Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 02:27 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,738,593 times

Advertisements

We just got a new car yesterday and the smell inside is so strong Ive ordered a car HEPA filter, Now why havent new cars now got these purifiers in them.. as the smells can make people very ill including myself.. Our last car took months to offgas and that was with me washing down all the surfaces inside the car with water vinegar and bicarb.... even with leaving the windows open every day , it still took months to get rid of the awful smell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 07:58 AM

19,015 posts, read 27,574,271 times
What do you expect? I am same way - I can't stand "new car" smell.
TOO MANY PLASTICS TOO MANY SYNTHETICS.
Toss in glues and resins and sealants used to build the car.
What do you expect?

WhatOdor works great, BTW.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
What do you expect?

I dont seem to remember cars from years back smelling like this new....and dont know why it doesnt have some kind of health warning... I dont know when Ill be able to travel in the car, and we have a long journey planned for nine days time.. Im dreading it... Never heard of that What Odor but will have a look for it..... IM just hoping the constant washing down off the plastics and roof help as well as airing it.. awful ... thanks for tip.. Just been reading that some car manufacturers are doing their best to cut down on these chemicals which can cause illness...
The good news? Automakers we spoke with, including Fiat/Chrysler, Ford, General Motors and Honda all say they’ve taken steps to reduce VOC levels in their vehicles, along with other substances of concern (SOCs). They say they’ve accomplished this primarily by using different materials, coatings and adhesives in manufacturing, and all say they are continuing to look for ways to reduce the use of potentially harmful substances in their cars.

http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20160...or-your-health

Many of these changes have come about in response to regulations in Europe, where greater restrictions on the use of chemicals are already in place. The European Union’s REACH program (Registration, Evaluation, Authorization, and restriction of CHemical substances) was implemented to protect people and the environment from hazardous chemicals, and to find less toxic substitutes for use in vehicles and other manufactured and consumer goods. China is said to be developing its own regulations, and the US state of California has passed legislation aimed at doing the same. The US, however, has lagged behind at the federal level, where legislation has been introduced but so far failed to gain traction.
The good news? Automakers we spoke with, including Fiat/Chrysler, Ford, General Motors and Honda all say they’ve taken steps to reduce VOC levels in their vehicles, along with other substances of concern (SOCs). They say they’ve accomplished this primarily by using different materials, coatings and adhesives in manufacturing, and all say they are continuing to look for ways to reduce the use of potentially harmful substances in their cars.
One known carcinogen that seems to be on the way out is polyvinyl chloride (PVC), which the Ecology Center found was used in virtually all new car interiors in 2006. By 2012, that number was down to 73%. Manufacturers say PVC use continues to decline, and Honda, for one, claims to have eliminated it entirely from interiors of most models.

Last edited by dizzybint; 03-18-2017 at 10:16 AM..

Old 03-18-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
What do you expect?

Its stated on one site that it takes six months for the new car smell to dissipate... happy days ..not..BBC - Autos - Is new-car smell bad for your health?

Old 03-18-2017, 11:44 AM

421 posts, read 544,103 times
Why don't they have filters? Costs money. Some buyers would pay, but I'm guessing most won't.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:15 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,235,996 times
You get what you pay for.

Most new cars today have an abundance of hard plastics and glue. You have to spend a lot of money to get a car that is made of aluminum, steel, leather, etc. Ironically, these same cars DO have interior filters that are HEPA rated. Some of them even have fragrances that you can disperse throughout the cabin. Tesla, Mercedes, etc... have HEPA filters.

Older cars didn't have these smells because they didn't use much plastic back in the olden days, everything was cheap steel/sheet metal.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:28 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supton View Post
Why don't they have filters? Costs money. Some buyers would pay, but I'm guessing most won't.
The filter is there to remove particles from the fresh air being pulled into the cab by the blower's fan, not to clean the air in the cab. Some automobiles also filter the air in the cab when you set the blower's controls to recirculate the air, but the filter won't remove smells from the air, because the smells are volatile organic vapors. These vapors come from the polyesters, paints, glues, and so on used to build the car.

The best thing you can do is to ventilate the cab by letting fresh air in. If the car is parked in the garage, leave the windows open. If slow driving somewhere on a nice day, open the windows slightly. Otherwise turn the blower's fan to high speed. When the blower is turned on fresh air comes into the front of the cab and moves toward the back. Automobiles are designed with exhaust vents somewhere at rear of the cab.

Last edited by RayinAK; 03-18-2017 at 01:42 PM..

Old 03-18-2017, 02:21 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,250,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
The best thing you can do is to ventilate the cab by letting fresh air in. If the car is parked in the garage, leave the windows open. If slow driving somewhere on a nice day, open the windows slightly.
I do this after I get my car out of the mothball-filled storage building.
It's pretty strong for a couple of weeks, but does dissipate eventually.

Old 03-18-2017, 03:10 PM

862 posts, read 975,211 times
open the windows on a nice day.

Old 03-18-2017, 04:07 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times
Too reduce that new-car off-gassing odor, you would be best-off getting an activated-charcoal filter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive