Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 11:34 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
It also depends on how far you want to go in classifying a car into a separate class.

For example - They made quite a lot of Pontiac G8s. Fewer were GXP models. Fewer of those had a manual transmission.

SO depending on whether you are looking at "are G8s rare?" No. "G8s with a V8?" Not really. "GXP?" You can probably call those rare, or rare-ish. Manual GXPs? Very rare.

How many made vs. how many survive can also make a difference. They made a lot of Jensen Healey Roadsters. However because unleaded gasoline tended to dissolve the fuel T between the carbs, there are very few remaining - so they are pretty rare (and because it costs more the rebuild the limited life racing engine than the car is worth)

However as mentioned rare does not translate to collectible or valuable. You can get a running J.H. for $3500, a very good condition one for $500 - $7500 and perfect/fully restored for $12K - $20K.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Agreed... rarity depends on a variety of factors. They've made a lot of Vipers, for example, but ACR Vipers are considerably more rare.

Sometimes just having a rare paint color can make a car rare. I had a car once with a factory paint color that was only offered for one year, and they only made 92 that year. As far as that car with the same paint color and options, that was extremely rare, but the model itself wasn't really rare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Example: Cadillac XLR got a refresh in 2009, 987 sold so it's rare.
A few of those were XLR-V's. That car is very rare.
Black Cherry was only offered that year. A Black Cherry XLR-V is very, very rare.
Combined with certain interior colors, I suppose it's possible that a single example exists.

Gonna be collectable down the road.
I'd only be willing to sub-classify down to the body level. Year, make, model, body. Motor, paint, accessories (IMHO) should be excluded because it brings too many unimportant factors into the discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 11:51 AM

772 posts, read 935,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I'd only be willing to sub-classify down to the body level. Year, make, model, body. Motor, paint, accessories (IMHO) should be excluded because it brings too many unimportant factors into the discussion.
Muscle car collectors would disagree with you. Some of the most rare and expensive examples are only rare because they have a certain engine option from the factory, and a numbers matching example can be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasCrown View Post
Muscle car collectors would disagree with you. Some of the most rare and expensive examples are only rare because they have a certain engine option from the factory, and a numbers matching example can be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.
That is true, when we are talking about a room full of collectors of that particular car.

But what of a room full of CD Forum members; is detailed level as important for these folks? For example, if I were at a party and someone said to me, I have a early sixties Mustang, I'd be like "ok". But if they added it's a 64-1/2 Mustang... 2+2 Fastback, my ears would perk up. If they further added "mine has the 'sharp edge hood'", I might be even more interested, but most people in the room would have lost any understanding of the rarity and interest in the subject when you got past 1964.

So, in general conversation, what level do you suggest? Engine, transmission, paint color, radio installed? I guess if I were trying to create a definitive list, all factors would be important. But is that still true in casual conversation?

Old 03-27-2017, 01:36 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Example: Cadillac XLR got a refresh in 2009, 987 sold so it's rare.
A few of those were XLR-V's. That car is very rare.
Black Cherry was only offered that year. A Black Cherry XLR-V is very, very rare.
Combined with certain interior colors, I suppose it's possible that a single example exists.

Gonna be collectable down the road.
Maybe it will be collectible, because at least to some, it's a desirable car.

Consider the E30 M3. About 5000 were imported to the US. At first it didn't get any respect, people would drive them on the street for a while and then turn them into a track rat. A lot of people did that.

Now, probably less than 1000 good, unmolested cars remain. They went from a 15-20K car back in the early 2000s to something around $40K now.

I think what the OP really meant to ask, is "What makes a car appreciate?" - and the short answer to that is there needs to be more demand for the car than there are cars out there.

Collect-ability is not always about being fast. Priced a 21-window VW bus lately?

Old 03-27-2017, 01:57 PM

6,556 posts, read 7,136,101 times
I had an 07 MB that there was only 148 made for North America that year. They made an 08 with around same numbers. The 08 Black Series of it are the collectible ones holding value now (it's one of the best cars ever made)

Old 03-27-2017, 02:08 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasCrown View Post
Like a Hemi Cuda Convertible - made for one or two years and only a few hundred ever made. Worth millions. Pretty much any other Cuda is worth maybe hundreds of thousands at best most are worth tens of thousands (there might be some exceptions,but I have never seen one).

Old 03-27-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
That is true, when we are talking about a room full of collectors of that particular car.

But what of a room full of CD Forum members; is detailed level as important for these folks? For example, if I were at a party and someone said to me, I have a early sixties Mustang, I'd be like "ok". But if they added it's a 64-1/2 Mustang... 2+2 Fastback, my ears would perk up. If they further added "mine has the 'sharp edge hood'", I might be even more interested, but most people in the room would have lost any understanding of the rarity and interest in the subject when you got past 1964.

So, in general conversation, what level do you suggest? Engine, transmission, paint color, radio installed? I guess if I were trying to create a definitive list, all factors would be important. But is that still true in casual conversation?
In a general conversation, in the type of situation you are implying means that not all participants in the conversation are knowledgeable about the subject matter.

In my example above, it's not the car itself that is rare... what made it rare is the factory engine and options chosen when ordered. For someone to understand the rarity, you would need to include WHY it's rare... and in this case, it's an engine/options package on an otherwise normal car that isn't rare at all.

Some people will either get it or they won't. This is also why a lot of people get taken when buying an automobile... they either don't know what they have when selling, or if buying, they think that ALL cars are worth the same as a numbers matching, special options code build.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Like a Hemi Cuda Convertible - made for one or two years and only a few hundred ever made. Worth millions. Pretty much any other Cuda is worth maybe hundreds of thousands at best most are worth tens of thousands (there might be some exceptions,but I have never seen one).
Quite right.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:40 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,092,208 times
Quote:

Just because one party to the conversation doesn't understand the rarity, doesn't make it stop being rare. Same with art, jewelry, etc. Something that's rare and valuable remains so even if not everyone in the room understands why.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Maybe it will be collectible, because at least to some, it's a desirable car.

Consider the E30 M3. About 5000 were imported to the US. At first it didn't get any respect, people would drive them on the street for a while and then turn them into a track rat. A lot of people did that.

Now, probably less than 1000 good, unmolested cars remain. They went from a 15-20K car back in the early 2000s to something around $40K now.

I think what the OP really meant to ask, is "What makes a car appreciate?" - and the short answer to that is there needs to be more demand for the car than there are cars out there.

Collect-ability is not always about being fast. Priced a 21-window VW bus lately?
No, the OP just wanted to know what people consider "rare" and what metrics they use to determine this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive