Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 07:07 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times

Advertisements

I spent the day today putting the finishing touches on my '88 Mazda RX7 Convertible engine install.

Tomorrow I will add water, oil, PS fluid and crank it for the first time in about ten years. (For those who may want to know why it took so long, see below*). If I am able to get it started and running with no leaks I will then roll it out into the sun for the first time in ten years.

Here is my question.

If you had a car that sat in the garage for so long? How would you evict the bugs and arachnids? I'd rather not get in to take a ride and get bitten by an angry black widow who had been happy to sit under the seat. I see none in the interior, but the bottom of the exterior was covered in those silk egg sack balls.

My first thought is to just close the top and "bug bomb" it - then take take the seats out and then clean the interior and headliner with carpet cleaner (I want to take the headliner out anyway to clean it.)

Anyone have a better suggestion?

The car sat for ten years because when I felt the engine was starting to get weak at 250,000 miles, I decided to rebuild it. After getting the long block back in place, I put almost all the accessories on and then was about to add fluids and start it when a job offer came in from the Pacific North West. Knowing it would be cold and dark most of the time I decided that I would not need the convertible. So I saw no point in adding fluids and letting it sit for a year or so to corrode. A little more than a year later when I got home, I got a call from another place, and then from Wisconsin, a couple years later, Kansas, etc, etc, etc. After a total of 8 years, I retired, but put off starting it. Finally I am ready!!! Believe it or not I am now hearing about a job offer in Texas that I would have to take if the offer came through.
Attached Thumbnails
Tomorrow is D-Day... Wish me luck!-wood.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 08:53 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,248,094 times
i have not seen one of those on the road in at least 10 years.

I would try compressed air to at least spook the bugs to come out of hiding.

I suspect parking it in the hot sun for a few days would be good enough to kill many of the bugs.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:59 PM

Thanks, if it was summer I would definitely go that way.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:32 PM

19,028 posts, read 27,592,838 times
I see no better solution than to smoke the car. And in some more or less enclosed place, like tent or something. It will take long time for gas to get into every nook. Also, take all filters out. They like those.
https://www.google.com/search?q=rode...IqGqITcdGKDnM:

And even then, you somehow will have to evacuate corpses.
From what I know, from experience, rodents and bugs LOVE hot engines and metal and car interior.

Old 03-25-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I see no better solution than to smoke the car. And in some more or less enclosed place, like tent or something. It will take long time for gas to get into every nook. Also, take all filters out. They like those.
https://www.google.com/search?q=rode...IqGqITcdGKDnM:

And even then, you somehow will have to evacuate corpses.
From what I know, from experience, rodents and bugs LOVE hot engines and metal and car interior.
I pulled the seats in order to clean the carpet. While the seats were out I was able to climb in, lay on the floor and look under the dash. Not a single egg sack, no cobwebs, not a sign of any kind of bugs. I guess there is nothing inside the car that interests them. I'm surprised because the top has been down all this time.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:14 AM

25,573 posts, read 17,281,298 times
I like this story of a long, patient rebuild.
Keep us posted!

Old 03-28-2017, 10:48 AM

Default Why is there always one?

After waiting 5 days, my fuel pump arrived today.

So, I took off the access plate, undid the lines to the tank - phew, that old gas smells horrible; and unscrewed the 8 screws that hold the cover plate and pump assembly to the tank. That is all except one. The last one's head stripped, not I have to go get my screw out and or drill to remove that last screw!

There is ALWAYS 1.

Old 03-28-2017, 11:18 AM

Default Having tools makes all the difference.

I could not get the drill and screw extractor into place, there simply was not enough room.

So I went to my back up... My Dremel... I decided to cut a new flat blade screwdriver slot into the head of the stripped screw...

"Curses, foiled again," the portable Dremel would not cut the slot because the access port is small and the head of the Dremel is too big to clear all the the pump plate parts.

Ahh, but I have a Dremel flex shaft...

Two minutes later, the screw was out.

When I was a kid, I had dexterity, muscle, great eyesight, and all the physical attributes to do jobs like this... but few tools.

Now that I am older. I have lost some of the physical, but I have tools out the ying-yang. It makes a HUGE difference. I'd been debating for years whether or not I wanted to get a garage lift so I don't have to lay in puddles on hard concrete. I think I will order one soon.

Old 03-28-2017, 04:00 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Good goin'. I would suggest just vacuuming the interior really well, maybe with a shop vac. I don't think an aerosol bug bomb is a good idea, it's overkill and may damage the interior.

Maybe put some "No Pest Strip" type bug killers say under the seats?

Even when you know you did everything right, there is that feeling of satisfaction when the damn thing actually starts and runs right.

Yeah, having good tools and a decent garage to work in beats wrestling with it out in the "Mud, Blood, and Beer" so to speak.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:59 PM

Fuel, air, spark, Bam! It's running. Tomorrow I will check the timing and see if I can get it to quiet down a little. I'm thinking I have a exhaust pipe connection loose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive