Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 10:03 AM

421 posts, read 543,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Sigh,. Power windows these days weigh LES than the mechanical versions that have to have heavier mechanisms. They are just as reliable as mechanical window systems, as well and are no more complex (a simple cable on pulleys in most cases). That's just one example. And they are cheap to make when you consider volume across the board and are only using ONE system for every version of that model you make.

And sorry, I like being able to power the window down on the opposite side of the car without leaning over (and in larger cars I can't reach all the window areas anyhow, so mechanical stuff would be pointless). It's not laziness. I HATE people that think that, it's small minded and stupid.
But that's just power windows. And locks. Maybe steering and braking. But what about panoramic sunroofs? Power seats? Climate control? I'm sure there's a few other things. Things that may be nice, but when the break, they no less brick the car--yet cost quite a bit to repair. [Or could cost a lot.]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 10:08 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,088,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supton View Post
But that's just power windows. And locks. Maybe steering and braking. But what about panoramic sunroofs? Power seats? Climate control? I'm sure there's a few other things. Things that may be nice, but when the break, they no less brick the car--yet cost quite a bit to repair. [Or could cost a lot.]

Most of that stuff is pretty robust after decades of development. Seriously. I've got all that stuff on a 168k mile, 16 year old luxury car and it all works just fine.

Old 03-31-2017, 04:11 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,721,431 times
Quote:
Most of that stuff is pretty robust after decades of development. Seriously. I've got all that stuff on a 168k mile, 16 year old luxury car and it all works just fine.
^ This. None of these things have been mentioned that haven't been around for at least three decades now. Well, maybe the panoramic sunroof, but that's more or less the conventional moon roof supersized.

And who lives somewhere that doesn't require at least some form of climate control in the car? Defroster included.

Old 03-31-2017, 05:23 PM

Bah. My sunroof decided to occasionally leak after 8 years or so. Robust my foot. Won't own a car with one again. [Plus wife complained whenever she was in it, she hated having the sun on her.]

As for climate control, I mean automatic. Set the temp and let it have at it.

But yes, I know electric windows have been around for decades. I do like them, myself. My last car had perfectly working electric windows and locks after 11 years and 314kmiles--I know they can go the distance. Backup cameras and TPMS sensors... not so much.

Old 03-31-2017, 05:54 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
I find the opposite of that is true. Optional features are what depreciate the fastest. A base model will hold its value much better.

A $10k gulf between a base and a "limited" or what have you can become just a $1k difference in a couple years.
I tend to see it that way myself. For example base model Porsche Cayman is still a Porsche Cayman but it's a far better value than a loaded one for $20-30k more that doesn't really give you any different driving experience at a fundamental level. The top level trims are not always but often are the worst value and most profitable for the dealer.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:03 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supton View Post
Bah. My sunroof decided to occasionally leak after 8 years or so. Robust my foot. Won't own a car with one again. [Plus wife complained whenever she was in it, she hated having the sun on her.]

As for climate control, I mean automatic. Set the temp and let it have at it.

But yes, I know electric windows have been around for decades. I do like them, myself. My last car had perfectly working electric windows and locks after 11 years and 314kmiles--I know they can go the distance. Backup cameras and TPMS sensors... not so much.
I never understood the sunroof thing either and have always put them in the "crap I don't use and don't to pay for" category. I don't even know if they make a new car that doesn't have power windows, door locks and mirrors. Even my old 2008 base model 350Z had that basic stuff.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:20 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,930,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshotbob99 View Post
Hello,

I recently bought a used car from 2014, and noticed that many of the cars I was looking at had extras that I really didn't need like a computer screen with tire pressure gauges, On-Star, electric seat adjusters, and rear-view cameras, etc. All had electric window openers too obviously.

I would have loved to find a basic car with basic gauges, heat & a/c, basic radio. That's it. But brand new. Considering that old technology usually goes down in price, how much would a brand new but relatively outdated car cost if they still made them? I guess as a benchmark, say a 1995 Toyota or something like it. I would love to buy something like that for $10k. Or would the cost of raw materials and labor prevent it from ever falling that low?

Thanks.
I have my 99 Tacoma Sr5 with 205,000,very basic but enjoyable with no problems.
I will be in your boat,do not need nor want extra junk,if I ever replace it.
As said before 64 years with no tickets nor accidents,do not need all the ridiculous safety equipment,don't speed and beware of your surroundings.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:20 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,319,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
My 1980 Ford Pinto would have been perfect for you.
I think that was the one that caught fire if rear-ended.

Quote:
Impressive. In the 70s or 80s, things would be breaking by 68K.

Old 04-01-2017, 05:34 PM

209 posts, read 168,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshotbob99 View Post
Hello,

I recently bought a used car from 2014, and noticed that many of the cars I was looking at had extras that I really didn't need like a computer screen with tire pressure gauges, On-Star, electric seat adjusters, and rear-view cameras, etc. All had electric window openers too obviously.

I would have loved to find a basic car with basic gauges, heat & a/c, basic radio. That's it. But brand new. Considering that old technology usually goes down in price, how much would a brand new but relatively outdated car cost if they still made them? I guess as a benchmark, say a 1995 Toyota or something like it. I would love to buy something like that for $10k. Or would the cost of raw materials and labor prevent it from ever falling that low?

Thanks.
I bought a 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage 5 speed manual with power windows, basic gauges, heat and ac, led DRL, and Bluetooth for 11,200.

Old 04-02-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
I never understood the sunroof thing either and have always put them in the "crap I don't use and don't to pay for" category. I don't even know if they make a new car that doesn't have power windows, door locks and mirrors. Even my old 2008 base model 350Z had that basic stuff.
Nissan Versa, the most base of base. Maybe it changed this year but when I was looking a year or so ago it has crank windows, manual locks, 5 speed manual. Awful black interior and no sound deadener too. Had Bluetooth for handsfree calling; but you couldn't stream music from your phone to the radio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive