Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 06:37 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,621,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simcat View Post
This is what happened: I had a call from a 714 number today. A person was offering to buy my car and said they had asked the bank for finance and would get an answer tomorrow. They understood that it was low miles and didn't need to see the car. They said that if the money was approved we could meet at the bank and sign over the title there and be handed a cashiers check. I felt there must be something wrong or suspicious as this was too easy. I searched the number and it is a NISSAN Dealer. I'm wondering why they didn't tell me who they were? Have you come across this before and can you tell me if they could be setting me up for a low ball offer.

My car is in great condition and the photos showed that, It's around the $12,000 mark. I'm I being suckered in?

Any advice appreciated.
If the call was from a "NISSAN" dealer, why in the world would they "MEET YOU AT THE BANK". I would think that any reputable dealer would have financing in place. That being said, if you choose to move forward tell the "BUYER" that meets you at the bank that you want him / her to go inside the bank with you and verify that the cashiers check is real, or better yet since your at the bank have him / her endorse and cash it and hand you the money instead. Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 08:19 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,377,992 times
I would recommend any body selling a car to not meet the buyers at your home. Drive to a local gas station and meet them and bring a friend. Also do it in the daytime. Get the plate number of they car they drove.
If you are selling a collectible or a newer car get a phone number from them before you meet them and call that number to verify that you can get back in touch with them.
A few years back I read about somebody selling a valuable collector car and the "buyers" stole the car from him at gunpoint.

You just can't be too careful.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:51 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,770,378 times
I agree on the meeting someplace in between.

One thing I have learned about Craigslist that I didn't post in my earlier posts....when you place an ad, you have idiots that will flag your posts down for no reason other than because they can or they have the same thing for sale but don't want anyone to buy yours so if theirs is the only one left for sale...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive