ahead- tailgate me. Flash your lights. See how that works out for ya'

Old 03-20-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
I drive about 5mph over the speed limit. Might take me a little while to pass a line of cars... but I'll get around. Eventually.

Why should I care if you want to go 10mph above the speed limit? You want me to obey the law because you feel *entitled* break the law??

Go ahead- tailgate me. Flash your lights. See how that works out for ya'
1st. I really do NOT care that you drive over 5MPH over already. Neither do other drivers. YOU think that's fast enough? Many of us posters in this thread has already said that's STILL not fast enough. 5MPH over is NOTHING! The general flow of traffic usually goes much faster than that at ANY time. MOST DRIVERS go over 5MPH!

Look, it just DOESN'T matter you are going over 5MPH, but if you are HOLDING up traffic behind you, then you ARE in the wrong!

So you WANT TO CONTROL others?

WHY do you even care that others want to drive over 10MPH or whatever, if they don't care themselves? Control freak nature!?

ARE YOU A COP? Is it your job to care about what speed others are driving?

Nobody is saying you must immediately move over even in dangerous situations. All we are saying is "You MOVE OVER whenever the right lane is cleared up" God, we have already been though this.

Last edited by Sub-Dinyu; 03-20-2017 at 08:21 PM..

Old 03-20-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
So you WANT TO CONTROL others?

WHY do you even care that others want to drive over 10MPH or whatever, if they don't care themselves? Control freak nature!?

ARE YOU A COP? Is it your job to care about what speed others are driving?

Nobody is saying you must immediately move over even in dangerous situations. All we are saying is "You MOVE OVER whenever the right lane is cleared up" God, we have already been though this.
I don't care if you speed- not in the slightest. Feel free. Speed on buddy!

But I'll pass however I like. 5mph over the speed limit is fast enough for me. Again- why should I care even a little bit that you feel *entitled* to go 10mph over the speed limit?

You'll be perfectly free to do so once I'm done passing that line of cars. It'll only take a few minutes. Just relax and enjoy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive