Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 09:54 AM

885 posts, read 1,166,710 times

Advertisements

We live in NY state and intend to retire to Florida (yeah I know...) when the house is sold (currently for sale). We currently have a 2004 Subaru outback, with 250K plus miles. We want to get a "new" car- a used late model something (we're thinking a minivan since we have 6 dogs). Will be interested in recommendations. Anyway....

Which would be the best way to go in terms of cheaper, easier, better, etc. Here are my questions:

1) Should we take the Subaru with us to Florida, Then at our leisure buy a new car, and this way have it registered in Florida and get plates. How about insurance?

OR...

2) Sell the Subaru now and get a new car here in NY, then when we are down there, registered the new car and change plates to Florida plates. Again how about insurance? I have State Farm. I believe they are down there.

I'm leaning towards #2, or maybe it really doesn't matter either way.

Any thoughts anyone? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 10:16 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,824,560 times
You probably get a better price selling the Subaru in the North since people in Fl won't care about an AWD car. But it's 13 yrs old so it won't be more than a few hundred more at most. You maybe able to check what Carmax will pay for it at both places. If you buy the car after moving, then you just register once, and pay once.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:42 AM

421 posts, read 544,272 times
I'd buy the new car in Florida, where it's never seen salt. Not even once.

Now, "smart" buyers in FL won't want to touch your claptrap. But there might be some who don't know about our salt issues. Buyer beware; and a buyer getting a 250kmile car ought to know better.

Wouldn't FL have cheaper taxes than NY? If so then it's a no brainer.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:09 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,081,106 times
We do not have state income tax here but they make up for that partially with higher (in my opinion) registration fees from out of state vehicles. When we brought our 2014 Kia Sportage from Texas, it cost us $440 to get FL plates.

I would sell in NY. No sense in paying to transport such an old car you don't intend to keep. I personally wouldn't want to drive a car with that much mileage from NY down to FL, either.

We don't have much use for AWD down here so you'll probably get more for it up there than here where it doesn't snow.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:20 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,238,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supton View Post
I'd buy the new car in Florida, where it's never seen salt. Not even once.

Now, "smart" buyers in FL won't want to touch your claptrap. But there might be some who don't know about our salt issues. Buyer beware; and a buyer getting a 250kmile car ought to know better.

Wouldn't FL have cheaper taxes than NY? If so then it's a no brainer.

LOL This is a common misconception. You realize that FL is almost completely surrounded by salt water, right? Every time it rains (which is every day) there's salt getting on your car. The closer you are to the beach, the worse it is. I've seen lots of FL cars that have spent too much time outside and not in garages with bad rust issues, plus lots of paint damage from the hot baking sun and salt water rain baking into the finish. Paint jobs don't last long in FL if your car is parked outside.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:48 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Florida has a 6% sales tax on cars. New York varies depending on where you live in the state. The minimum is 7% in a few counties. Most places are 7.375% to 8.875%. There's really no point in paying extra sales tax, two title applications, two registration fees, NY inspection sticker fee, etc for a car that is immediately going to Florida.

If the Subaru is sound enough to make it to Florida, I'd drive it down and buy my new car there. It's not worth anything and you'd might as well put the 1,500 miles on a beater Subaru. Ignore the "I can get more for AWD in the Northeast". It's a 2004 with 250,000 miles on it. You're not going to get much for it in either state.

If you buy the car in NY and already have a Florida driver's license, you can get a 30 day transit permit with a paper plate. https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/tran...y-registration

Old 03-18-2017, 03:22 PM

885 posts, read 1,166,710 times
Wow, sounds like pros and cons for both sides. Keep the info coming, and thanks to everyone who has responded already.

Old 03-18-2017, 07:59 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Florida has a 6% sales tax on cars. New York varies depending on where you live in the state. The minimum is 7% in a few counties. Most places are 7.375% to 8.875%. There's really no point in paying extra sales tax, two title applications, two registration fees, NY inspection sticker fee, etc for a car that is immediately going to Florida.
As a NYer, I agree with this! And who in their right mind wants to deal with the DMV twice? By the time you receive the title, you may be moved to FL. That's not something you want lost in the mail with an address change.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:32 PM

797 posts, read 752,105 times
Why even sell the Subaru? Just keep it as a side car just in case.
Call insurances and get quotes from both areas and look up sales tax. Overall better waiting till Florida, granted that subaru will keep on going.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:04 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
it depends on how soon you are going to be moving. if the move isnt going to take place for a few months at least, then sell or trade your current car now and get into a new one of your choice.

on the other hand if your move in imminent, then trade your current car when you get o where you are going and get settled in, as long as your current car is reliable.

moving is enough of a hassle that buying a car on top of that can make things even more stressful than they already are. yu dont need the added stress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive