Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 12:37 PM

572 posts, read 435,684 times

Advertisements

Like, one that was just doing something so outrageous or unsafe in front of you (or around you) you just had to try? And, if so, what happened?

I did once. Someone in a burgundy, late-model Maxima. Tailgating people and then blowing by them... in a heavy rainstorm, and at 85-90MPH+. I called, gave descriptor, remained Anonymous... They told me (State police) "OK, we'll pick him up" or "We'll be waiting for him," somehow I highly doubt this.

So. Begin! Have you ever?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 12:52 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Had a car weaving in front of me. Called the local PD and they picked him up for DUI. Turns out he was celebrating getting out of jail that morning.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:52 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,319,577 times
I think that if they have a hotline phone number for this, they also need one for people who insist on driving 15 mph in the left lane and refusing to move over or those who get on a curvy mountain road and turn into "windshield tourists" driving 20 mph on a 45 mph road with a whole parade of cars held hostage against their will behind them.

So--no, I have never called on someone for being overly aggressive, but I sure wish I could call on someone for holding up lines of traffic and not moving their carcus out of the way.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:31 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I think that if they have a hotline phone number for this, they also need one for people who insist on driving 15 mph in the left lane and refusing to move over or those who get on a curvy mountain road and turn into "windshield tourists" driving 20 mph on a 45 mph road with a whole parade of cars held hostage against their will behind them.

So--no, I have never called on someone for being overly aggressive, but I sure wish I could call on someone for holding up lines of traffic and not moving their carcus out of the way.
You can do that here, it's unlawful to use the far left lane except to pass. It's also illegal to hold up 5 or more cars without pulling onto the side to let them pass.You just have to use the non-emergency number, not 911, and chances are nothing will happen unless an officer is right in that area with nothing to do.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:36 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,769,559 times
My wife did once. There was this truck blowing by everybody on the interstate- had to be going 90+. Normally I wouldn't think much about that and I doubt she would either- but while this was going on there was a girl who couldn't have been over 8 or 9 years old crawling out the back window and into the truck bed. Not cool.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:39 PM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times
I observed a fellow stagger into a liquor store then come out looking for his car. I called the local police and hey were there before the fellow got to his car. They questioned him and ended up giving him a ride home.
I later asked on of the cops. He said they had no seen him driving and rather then wait until he did and maybe cause a problem, they felt it best to do what they did especially as the fellow had a clean driving record.

Old 03-15-2017, 02:23 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,241,982 times
Sure. I used to work the late shift at a call center a long time ago, so coming home around midnight to 1 am on an almost daily basis, I saw lots of cars driving erratically with drunk drivers, etc. I've also called when I've witnessed road rage.

I've never been around to see if anything came of it, but I'd feel bad if those people ended up killing someone and I had done nothing to try to prevent it.

Old 03-15-2017, 02:29 PM

797 posts, read 752,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I observed a fellow stagger into a liquor store then come out looking for his car. I called the local police and hey were there before the fellow got to his car. They questioned him and ended up giving him a ride home.
I later asked on of the cops. He said they had no seen him driving and rather then wait until he did and maybe cause a problem, they felt it best to do what they did especially as the fellow had a clean driving record.
Wow where was this? So humble cops I'd say.God Bless those fellows.

Old 03-15-2017, 02:38 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
I saw a boulder/large rock on interstate one late morning. I dialed 911 on my cell phone. I didn't have time to state where the rock was as the operator already knew and advised me that I was about 2 miles south of the rock and heading South on the interstate.

Old 03-15-2017, 02:51 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,194,362 times
Yes I have called the cops.

I was once following a 1969 Dodge Charger with a Confederate Flag on the roof. I saw two guys putting in illegal moonshine in the trunk of the car. I called the cops and a chased pursued. The two vehicles came to a road construction site where there was a dirt ramp. The '69 Charger flew right over the ramp and cleared the road. The cop car tried to jump the same ramp but with disastrous results.

It was one time the cops did not get their guy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive