Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 05:17 PM

245 posts, read 311,126 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I recently bought a used car from 2014, and noticed that many of the cars I was looking at had extras that I really didn't need like a computer screen with tire pressure gauges, On-Star, electric seat adjusters, and rear-view cameras, etc. All had electric window openers too obviously.

I would have loved to find a basic car with basic gauges, heat & a/c, basic radio. That's it. But brand new. Considering that old technology usually goes down in price, how much would a brand new but relatively outdated car cost if they still made them? I guess as a benchmark, say a 1995 Toyota or something like it. I would love to buy something like that for $10k. Or would the cost of raw materials and labor prevent it from ever falling that low?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 05:38 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,238,155 times
Nissan Versa 1.6S about as cheap as you get, with a msrp of $11,990

Old 03-26-2017, 05:39 PM

364 posts, read 635,389 times
Can't you get a Nissan versa around 10k sometimes?

Old 03-26-2017, 06:07 PM

5,130 posts, read 6,127,528 times
This is a topic that could morph into Madison Avenue, herd marketing and the techniques for manipulating the buying power of mainstream America.

Seriously though, there are not many people who want basic cars anymore (I still do). The luxury SUV market is riding a wave of success and demand right now. Trucks have become the new comfort coaches. Sedan sales are flat and decreasing.

Until gas goes through the roof again or Americans buying habits change, which I don't think they will, bells and whistles are going to sell vehicles. I am in the South (not that there is anything wrong with that) and work for a large employer and our parking lots are filled with 50 and 60k pickups.....a lot are diesels and I know these guys are pulling anything big.

Entry level cars and trucks are becoming a thing of the past.

Chevrolet has some little ones but like the Prius and other fuel efficent cars they just are not attracting Americans any more.

Old 03-26-2017, 06:20 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshotbob99 View Post
Hello,

I recently bought a used car from 2014, and noticed that many of the cars I was looking at had extras that I really didn't need like a computer screen with tire pressure gauges, On-Star, electric seat adjusters, and rear-view cameras, etc. All had electric window openers too obviously.

I would have loved to find a basic car with basic gauges, heat & a/c, basic radio. That's it. But brand new. Considering that old technology usually goes down in price, how much would a brand new but relatively outdated car cost if they still made them? I guess as a benchmark, say a 1995 Toyota or something like it. I would love to buy something like that for $10k. Or would the cost of raw materials and labor prevent it from ever falling that low?

Thanks.

Some of the things you mentioned, TPMS and back up cameras (soon), are mandatory. Stability Control may also be, I'm not sure.

You have to remember that carmakers, any manufacturer really, builds a product to hit the largest possible buying pool.

That's why regular cab pickups are now somewhat rare, most buyers now want the option of that second seat.

Old 03-26-2017, 06:23 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
I have seen the Jeep Patriot 2WD for as little as $9,999, take away the AC, power windows and locks, and it could probably be as low as $7,500. A smaller 2 door maybe $6,000. Won't happen though, no one would buy them that way, and there is cost savings to the manufacturer to make them all with most of the same features.

Old 03-26-2017, 07:57 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,826,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Nissan Versa 1.6S about as cheap as you get, with a msrp of $11,990
I was riding in a Versa someone had as a rental last year. Kind of amusing how there was no arm rest in the front passenger seat but you could still bluetooth your phone into the 'radio' and go hands-free.

Also:

Mitsubishi Mirage- $12,995
Chevy Spark- $13,000
Ford Fiesta- $13,660

The problem with the ultra cheap new car is that it competes with the 2-3 year old used compact car, and a lot of people would rather go for a late model Cruze or Sentra or Fusion or that is bigger and has more creature comforts and is just all around better than the base model subcompact option. If it weren't for CAFE standards and rental car fleets, there really wouldn't be a subcompact auto segment in the USA.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:35 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,613,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshotbob99 View Post
Hello,

Thanks.
Manufacturers aren't making cars for you. They have to follow government regulations and what appeals to the masses. I quite enjoy all the things you don't care about. I am willing to pay for them. I know very few people who don't want bells & whistles especially considering how much time many of us spend in our vehicles......it's like our mini home on wheels.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:36 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,227,349 times
The problem with buying a new car that's featureless surfaces at trade-in time. Most people want certain features on their cars these days and will by-pass your spartan trade-in, meaning the price has to be much lower to attract a buyer. Saving $1k when buying new isn't such a great bargain if it's worth $1.5K less at trade-in time. When I bought my Prius a couple years ago, I didn't think I needed gps mapping or a fancy stereo, but the dealer said he didn't stock them that way, because nearly everyone wanted the upgrades. He said I'd get the investment back at trade-in time. So I got it that way. *shrugs* I still don't use the gps very often, but it's nice sometimes. Stereo? I listen to talk shows or the radio is off, but I suppose the sound is better even with talk shows. In a Prius, driving down the road at 80 mph, enjoying your speaker system just ain't gonna happen nohow!

Old 03-26-2017, 08:38 PM

17,306 posts, read 12,233,399 times
I find the opposite of that is true. Optional features are what depreciate the fastest. A base model will hold its value much better.

A $10k gulf between a base and a "limited" or what have you can become just a $1k difference in a couple years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive