Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 06:12 AM

11,755 posts, read 14,643,030 times

Advertisements

There are people who resist minivans for various reasons, but a minivan is the best vehicle for transporting that number of people and their luggage. If you don't want to buy one, rent one for these periodic trips.

Once you use it a couple of times you'll want to own one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 06:44 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,304,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
There are people who resist minivans for various reasons, but a minivan is the best vehicle for transporting that number of people and their luggage. If you don't want to buy one, rent one for these periodic trips.

I'm amazed that the now 30s couples with young children so forcibly resist mini-cans. I guess they don't want to be seen in a vehicle similar to what their parents owned.

Life is a series of changing roles. In your twenties you are single, seek adventure, enjoy travel. Your car is a Mazda 3, Subaru Impreza, Honda Civic, etc.

In your 30s you have kids. Life has changed. You need lots of space for car seats, diaper bags, strollers, picnic baskets, bicycles, blankets, etc. ad nauseum. A Honda Odyssey would do the trick.

There is no better choice than a mini-van to hold all of that stuff.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:53 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,717,749 times
My Ford Explorer with 3rd row seating can hold 6 very comfortably (2-2-2) and 7-8 (2-3-3) if somes are smaller. I keep the 3rd row folded down as all my golf equipment is in the back.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:22 AM

15,070 posts, read 10,087,917 times
Quote:

Count my wife in on that.

I insisted on a mini-van when we started to grow the family. She refused. Since it was her car, I left it up to her; she chose the Dodge Journey. I think she hated the idea of being a "mini-van-mom". 3 kids later and tired of her complaints, I took the day off and bought a used mini-van without telling her. I told her it was MY car... half jokingly. She borrowed it the next day and its been HER car ever since.

People don't realize just how effective sliding doors are in tight parking spots.

I personally would rather have short wheel base full size van. I grew up with my father driving one... absolutely practical as a comfortable utility and people mover.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:19 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,650,956 times
The 1978 Ford Country Squire seats 8; you don't even need to look for the Wagon Queen Family Truckster Edition.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:24 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,774,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
I need to carry 6 people sometimes on 3 hour long trips (wife, two kids, parents). My regular 5-seater sedan won't do. But I am trying to not go as big as a minivan.

What options do I have? Are there big cars that can seat 6 total?

Or, I saw a car that can has a fold-out 3rd row of seats, just that the space is somewhat cramped. What cars have this design?

Thank you very much.
Chevrolet and Buick made station wagons that can seat 6, up through 1996.

The Chevrolet Impala and Buick Lucerne could seat 6 up through 2013 (though I can't imagine that front middle seat would be especially comfortable). This was the last car to have a "bench seat".

You might be better off finding a good-condition example of a 1980's model station wagon with the third-row rear-facing seats. That way people wouldn't be so cramped.

Or... as people here have said... get a minivan or SUV even if you don't like them. My Pontiac Montana extended wheelbase (2003) fits 8 people and gives us 22 - 25 mpg average (carrying the weight of perhaps 4-5 average adults).

Old 03-19-2017, 10:16 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,609,027 times
Quote:

Can't tow with a minivan....nothing that weighs much. I'll stick to my Durango! Love my Beast! I challenge any minivan to the Durango for people and luggage.

I'd pedal a Schwinn everywhere before I ever bought a minivan. My husband flat out refuses to even acknowledge they exist. They're not for everyone.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:33 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,244,394 times
face your fragile ego and get that mini van. do not succumb to the marketers that make you feel inadequate just so they can sell you a high profit SUV that uses ancient technology where the car company profits $20k or more per vehicle.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:34 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,818,606 times
Quote:

That's my wife. I tried for about six years to get her into a minivan. I finally almost had her into a Honda Odyssey Touring but the damn salesman opened his big mouth about having a Pilot Touring that was the color she really wanted. He was getting nervous and thought I was going to let her tank the sale over the color.

We are happy with the Pilot, though.

Now, five years later, I think I could get her into one much easier.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:28 PM

15,070 posts, read 10,087,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Can't tow with a minivan....nothing that weighs much. I'll stick to my Durango! Love my Beast! I challenge any minivan to the Durango for people and luggage.

I'd pedal a Schwinn everywhere before I ever bought a minivan. My husband flat out refuses to even acknowledge they exist. They're not for everyone.
Yes... one of the reasons why I wish it were easier to find a short wheel base full size van. Towing capacity and people carrier configuration inside; best of both worlds.

However, not many families need to tow things these days and for a 5+ person family no Durango or SUV is going to be as comfortable on long trips as a good minivan. For a lightweight trailer with just stuff, you can still tow with a minivan.

* Sliding doors make for an easier large opening in tight spots without fear of denting adjacent cars.
* Most people tend to drive FWD drive trains easier.
* Low lift-over height in the back and sides. Its far easier for petite people (like my elder mom) to lift packages in and out.
* Smaller tires come a lower lift over. Cheaper to replace. Slightly better MPG.
* Durango is comparable to my Journey interior dimensions. It doesn't compare to a current model mini-van in terms of interior size... not.. even .. close. Our 2008 minivan is small compared to current year model vans, it is still larger and better configured as a people mover.

Yeh... image is important here in the US. I believe that's why they killed off the Caravan and Town & Country in lieu of the Pacifica nameplate even though it now has more in common with a minivan than the crossover it replaced. If you put image ahead of getting the vehicle that suits your needs, then you should be happy with a SUV or something (I like Grand Cherokees...) but I still think you are missing out.

Last edited by usayit; 03-19-2017 at 12:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive