Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 06:54 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times

Advertisements

Here is an actual video from my dashcam past weekend. Driving on the NJ Turnpike between exit 18 and exit 15.

The speed limit is 65 and minimum speed is 55 on the NJ Turnpike.

The NJ State law also imposes: KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS.

The cars in front of me are doing 60-62mph while I want to do 75mph.

I've been accused of tailgating on this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/automotive/2819062-do-you-have-problem-if-faster.html

Which I don't necessarily disagree but I believe is required to get noticed by someone on the left lane driving slower than me.

And look at this guy on the left lane, he is either driving under the influence or he sucked at driving.

Last edited by vision33r; 09-11-2017 at 07:03 PM..

Old 09-11-2017, 09:17 PM

24,421 posts, read 23,080,421 times
I've seen videos with far more aggravating drivers doing much more outrageous driving. There wasn't much there to get upset about, really.
But it takes me back to a particular older driver that got his jollies out of deliberately getting in front of anyone who came up behind him. I was in the passing lane and he moved to get in front of me. I moved over and passed him on the right, happy that he didn't speed up and get in my lane again. Then in the rear view mirror I saw him move back to the right lane when another car came up behind him and was going to pass him. That driver had to change lanes to pass him, too. He was going under the speed limit so I guess he just liked being a doofus. I'm not a lead foot, either, I was doing the speed limit.
Then one time I was in the passing lane anticipating making a left up ahead. It was a bit away, but not more than a mile at most. Along on my right passes a young guy and his girl and he motions with his arm out the window that I should be in the right lane. We both made the same left turn with him naturally ahead of me but still in view of each other. Yeah, I was going to stay in the right hand lane and then have to change lanes right before the turn. Its idiots like that that think they know what every driver should be doing that are the worst offenders of being annoying.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:54 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,038,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

Here is an actual video from my dashcam past weekend. Driving on the NJ Turnpike between exit 18 and exit 15.

The speed limit is 65 and minimum speed is 55 on the NJ Turnpike.

The NJ State law also imposes: KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS.

The cars in front of me are doing 60-62mph while I want to do 75mph.

I've been accused of tailgating on this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/automotive/2819062-do-you-have-problem-if-faster.html

Which I don't necessarily disagree but I believe is required to get noticed by someone on the left lane driving slower than me.

And look at this guy on the left lane, he is either driving under the influence or he sucked at driving.

Whatever speed the cars in front of you were doing, they were not violating the keep right rule in that first video from what I could see. They were going faster than traffic in the center, which was going slightly faster than the traffic on the right. That is exactly how it is supposed to work.Thanks for posting, you've confirmed what I've always suspected about the folks who rant on here about lane hogs: that their only offense is being in your highness' way, not any actual violation of the keep right rule.

You were tailgating them when they didn't even have space to move over, and the guy you were tailing wasn't even the lead car. Then you make an unsafe lane change and cut the guy off in the middle lane because you you're so damn impatient you can't even wait to see if the guy is going to move over. You do realize you're not even supposed to change lanes in front of someone until you can see BOTH of their headlights in your mirrors, right?

Speed limit is 65. It's perfectly reasonable for folks to drop that down a little bit at night, because of reduced visibility. At 75 miles per hour, it's going to take you roughly 433 feet to stop (cite). Do your headlights shine that far ahead? State farm says the average is only about 300 feet on high beams in good condition, which is roughly the stopping distance of a car going at 60. So at 75 at night, you are most likely driving too fast for conditions, regardless of the speed limit.

I have no comment on video #2, however, as that one wouldn't play.

Old 09-12-2017, 01:41 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,088,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
Whatever speed the cars in front of you were doing, they were not violating the keep right rule in that first video from what I could see. They were going faster than traffic in the center, which was going slightly faster than the traffic on the right. That is exactly how it is supposed to work.Thanks for posting, you've confirmed what I've always suspected about the folks who rant on here about lane hogs: that their only offense is being in your highness' way, not any actual violation of the keep right rule.
Um, they absolutely were violating the keep right law. That is not the way it's supposed to work. From 0:21 on, there were no cars to the right of them in any lane, except the one that was passing them. Just because you pass a couple of cars, doesn't give you the right to stay in the passing lane for the next hour. You pass them, then you move over. If somebody passes you on the right, then you are in violation of the keep right law. It's not rocket science.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
You were tailgating them when they didn't even have space to move over, and the guy you were tailing wasn't even the lead car. Then you make an unsafe lane change and cut the guy off in the middle lane because you you're so damn impatient you can't even wait to see if the guy is going to move over. You do realize you're not even supposed to change lanes in front of someone until you can see BOTH of their headlights in your mirrors, right?
If they don't like getting tailgated, they should get their asses out of the passing lane and get over in the slow poke lane where 90 year old ladies drive. When you force other drivers to pass you on the right, YOU ARE THE PROBLEM.

Old 09-12-2017, 04:39 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,998,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post

If they don't like getting tailgated, they should get their asses out of the passing lane and get over in the slow poke lane where 90 year old ladies drive. When you force other drivers to pass you on the right, YOU ARE THE PROBLEM.
Thank you. Amen.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:24 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,952,664 times
If you're doing more than the speed limit you're breaking the law just like the people who aren't keeping right. It would be easier to get everybody to follow the law than to get everybody to socially agree to which laws are ok to break.

The most likely reason the left lane hog is driving in that lane is because they probably don't want to keep lane changing every time they come across a car doing 20 mph slower in the right lanes. Its also an inefficient way to drive. Not everybody gets their adrenaline rush by driving long distances on boring interstates.
The reason you're probably cruising fast in the left lane is because you probably don't want to lane change either and you're upset that the left lane hog is making you do the lane change which honestly isn't really a big deal.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:37 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,472,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
If you're doing more than the speed limit you're breaking the law just like the people who aren't keeping right. It would be easier to get everybody to follow the law than to get everybody to socially agree to which laws are ok to break.

The most likely reason the left lane hog is driving in that lane is because they probably don't want to keep lane changing every time they come across a car doing 20 mph slower in the right lanes. Its also an inefficient way to drive. Not everybody gets their adrenaline rush by driving long distances on boring interstates.
The reason you're probably cruising fast in the left lane is because you probably don't want to lane change either and you're upset that the left lane hog is making you do the lane change which honestly isn't really a big deal.
what? the stupid idiot in the left lane NEEDS TO GET OVER IF they are not passing

Old 09-12-2017, 07:51 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,400,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
From 0:21 on, there were no cars to the right of them in any lane, except the one that was passing them. Just because you pass a couple of cars, doesn't give you the right to stay in the passing lane for the next hour. You pass them, then you move over.
Or for a mere 3 seconds which is exactly how long OP gave them before he started to accelerate and merge into the center lane. At that point, it's wise just to stay in the left lane until the idiot behind goes around or you risk getting rear ended.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:56 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,287,874 times
I absolutely HATE left lane huggers. They are generally the ones mucking up the traffic, showing their inability to understand the rules of the road.

Get the %$#^ out of the left lane if you are not passing. And if you get in the left lane, speed up a tad to pass the car you moved over for and then get back to the right.

This is the BIGGEST pet peeve of mine when driving.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:10 AM

17,626 posts, read 17,690,196 times
Couldn't see the second video. In the first video you were following too close and you cut off the vehicle on the right by changing lanes without a safe distance from the front of the other vehicle. The red car in the front was hogging the left lane but that doesn't excuse your aggressive and dangerous driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive