Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 06:47 PM

8 posts, read 8,567 times

Advertisements

Yes it is a lesson learned. I just hope she does the right thing and reply back and get everything situated. I am sure she can afford a smog and the repair with her 3 children driving all BMW Mseries and her herself drives an Audi Q5 and a Range Rover living in a gated community where everyone makes a minimum of 250K or more. I sincerely appreciate everyone's help so far and am grateful.

- Joseph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 07:52 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joecm87 View Post
Yes it is a lesson learned. I just hope she does the right thing and reply back and get everything situated. I am sure she can afford a smog and the repair with her 3 children driving all BMW Mseries and her herself drives an Audi Q5 and a Range Rover living in a gated community where everyone makes a minimum of 250K or more. I sincerely appreciate everyone's help so far and am grateful.

- Joseph
Don't hold your breath. If she doesn't answer send certified demand letter and then go to small claims

Old 03-23-2017, 08:42 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
Yes Calif. says the seller is to smog it but in the real world especially a older car from a private party when you pay for it and get the pink slip its your babe.

If you want go to a smog place that allows a free retest and first drive on the freeway for 15 minutes or more to get the converter good and hot and go immediately to the smog place, maybe it will pass.
Change the oil 1st if its due and a tune up too if thats due.

Last edited by V8 Vega; 03-23-2017 at 08:51 PM..

Old 03-23-2017, 08:52 PM

8 posts, read 8,567 times
The title hasn't even been handed over. I am currently in possession of the vehicle and we were suppose to meet up today in regards of the title being transferred but she flaked.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:59 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
The title hasn't even been handed over. I am currently in possession of the vehicle and we were suppose to meet up today in regards of the title being transferred but she flaked.
You may have bigger problems if she doesn't produce a title. Personally, I wouldn't hand over any money unless I got a clean title in return.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:05 PM

6,738 posts, read 2,909,762 times
Quote:
Hello everyone I wanted to get input on my situation first time buying a used car from a private party. The owner sold me a used Audi and had provided a bill of sale stating sold " as is " also the seller knew of the check engine light since it went on in the middle of our test drive. She gave me the option of her taking it in to the Audi dealership and getting it checked out but I said I'll take it today and have it checked out by my mechanic. Did some quick research of what could've caused the check engine light to turn on and online resources stated that probably a loose gas cap. Checked the gas cap and it was loose. Still went ahead to my mechanic and said it's a catalytic converter error code and car won't be able to pass smog. I reached out to her in regards of the situation not knowing that California law requires the seller to provide a smog certificate and only finding out through my mechanic. She said that we had both agreed that this is an " as is " sale and from the looks of it you're coming after me for repairs. She had given me the option of taking it in to her mechanic prior to handing me over the keys but I said to her that I'd take it that day and have my mechanic check it out. Also to mention I haven't received the title yet for we had both agreed to meet up the next following day to pick up the title of the vehicle prior to her knowing about the costly catalytic converter repair. So long story short am I responsible for the car to be fixed and passed smog or is it still the seller. Thank you in advance for your advice. Also I live in San Francisco Bay Area California.
It is the sellers responsibility to make sure the vehicle is smog legal before selling the vehicle. "As is" has no bearing on the law, seller is responsible.
Cat is going to be a very expensive repair, betting seller knew the problem and attempted to fool buyer by putting in the "As is " clause. It won't work, she is going to pay to refund your money.
Let her know that she either takes care of the problem, or expect a visit from the State.

Old 03-24-2017, 06:12 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
You may have bigger problems if she doesn't produce a title. Personally, I wouldn't hand over any money unless I got a clean title in return.
I'm guessing that if he already has the car, money has already been handed over. If so, you're screwed.

Old 03-24-2017, 06:14 AM

421 posts, read 544,489 times
Any other state "as-is" would be the end of the story. Heck the CEL came on during the test drive. How much of a red flag do you need?

Plus it's a used Audi. This is normal behavior for them.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:58 AM

352 posts, read 387,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I'm guessing that if he already has the car, money has already been handed over. If so, you're screwed.
I'm trying to understand this, is it a practice in CA to pay in full without receipt of clear title? What happens if he obtains the title but it is designated as "salvage"?

Old 03-24-2017, 09:22 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
Me thinks the buyer got anxious. Declined the dealer inspection. Bought a vehicle with no title in hand. Already said it was a "salvage", although the reason was spurious.

So, the State will get involved, and after a few months the buyer will give the car back, and after a few more months, the seller will give the buyer the money back. It will be ugly, frustrating, and costly.

Good deals are not always "good" for the party that thinks it is getting a good deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive