Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 09:52 PM

140 posts, read 213,353 times

Advertisements

Looking to buy a used car that I like. It's a 2014 and the carfax showed tires were replaced twice already with only 23k miles on it. Here's where it gets stranger. I test drove the car and it runs nice and smooth. I returned to the dealer a few hours after the test drive to discuss financing and ask about the tires and noticed 1 of the tires was flat . He said it must have ran over a nail on the test drive.

Honestly my gut told me to run away but I really like the configuration of the car and don't know when I'll come across one with same features at a fair price. The Dealer assured me there's nothing to worry about but he lied already about the carfax not being available . .(gave me an auto check report instead ). I found the carfax online. He also said there were no recalls on it but there is one.

Should I run away? There are the most easy going dealers I've ever come across, no pressure at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 09:58 PM

17,073 posts, read 11,923,562 times
Somebody typo a tire rotation as a tire replacement instead? Swapping out winter or performance tires maybe. Sporty car? Area with winter weather?

In any case wheels/tires would not be a deal breaker for me on a car. Pretty much expect to put new tires on. Whether a new car with a poor choice of oem tires or a used one with potentially worn out ones.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:32 PM

140 posts, read 213,353 times
It's possible but they seemed to coincide with when the inspections were done. And when I saw the tire flat upon returning to ask about the tires, that really worried me. My tires last about 40k usually. Is it possible that there could be some kind of front end issue causing the tires to wear out extremely quickly? Would that be covered by lemon law?

Old 03-31-2017, 10:37 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,589,442 times
You see this a lot in winter climates where people have winter tires mounted in fall and then summer tires mounted in spring. It usually shows up as "four tires replaced" or "four tires mounted" (or something like that). Another possibility is that the tires didn't wear properly and were replaced. And another possibility is that the previous owner had bad luck, or drove like a moron. So unless you can get the actual maintenance history, it's tough to say.

From years of auction preview/buying, I can tell you that if the car was abused there will be other signs of premature wear.

From a macro perspective, if you doubt the car, it's best to move on from for peace of mind.

Last edited by 43north87west; 03-31-2017 at 10:50 PM..

Old 04-01-2017, 11:10 AM

32,477 posts, read 47,405,393 times
I don't know. My son just bought a new car and immediately had the brand new rims and tires taken off and replace by new, but different type, rims and tires. Then next October, he will buy another set of rims and a set of either studded tires or snow rated tires. So that would be two new sets of rims and tires in 6 months and I doubt he'll have more than 23,000 put on the car and nothing wrong with the car.

Dd the car come from a snow and ice area?

If you buy it, take it in and have the alignment checked. If tires are going flat, I would guess that the rims need to be replaced. Maybe the rim isn't exactly straight. But flat tires get fixed, not replaced with new tires.

if you want the car, make your offer that you will give X number of dollars, but that they have to give the car an alignment.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:31 AM

749 posts, read 725,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geo631 View Post
Looking to buy a used car that I like. It's a 2014 and the carfax showed tires were replaced twice already with only 23k miles on it. Here's where it gets stranger. I test drove the car and it runs nice and smooth. I returned to the dealer a few hours after the test drive to discuss financing and ask about the tires and noticed 1 of the tires was flat . He said it must have ran over a nail on the test drive.

Honestly my gut told me to run away but I really like the configuration of the car and don't know when I'll come across one with same features at a fair price. The Dealer assured me there's nothing to worry about but he lied already about the carfax not being available . .(gave me an auto check report instead ). I found the carfax online. He also said there were no recalls on it but there is one.

Should I run away? There are the most easy going dealers I've ever come across, no pressure at all.
First of all, if you feel uncomfortable about this car, walk away. Just walk away.

That said, it is fully possible that somebody had different rims & tires installed on this car when it was new, simply because they liked a different style.

Also, a flat tire can be completely and totally random. In fact, a flat tire IS random.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:33 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,197,505 times
Makes no sense. Unless there was something horribly bent or worn on the car or the driver just drove it like a drift car daily I can't see how the tires could be worn out and need replacing that soon.

I have a truck that I took on a long distance trip. At the beginning of my trip one of the shocks blew out. By about 600 mile mark I was getting a feathered/cupped tire. By 1200 miles it was noticeable wear.
Replaced shocks and rotated tires. Ended up changing tires because the worn one was super loud. Still sold the old new tires for $100 less than I paid

Old 04-01-2017, 11:38 AM

17,466 posts, read 17,280,197 times
Did the rims look scratched or damaged? Was it a sports car? Was the camber outrageously off? If non of these are the case then it's possible they marked a rotation as a tire replacement.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:45 AM

6,403 posts, read 7,600,115 times
Take the car to a trusted mechanic and get his/her opinion. No one on CD can see the car.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:50 AM

18,923 posts, read 43,211,623 times
Some people are picky about tires and replace them for many different reasons. I replaced all of the tires on my car at only 18k miles, they still looked new, but were too noisy to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive