Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 10:10 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by damac2004 View Post
i have been asking tons of places for quotes telling them im comparing to the civic at $17,100 which is kind of on sale. seems that wouldn't be a bad choice. kind of bummed around here they want thousands more for a base hatchback. also kind of annoyed that syncing with phone apps for gps use, etc. isn't standard on todays radios.
I think it is standard on Chevys. Our Honda Pilot has nav but I think we have could do it to.

Please verify this for yourself since I am not really up on technology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 12:15 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,737,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
The new Corolla with the CVT is a slug. Step on the gas and it makes a lot of noise but barely gains any speed.
a 2017 Corolla with the CVT does 0-60 in 9.7. Again, are you looking to race or commute? More than enough power for 99% of the people out there. And 100% of Corolla owners. And more than enough to sit in heavy rush hour traffic.

Old 03-31-2017, 02:16 PM

784 posts, read 3,120,664 times
I am an older lady driver. I'm still in my 1999 Honda Accord EX 4 cylinder. I've never had a problem accelerating to get onto the freeway or to overtake cars on the freeway. My previous car was a 1992 Honda Civic EX. The acceleration was terrible. I am scared to go back to one of these smaller cars for that reason. But at over 200,000 miles, I know that in the not too distant future I will be in the same boat as the OP.

The problem with the answers I've read in this series of posts is that everyone is coming from a different driving experience. Their replies are relative to what they have driven before and where. I drive on country roads and on very busy freeways. For the country roads I don't need much acceleration - except to pass tractors - , but driving on I-290 to go into and back from Houston, I do.

Maybe the OP should just ask his Mom what kind of car she wants

Old 03-31-2017, 02:25 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,469,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
a 2017 Corolla with the CVT does 0-60 in 9.7. Again, are you looking to race or commute? More than enough power for 99% of the people out there. And 100% of Corolla owners. And more than enough to sit in heavy rush hour traffic.
9.7 is ungodly slow - will barely make it on a highway merge

Old 03-31-2017, 07:43 PM

926 posts, read 828,217 times
Quote:
The 3.0T in my A6 is what I call enough power. Anything less isn't enough lol. I would never own a Corolla, soo slow and boring and overpriced.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:52 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,668,972 times
Quote:
Again, wrong. 9.7 seconds is awful, unacceptable. And that's 0-60, highway performance will be even worse. Not all of us are used to 11 second 0-60, 1975 Caprices like you drove. Even still that car had V8 torque which at least would give the driver some confidence. You work with what you've got, it's not the 70s anymore. That's like saying we can't be happy for the HPV vaccine just because your generation didn't have it. The average 0-60 time for all new cars is much faster than nearly 10 seconds.

If you like driving underpowered 4 cylinders, have at it. There have been a million instances (non reckless, btw) where I've merged a certain way, been in a situation, etc. where I thought to myself, "I'm glad I have a fast car."

Old 04-01-2017, 05:03 AM

672 posts, read 698,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT123 View Post
Again, wrong. 9.7 seconds is awful, unacceptable. And that's 0-60, highway performance will be even worse. Not all of us are used to 11 second 0-60, 1975 Caprices like you drove. Even still that car had V8 torque which at least would give the driver some confidence. You work with what you've got, it's not the 70s anymore. That's like saying we can't be happy for the HPV vaccine just because your generation didn't have it. The average 0-60 time for all new cars is much faster than nearly 10 seconds.

If you like driving underpowered 4 cylinders, have at it. There have been a million instances (non reckless, btw) where I've merged a certain way, been in a situation, etc. where I thought to myself, "I'm glad I have a fast car."
I especially agree with the bold. You should give yourself as many advantages as you can when driving. I don't have a crazy fast car either. It's a Camry with a v6, and has a 0-60 of 5.8 seconds. I had a 4 cylinder Camry before that. It was just to under powered for my taste and I had less room for error when merging into traffic or other driving related situations. It was bad enough that I rolled negative equity into my current loan just to have more powerful car. My driving satisfaction increased immensely and I have more wiggle room in everyday driving.

For a midsize car I won't go back to a 4 cylinder again unless it's a turbo as long as they still produce v6 versions of the car. For a small car 4 cylinders are fine for the most part. I didn't know the Corolla had such an abysmal 0-60 time in 2017. It seems that they have been using the same engine for the last 15 years. The civic is a far better choice when it comes to having enough power. Toyota is general lag behind their competitors when it comes to 4 cylinder engines.

Last edited by dc1538; 04-01-2017 at 05:15 AM..

Old 04-01-2017, 07:42 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1538 View Post
I especially agree with the bold. You should give yourself as many advantages as you can when driving. I don't have a crazy fast car either. It's a Camry with a v6, and has a 0-60 of 5.8 seconds. I had a 4 cylinder Camry before that. It was just to under powered for my taste and I had less room for error when merging into traffic or other driving related situations. It was bad enough that I rolled negative equity into my current loan just to have more powerful car. My driving satisfaction increased immensely and I have more wiggle room in everyday driving.

For a midsize car I won't go back to a 4 cylinder again unless it's a turbo as long as they still produce v6 versions of the car. For a small car 4 cylinders are fine for the most part. I didn't know the Corolla had such an abysmal 0-60 time in 2017. It seems that they have been using the same engine for the last 15 years. The civic is a far better choice when it comes to having enough power. Toyota is general lag behind their competitors when it comes to 4 cylinder engines.
I find the Camry's 2.5L 4cyl to be adequate, much better than that little 1.8L in the Corolla. My Sonata is a 4cyl, but it has 198hp and feels plenty peppy.

Honestly, I blame part of the Corollas horrible acceleration on its CVT.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:59 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Better yet, try an old VW Microbus. Fun times.
I hate getting stuck behind one of those VW buses in the mountains. Fortunately, most of them have died of old age. The ones that are still wheezing along are still maxed out at 20 mph going up a mountain.

Old 04-01-2017, 12:51 PM

672 posts, read 698,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I find the Camry's 2.5L 4cyl to be adequate, much better than that little 1.8L in the Corolla. My Sonata is a 4cyl, but it has 198hp and feels plenty peppy.

Honestly, I blame part of the Corollas horrible acceleration on its CVT.
Mine was the last year of the 2.4L which had 155hp. The 2.5L has about 20+ horsepower and torque which is pretty significant. I drove a rental 2.5L Camry for a few days, some years ago, and had no complaints. It wasn't enough time to form a long term opinion about it though. The 2.5L still lags behind it competitors in horsepower/torque and Toyota was late updating the 4cyl compared to their competition. I could live with a 198hp 4cyl in a midsize car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive