Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 05:00 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times

Advertisements

I think Cobra replicas are pretty cool (if you fit) and many are very well done.
Pre-owned ones are not horribly expensive, powertrains are robust and they're fast as hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 05:31 PM

50 posts, read 50,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Acura NSX
Said it before I could.

I hope to have one of these some day.

Old 04-06-2017, 07:23 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
I went through this decision process, first about six years ago then again last year, when my first was getting a bit long in the tooth.

For purposes of discussion, terms are as follows:

Sports car: BMW, Audi, Porsche, Jaguar, more I'm sure. There are exceptions in each line, such as the R8, GT3-RS, and probably more right on the edge of "exotic." An R8 will flatten just about anything out there, but they aren't cheap. Nothing I know of better than a GT3-RS on a track, though they're painful on the street but definitely "exotic" in that driving one around town is probably a sign of lunacy.

Exotic: basically anything by Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Aston-Martin, and the super-exotic million dollar brands like Bugatti. Probably others.

So, on carefully consideration, I decided no exotics at this time. Looked a Ferrari F430s, somewhat affordable used (low hundreds). Ditto Gallardos. Great cars, a little too "out there" for my purposes. They're a little twitchy and need TLC. This is not a bad thing, but understand that going in. You won't really be able to touch used Murcielago, Aventador, Huracan, or F458 for less than high hundreds used. Anything lower, I'd suspect something wrong with the car.

Thus, I'm on my second Porsche 911, first being a used 996 Turbo and now 991 GTS. They aren't quite exotic, but each a total barrel of monkeys and reasonably reliable, too. Not like Toyota, though.

So per your last paragraph you've reached the same conclusion. I'll tell you my next potential strike, more exotic than sports car. After careful consideration and research...

...the Ferrari California should be a strong contender. There are sharp ones out there, 3-6 years old, for $130K or so. They are gorgeous, more Grand Tour than anything. Seems to be a car that screams out black, white, or other non-flashy color IMO.

Runners Up, Similar Pricepoint:

...Maserati GranTurismo should definitely be a contender, too. I like the GT MC and other limited variants. Pricing is similar. The depreciate fast. Definitely a GT car more than "sport". In dark red or blue with murdered-out wheels, they are a sight to behold indeed.

...If you can find one, a used Aston Martin DBS 12 cylinder will stomp most other GTs. Better have a sense of humor about British engineering. Get one either murdered out in all-black or the "Bond...James Bond!" steel gray version, if looking like a member of MI6's "Special Branch" is your thing. I had the hots for these maybe five years ago until actually looking at them up close, but they are beautiful.

In fact the above are all GTs, and have the most gorgeous lines you'll see on anything w/four wheels. Food for thought, good luck and report up to boast about whatever you end with.

Old 04-06-2017, 07:31 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I think Cobra replicas are pretty cool (if you fit) and many are very well done.
Pre-owned ones are not horribly expensive, powertrains are robust and they're fast as hell.
To that end, I noodled carefully on having a custom Eleanor Mustang built, probably on a non-original GT500 chassis replica, emulating a car that was all the rage the year I was born ('67). There are a couple of custom builders who will create these in assorted variants, including the Super Snake, for maybe $150-225K depending on how wild you want to go. I personally figure having anything less than a big block Ford 427 SOHC in any is a waste, but they're doing great things with forced induction (supercharging in this case) these days so all bets are off. Always figured an Eleanor in Ruby Red or a Sapphire Blue, with the stripes and everything else, would differentiate from the admittedly gorgeous Pepper Gray seen in "Gone in 60 Seconds."

Definitely gorgeous and exotic, in a totally different way than OP (or ultimately, yours truly) had in mind, though.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:01 PM

431 posts, read 352,307 times
Need to know your budget. It will make a world of difference in what you select. Not just purchase budget but maintenance budget as well.

I think the best bang for the buck right now is a 996 TT. Not quite exotic but exotic car performance. Or Z06 Vettes but they are way to common to be considered exotic. Vipers can be had for under $50K as well.

I recommend the Porsche, not just because I'm a Porsche owner but because they have the performance yet are extremely usable and not so exotic that you have to worry about jealous losers keying your car and being overly paranoid about them and maintenance won't be more than the entry cost like in some other cars.

But again, need to know your budget because if you have over $100K to spend then it puts you in a different category. Maybe you do want that car that gets you front row parking at the valet.

Last edited by Hackopotamus; 04-06-2017 at 08:25 PM..

Old 04-06-2017, 09:50 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,240,557 times
618719, what is your budget?

Kind of meaningless to give out multiple examples if we don't know whether they are in your price range or not.

Porsche has some cars that are definitely exotic, the GT2/GT3 cars qualify, and by extension, the 911 turbo can too, because with some suspension upgrades, you can turn it into a track ready car quite easily that will actually beat the GT3 around a track. It's also the most usable exotic you'll ever own.

A Dodge Viper is not an exotic. You can buy used Vipers these days for under $30k.

Lotus? If you can find an older Esprit that would qualify, but I hope you have a big bank account for repairs. Not worth it IMO. The Evora and Elise are fun cars, but seriously down on horsepower vs "real" exotics. Those cars are best suited to track days only, driving them on the roads, even a base Corvette can leave you behind from a stoplight.

Lamborghini/Ferrari... Very budget dependent. Repairs and maintenance are very expensive, regardless of model. Certainly qualifies as exotic, but I think there are better choices out there.

Nissan GTR. This one is in the same camp as a 911 turbo IMO, but may seem more exotic because there's no "base" model GTRs like the 911 has.

McLaren 12C... probably one of the better choices for a true exotic, and with reliability that is better than most. Performance like a 911 turbo but styling is much more flashy.

I'd avoid kit cars and replicars. Yes, you can buy a replica Ferrari or Lambo dirt cheap in comparison, but it won't be a real one. Kinda like owning a very nice knock off Rolex. People may think it's nice, but once they know the truth, they don't really care anymore. They're also very hard to sell, the buyer pool is pretty small, all things considered.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:05 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,092,208 times
I'm going to be another one to mention the Aston. V8 Vantages can be quite reliable drivers (since it's not going to be your daily driver, then you can rule out any need for it to get you to work every day). But everyone I've known with one has raved about it. Here's an example:

VWVortex.com - Update on my Aston Martin maintenance costs

VWVortex.com - Road trip: Aston Martin on CA SR20, Fort Bragg to Calistoga

Personally though, I'd buck up a tiny bit and go for a DB9 with the V12. You can get early examples with the 6 speed manual for under $60k now. Just one of the prettiest cars made in the last 20 years.

Cars for Sale: Used 2007 Aston Martin DB9 for sale in Los Gatos, CA 95030: Convertible Details - 421046189 - Autotrader

Old 04-07-2017, 06:47 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,738,942 times
From a reliability and fun standpoint, but usable every day, I would go for a 2003 Audi RS6, sedan or Avant. I bought mine new and have had zero issues with it. It sounds awesome, pulls super hard, and doesn't break. It also goes great in snow if you need that.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:12 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,574,786 times
related:
//www.city-data.com/forum/autom...uence-u-s.html

Old 04-07-2017, 07:26 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,240,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
... That is definitely not a car related to a discussion of exotics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive