Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 10:08 AM

6,552 posts, read 7,133,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Another thing to consider - When a Lexus needs a repair, you better bring the tube of KY with your check book, because you're going to need it. Trust me.

Example: When a suspension bushing in a German car (for the most part) wears out, it's a $50 bushing that you're replacing. When a suspension bushing wears out in a Lexus, it's a $600 control arm assembly that you're replacing. And on a Lexus car, they DO wear out. That's how they're so quiet and smooth, every connector point from the road to the frame of the car is insulated with a soft rubber bushing, which also means it's just as much about time as mileage on when they'll start to crack and fail. And on a Lexus, with that ultra-buttery smooth operation that sold you on the brand, when one thing starts to wear out (or wear unevenly with the others), you'll feel it immediately and it will drive you insane, because that's why you bought the car in general, and it's no longer quite like that. I've never had that problem with their cheaper cousins on the Toyota side, but man did I ever have that problem with both of my Lexus cars. Each well under 100k miles. I got rid of the GS430 at 65k miles after replacing mounts and rear carrier arms. Stupidly kept the LS until 140k miles after chasing around vibrations that resulted in all new suspension components all around, drive shaft coupling mounts, motor and transmission mounts, and tires. I wouldn't call it a waste of money, but I sure could've picked a much cheaper car to climb that learning curve with!
This can't be true, it's a Lexus, they can't do that!! Haha jk Nice or get some owner's info to prove they have problems that 90% of people think can't happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 10:14 AM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,400,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawekeye2011 View Post
While that may be the case for performance production cars such as Porsche 911, Audi R8.

For the ES 350 which is decidedly not a performance production car. But when broken down by individual models, the Lexus ES was named the most reliable compact premium car, and the Lexus GS beat all other midsize premium cars. Toyota and Lexus vehicles topped the rankings in 10 of 18 segments in the U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study released Wednesday by J.D. Power.

Top Compact Premium Car:
Lexus ES
Mercedes Benz C-Class
Acura ILX

Top Midsize Premium Car:
Lexus GS
Mercedes Benz E-Class
Audi A7

The ES shared that spot with the Porsche in terms of reliability. Unless i misunderstood your statement.
It is hard to take JD Power seriously when they classify the 193 inch in length Lexus ES as a compact.
It is the same size as the Audi A6/MB E-class/BMW 5/Lexus GS midsize sedans. It might be in the same price class, but it is a mid size sedan.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:20 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,734,325 times
Quote:
Another thing to consider - When a Lexus needs a repair, you better bring the tube of KY with your check book, because you're going to need it. Trust me.

Example: When a suspension bushing in a German car (for the most part) wears out, it's a $50 bushing that you're replacing. When a suspension bushing wears out in a Lexus, it's a $600 control arm assembly that you're replacing. And on a Lexus car, they DO wear out. That's how they're so quiet and smooth, every connector point from the road to the frame of the car is insulated with a soft rubber bushing, which also means it's just as much about time as mileage on when they'll start to crack and fail. And on a Lexus, with that ultra-buttery smooth operation that sold you on the brand, when one thing starts to wear out (or wear unevenly with the others), you'll feel it immediately and it will drive you insane, because that's why you bought the car in general, and it's no longer quite like that. I've never had that problem with their cheaper cousins on the Toyota side, but man did I ever have that problem with both of my Lexus cars. Each well under 100k miles. I got rid of the GS430 at 65k miles after replacing mounts and rear carrier arms. Stupidly kept the LS until 140k miles after chasing around vibrations that resulted in all new suspension components all around, drive shaft coupling mounts, motor and transmission mounts, and tires. I wouldn't call it a waste of money, but I sure could've picked a much cheaper car to climb that learning curve with! Whomever ended up buying that LS, bought probably the best 95' in Raleigh, NC back in 2007. It was flawless when I got rid of it, primarily because (1) wife refused to drive it, (2) I was exhausted by fixing it and felt that since it was back to near perfect it was time to ditch it before anything started happening to it again.
Let's not fool anyone, any luxury car will cost an arm and a leg to repair, especially if you take it to the dealer.

Thing is a Lexus is the MOST reliable brand so in general you will spend less time at the shop than anything German. Let's not start saying German cars are easy on the pocketbook, because they aren't.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:27 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,556,796 times
Not saying that at all. But, I would not think that just because you may see the german repair shop twice where you'd see the lexus repair shop once, that it's that much cheaper to have the lexus, because that's not the case.

Last edited by NC211; 08-30-2017 at 02:47 PM..

Old 08-30-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Not saying that at all. But, I would not think that just because you may see the german repair shop twice where you'd see the lexus repair shop once, that it's that much cheaper to have the lexus, because that's not the case.
Also doesn't mean that every german repair is cheaper than a Lexus. I'm fairly certain they are around the same price for similar repairs on most issues. You're bending over either way. At least with Lexus you're just bending over fewer times.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Also doesn't mean that every german repair is cheaper than a Lexus. I'm fairly certain they are around the same price for similar repairs on most issues. You're bending over either way. At least with Lexus you're just bending over fewer times.
And falling asleep while driving to and from the bending over part

Old 08-30-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
And falling asleep while driving to and from the bending over part
You should go have that checked out. Might be underlying issues.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
You should go have that checked out. Might be underlying issues.
I would only have that problem if I had a Lexus, so no issues here.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
I would only have that problem if I had a Lexus, so no issues here.
I sure wouldn't want to share the road with someone who falls a sleep at the wheel. Just sayin'...Do us all a favor and get it checked out pronto.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:02 PM

604 posts, read 653,270 times
Quote:
I sure wouldn't want to share the road with someone who falls a sleep at the wheel. Just sayin'...Do us all a favor and get it checked out pronto.
He is sarcastic... Lexus/Toyota are known to be boring cars who would put any true driver into an induced sleep mode...but many of us are are safe since would never consider a Lexus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive