Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 05:42 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,887,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Nope, you're just missing the point. You said that gps devices are dependent on battery power so paper maps are good backup. I pointed out that you depend on your car. And no, if you're driving to cross country or even across town to work, your paddleboat or bicycle is not an alternative. Not that you would even have it with you. If you drive Atlanta to NYC you are depending solely on your auto and if it breaks dwon in a desolate area you could be stranded. But that is so unlikely to hapen that you'll take your chances with that rather than tow a motorcycle as backup. And the point I was making is that a phone/gps is reliable enough that most people would rather take their chances than hunt down paper maps as backup.
I guess you missed her point about hiking. Few people take their car on a hike. A compass and map definitely has a place when hiking! It is tough to recharge batteries at Big Salmon Lake or on Battery Mountain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 06:01 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,038,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I guess you missed her point about hiking. Few people take their car on a hike. A compass and map definitely has a place when hiking! It is tough to recharge batteries at Big Salmon Lake or on Battery Mountain.
Sure does! and that applies to, what, say about 0.0001% of the population? I'm sure the OP was looking for free AAA maps for their next month long hike along the Appalachian Trail.

Old 03-24-2017, 06:17 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,504,127 times
Sad that we are relying so much on technology that many, if not most by now, wouldn't be able to find Schitts Creek on a map if their gps was suddenly switched off.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:15 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,585,696 times
Quote:
Well, perhaps, for some specialized applications. The DELORME Atlas has about 70 pages of maps to cover Montana's 56 counties. For my purposes, that is detailed enough. The maps show all streams and lakes, most Forest Service roads, all major highways, most campgrounds and boat launches, etc.
Most people don't need the type of maps we had in the Army. We aren't calling in artillery or air strikes.
The DeLormes and similar atlases are useful, and we often use them. Sometimes they are adequate by themselves, sometimes not. That was the point of my post, in reminding people that the USGS still sells maps that can fill unmet needs.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Sad that we are relying so much on technology that many, if not most by now, wouldn't be able to find Schitts Creek on a map if their gps was suddenly switched off.

Actually, it is a good thing for the supposed 0.0001% of the population that hikes. Very, very good, if you get my drift.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:26 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,479,816 times
The very best "paper" atlas isn't a true atlas...it's the DeLorme Atlas & Gazeteer...it has detailed topographic maps, back roads, recreation sites, GPS grids, plus your typical maze of interstates, etc. It is divided up into detailed quadrants. There is one for each state...in the case of larger states like California, there may be more than one. They can be purchased in bookstores or through the company in Maine. Costs between $20-$25. Try that.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:40 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,343,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Sure does! and that applies to, what, say about 0.0001% of the population? I'm sure the OP was looking for free AAA maps for their next month long hike along the Appalachian Trail.
I use to do a lot of appointments on the road and had to get maps and directions.. FREE!! Used map quest.. punched in addresses and destinations. Print them out.. voila.. never missed out nor was overly late ( due to weather) for any clinic.

But for hiking.. all one needs to do is pick initial travel to area.. then input local locations with trails outlined... Park may have maps offered too. I think expecting AAA ( our CAA equivalent) will not give freebee's to anybody! Why should they?

Use your smartphone and internet/or google maps to do it FREE.. print it.. and maintain them environment free incase of bad climate .. Isn't all I have suggested common sense? I'm older now.. but even in Internet infancy.. I figured out how to utilize the benefits.. NO need to expect freebee's from AAA

Old 03-24-2017, 09:34 PM

26,145 posts, read 21,352,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Uh, that's where knowing how to read a map comes in. Engage brain first and keep it turned on while driving.

Unless you are in dense city streets, it isn't necessary to know exactly what milepoint you are at. Landmarks and other obvious clues exist all over the place.
Well the trouble with getting lost is you don't know where you are and a map won't tell you that. However with gps it might

Old 03-24-2017, 09:51 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,503,639 times
Quote:
Walmart: Rand-McNally Road Atlas; maps of all 50 states, Canada, and Mexico
State Tourism Bureaus: FREE maps of the state, usually with a welcome message from the Governor.
Garmin (or Tom-Tom) GPS: Great for finding garage sales in town. Not so much for long distance travel, in my experience.
DELORME Atlas & Gazetteer: One for each state. Detailed topographic maps. Shows back roads, recreation sites, boat ramps, and campgrounds.
Complete with GPS grids.

There you have every paper map you will ever need.
I haven't seen a basic Rand McNally atlas in Walmart in years. I get mine from Amazon these days.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Well the trouble with getting lost is you don't know where you are and a map won't tell you that. However with gps it might
If you are in a town or city, you look for clues such as street signs, bridges, etc to figure out where you are, IF you get lost in the first place.

Using any map or device doesn't stop someone from getting lost. It is only a tool.

If YOU rely on an electronic device to "tell" you where you are, that's your choice. Some of us like to use other methods, and they still work just fine. You can argue till you are blue in the face, but they do. Maybe not for YOU, but for other people. We don't all have such lowexpectations of ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive