Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 10:32 AM

18,933 posts, read 43,293,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I remember the last generation of Cressida was considered the last car you'll ever buy. That would be the late 80's, early 90's. Now you never see one. Rarely do you see any old Toyota, Nissan, Honda, etc. So much for foreign cars being better made.

Let's go back to say... 1992.

You could expect a Camry or Maxima to run 200k miles without any major repairs, and the body and interior often held up great as well. The Japanese used excellent quality cloth on their upholstery back then.

Now from that same year, look at domestics like the Lumina or Taurus... those cars would often need a transmission overhaul around 100k miles, and by then the paint would often look terrible with peeling clearcoat, and the interior would look worn with buckled and warped plastics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 10:40 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,180,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I see old Japanese cars everywhere here. Heck a lot more than Domestics or European ones.

Don't remember the last time I've seen a 90's Taurus, Malibu, etc.

Must be a regional thing.
In the Midwest, all of the Japanese cars rusted to bits.
There are no old Hondas or Toyotas here, only the occasional old sports car.
I know a guy who has an '87 Z and I've seen a couple of Datsun 1600s.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:06 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,684,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
In the Midwest, all of the Japanese cars rusted to bits.
There are no old Hondas or Toyotas here, only the occasional old sports car.
I know a guy who has an '87 Z and I've seen a couple of Datsun 1600s.
Have to compare it to other cars of same generation. How many old domestic cars do you see? Are you rural or urban. Truth be told small town america you'll see a higher percentage of domestics. In bigger towns it does sway a bit more the other way.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:13 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,180,518 times
Quote:
Have to compare it to other cars of same generation. How many old domestic cars do you see? Are you rural or urban. Truth be told small town america you'll see a higher percentage of domestics. In bigger towns it does sway a bit more the other way.
I see old domestic cars all the time. Not a small town... metro area is almost 400K.

Heck, I see three different 1st generation Cavaliers regularly, still somehow chugging along.
The paint is shot, but there's not that much rust on 'em. Rust is what determines what's still here and what's not.
They go nuts with the salt in these parts and Japanese cars of the 70's and 80's couldn't handle it.

They ran fine but fell apart around the powertrain. That's what happened to my '81 Datsun 810.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:13 AM

8,619 posts, read 10,996,451 times
those old Honda CRX...stock... can surpass 50 MPG...absolutely amazing and fun cars.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:42 AM

45,003 posts, read 59,991,288 times
Quote:
There are a lot of mid-90s Ford Taurus'/Mercury Sables, both sedans and wagons (oldest son has two '95 wagons on the road right now), still operating in this part of Maryland as well as the '96 era redesign.

I just got rid of a '91 Lumina (rusted and wrecked) and an '03 Taurus within the last 18 months or so.

Old 04-04-2017, 12:19 PM

10,438 posts, read 7,541,246 times
Much better looks back then than now, IMO. Especially so with their trucks and SUVs.

As others have mentioned these older, Asian manufactured vehicles were unfortunately very prone to rust, which doesn't look so good.

Gains in aerodynamics and engine fuel efficiency have been squandered and mostly canceled out by consumer demand for more HP, speed and size.

Larger model size is to some degree a result of greater safety features, but also due to rising obesity rates.

Old 04-04-2017, 12:20 PM

45,003 posts, read 59,991,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Much better looks back then than now, IMO. Especially so with their trucks and SUVs.

As others have mentioned these older, Asian manufactured vehicles were unfortunately very prone to rust, which doesn't look so good.

Gains in aerodynamics and engine fuel efficiency have been squandered and mostly canceled out by consumer demand for more HP, speed and size.

Larger model size is to some degree a result of greater safety features, but also due to rising obesity rates.

Some of you guys say that in nearly every thread. I'd like to see the proof, if you will, of that.

Old 04-04-2017, 12:33 PM

2,166 posts, read 3,106,442 times
The first new car I ever bought was a 92 Altima. I got the 5 speed instead of the automatic. Loved that car. Put nearly 200k on it in about 6 years. It still looked good and ran great when I sold it to a friend who bought it for his teenage daughter. It was ruined in 6 months.

Old 04-04-2017, 12:44 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,712,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
1995 Honda Accord V6 sedan: 170 hp, 17/23/19 mpg (EPA, revised); 19/25/21 mpg (EPA, original)
2017 Honda Accord V6 sedan: 278 hp, 21/32/24 mpg (EPA)

Sure looks like improvement on both fronts to me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive