Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 11:36 PM

1,088 posts, read 1,463,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawekeye2011 View Post
So I'm in the market looking for a Certified Pre Owned Lexus car but recently thought about Audi as they make really nice looking cars.

I've been looking at 2016 Lexus ES 350's with Navigation pretty heavily and like the features it has.

What would be Audi's version of the ES 350 the Audi A6?

What I'm looking for is something that is quiet in the interior for mostly highway driving in Texas for my commute. Would the Audi as quiet going down the road as the ES?

I currently drive a Hyundai Elantra so I'm sure either would be way quieter than what I have now.

Opinions Go!
The Audi A6 (or the BMW or M-B models in this class) will be as quiet as the Lexus ES350. The German cars are more engaging to drive, but the Lexus is basically an isolation booth for the occupants. If you plan to keep this car for at least 100k miles, go with the Lexus! In the long run, it will be your best bet for reliability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 02:38 AM

890 posts, read 882,898 times
My son just had a new Audi 4000 incinerate itself, spontaneous combustion while he and his wife were on the highway. He has some pretty dramatic pictures and a video of what occurred. Turns out there was a recall to prevent this, but he had not yet been notified.
I would have to vote Lexus if you want reliability. Audi has beautiful interiors, but I have come to the conclusion if you want to buy German, buy Mercedes, not VW/Audi.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:03 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,934,018 times
Audi is prettier and better tech
Lexus is nice, more reliable, cheaper to fix

Old 03-24-2017, 07:07 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,934,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graywhiskers View Post
My son just had a new Audi 4000 incinerate itself, spontaneous combustion while he and his wife were on the highway. He has some pretty dramatic pictures and a video of what occurred. Turns out there was a recall to prevent this, but he had not yet been notified.
I would have to vote Lexus if you want reliability. Audi has beautiful interiors, but I have come to the conclusion if you want to buy German, buy Mercedes, not VW/Audi.
As long keep Audi maintained it will have average reliability synthetic oil, filters change, premium gas, brake pads and rotors, sensors replacement, various parts change on time.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:17 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,297,831 times
Used to own an A5 and now have an ES. You get more hp in ES even though the turbo in A5 will make you think otherwise. I would go with ES from buying perspective. After leasing or owning multiple german cars in past, I would honestly only buy them if the extended warranty is covering most of the parts and labor etc. So perhaps if you were leasing I would advice you to enjoy A5 but if you want to buy it, go with Lexus.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:25 AM

244 posts, read 514,381 times
Yea as far as fun to drive I used to have a mustang and that was a blast to drive around. Then a hail storm totaled it and I went for something with good gas mileage and got the Hyundai big mistake... if Lexus is a boring car to drive then I think it will feel down right sporty compared to what I drive now lol.

To be honest I sit in traffic going slower than 60MPH most of the time in my car as it is. So I don't really have a need for a car that can weave in and out of traffic at sub highway speeds lol.

I like the notes that everyone brings up about being super reliable so I think i just needed that extra little nudge that I'm picking the right car for a long boring commute in a car that will be nice and quiet and Lexus seems to check those boxes.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:32 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
If you want to drive a Toyota Avalon, why not buy that instead of the same car with a Lexus badge on it?

Old 03-24-2017, 10:58 AM

973 posts, read 915,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
If this is simply a cost issue. Then just get a Toyota instead of Lexus. Same vehicle.
If you decide to go with Audi, just stick with VW then?

Old 03-24-2017, 11:00 AM

2,376 posts, read 2,932,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
If you want to drive a Toyota Avalon, why not buy that instead of the same car with a Lexus badge on it?
No doubt, cracks me up how folks rip the domestic automakers to shreds when they use the same platform on their luxury brand as their non-lux counterpart, but nobody seems to discuss that with Lexus, Acura, etc.

The Lexus ES model, in particular, is a terribly watered-down "luxury" car in my opinion and I'd agree with you - I'd just buy the Toyota which doesn't pretend to be something it's not. Lexus does make some real good luxury vehicles but those are in much higher price points. The ES should ride a little better and be a little quieter than the Toyotas, though, but that's not enough for me to justify the price increase over an Avalon/Camry.

I don't disagree that the Lexus may have better reliability than the Audi, but I'd still buy the Audi. I absolutely hate the ES model as that car has no soul. (I would also only buy the A4 with the optional higher-horsepower engine, too. I don't see the point in paying all that money for a luxury car only to get a wimpy engine and no better performance than your everyday family sedan.)

Old 03-24-2017, 11:06 AM

2,376 posts, read 2,932,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffypoopoo View Post
If you decide to go with Audi, just stick with VW then?

I don't disagree with that, either, actually. If you compare a brand new Jetta versus an A4 it's REALLY hard to justify paying nearly double the price for the A4. It looks better, is a little faster, quieter, etc but boy oh boy do they have a huge price gap between the two.

I've always had the opinion these small and low-powered luxury models are not worth the money. If you're talking the S4, a BMW 550 or something like that now you've got my attention.

I actually got "upgraded" to a BMW 528i a couple weeks ago when traveling. I could not have been any more unimpressed. Car was heavy and slow....with the right powertrain (like the 550) it would have been great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive