Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 09:26 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by some1livesinamerica View Post
so for the luxury brands, whats the point of dealearship? just to make sure certain people in this country can have a job.
Reduces overhead. Once a manufacturer "sells" a car to a dealership it's no longer theirs.
Tesla builds to order because they have to. They can't carry thousands of units of stock.
But that doesn't help a guy much that wants a car today.

Quote:
on the other hand, if the direct sale model prevails, car manufacturers will be competing with each other
Manufacturers compete with each other now.
There will be no savings, only a different group taking the profit and less competition, not more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 10:01 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,284,294 times
Quote:
we don't really know if the car manufacturers will actually translate the saving in cost to the consumers.
on the other hand, if the direct sale model
I don't think theres that much difference between direct selling or dealership. remember that dealers have to pay the manufacturer for the right(franchise fee) to be a dealer. if they sell directly, all the cost shouldered by the dealer will be shouldered by the manufacturer.

maybe the only benefit is that you get the same price wherever you shop.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:22 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,233,863 times
Quote:
so for the luxury brands, whats the point of dealearship? just to make sure certain people in this country can have a job.
Luxury brands deliver the "concierge" experience at their dealerships. Dealerships are also the point of contact for servicing issues and maintenance. Your average Ferrari or Lambo owner aren't in their garage changing their own oil, for example. They need a place to service the cars.

But, as you can imagine, there's not that many high end dealerships out there, so in many respects, they pretty much do utilize a direct sales model. There's probably 1 Lamborghini dealership for every 1000 Ford dealerships in this country. If you don't live near a dealership, you order your car online and they'll deliver it to you, exactly like Tesla does.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:27 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,233,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
That's about to change.

There are going to be a bunch of people who have Honda Accords that they're used to keeping a long time that are going to buy Model 3s.

When they break or there's an accident and it takes forever to get fixed because of single part sourcing and specialized body shops things are going to get ugly.
People are going to expect the cars and the service organization to work. There are no other options except for them.
True. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Frankly, I think they will have to make some concessions to buyers. I know one idea Musk laid out to get around the states direct sales laws was to build supercharger stations that would also double as service centers, and if need be, could be franchised to also be approved as a dealership.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:58 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
I know one idea Musk laid out to get around the states direct sales laws was to build supercharger stations that would also double as service centers, and if need be, could be franchised to also be approved as a dealership.
They need to find a better model for taking trades as well.
Just calling wholesalers with your car and getting you a bad price doesn't really get it. Independent dealers work the numbers to make a deal.
This is another thing that a "regular" buyer will care about a lot more than a well-heeled one.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:23 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
I think they should be allowed to sell directly to the public. Dealerships will disagree with me.

Old 04-10-2017, 03:27 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Please, do not have it upside down. Somewhere down the road, it was decided that auto makers can not sell direct. Before, they could. But somewhere someone said - we have cousins and brothers and nephews that need businesses. Why not to let them open dealerships and to place yoke on stubborn goats like H Ford, so that they don't get too smart and learn about profit sharing?
It's business owners pitching business to business owners.
Always look for the easiest reason _ Qui Bono? Who benefits from this? Automaker? No. Buyer? No.
And by the way.
Back in 2001 or so, there was famous case when business owner bought 28 M3 convertibles to the tune of $250 000 for each one of his company employees. He bought them directly from BMW. Now do your math. That's about $8 000 a pop. They were around $20K at dealership then, I believe.
So here's your real reason why they can't. As then a helluval men loose their free profit.
And btw, OP. Capitalism has none to do with your question. Being free market and free country does.

Old 04-10-2017, 04:50 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Quote:
as a consumer, i rather just be able to buy the car at a set price, just like when i go to a grocery store, the price for the item that i want to buy is set. i dont enjoy doing all the research on the internet and negotiate with the dealers on the price. if i really have a choice, i would pick the tesla's model over dealership.

Different grocery stores around me sell the same items at different prices. If you don't like negotiating with a dealer, just pay what is on the sticker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Back in 2001 or so, there was famous case when business owner bought 28 M3 convertibles to the tune of $250 000 for each one of his company employees. He bought them directly from BMW. Now do your math. That's about $8 000 a pop. They were around $20K at dealership then, I believe.
Citation please.

However, there are fleet deals right now. A company can buy lots of anything per unit cheaper than you can right now. That isn't the same thing. Somewhere somehow some dealer got compensated for "delivering" those 28 M3s, or 50 Transit Vans, or whatever.

Old 04-10-2017, 04:54 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Isn't this a capitalist society? Isn't the theory that people should be able to sell without politicians deciding who gets a protected market?

Why shouldn't Tesla and others be allowed to bypass dealerships and sell directly to the public?
Yes they should, it's absurd they can't.

Old 04-10-2017, 05:58 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,516,374 times
Biggest rip off - liquor distributors.

The law was set up so the manufactures didn't get so greedy. So the distributors now are the greedy ones. Getting kickbacks, illegal stuff.

I have a good friend who owns a liquor company. Oh the issues she has to deal with. Many countries are easy but the US. Of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive