Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 04:13 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times

Advertisements

The argument is stupid at best. So how many of you own a Tesla? Seen a Tesla? Ridden in a Tesla? How many of the 3300 Demons that they are going to make do you think will ever see the streets? Most are going to go straight into car collections at prices you can't afford. This makes as much sense as chatting about the "new" 7.4 Ford engine that will blow the doors off of the Demon in any form and it's going to get harpooned in a Raptor and a Mustang. But you'll never be able to buy one so what's the big deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 04:18 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Why? This is why I took the argument here. To ask the hardcore internal combustion devotees that post here regularly, why? With the flip of a switch or two the Tesla can become a pussycat family sedan with a very impressive range btw, (in excess of 200mi?) and if you need more, for vacation or to see Gramma... you can always rent something. I haven't owned a car in 20 years. I go five years sometimes without driving a car. I'm going to rent a car next month to take my wife and mother in law to the coast. Last time was in a Kia Rio and it struggled a little in the mountains.. 9?hp. I've taken a Ford Focus on the same trip 10?hp. Much better. I leased a Turbo Passat in the mid 90's, the last car I didn't rent and that was a very fun car to drive with the 5sp stick. 840hp? Seriously? On the road? What is the best gas mileage a beast like that can possibly have even if you aren't trying to collect a speeding ticket in all lower 48 states? I've tried to find specs but there isn't much out there yet. Why do people need to drive vehicles that simply scream "I'm a colossal jerk that doesn't care about anything but my own ego gratification"?

Well. "Portlandia" at it's finest. If you don't like the new Demon, don't buy one then. Probably Portland dealers don't/won't stock this car.

Some of us actually like muscle cars, and don't drive them like we were idiots. Clearly you are not a car guy, you are not part of the target market. So of course you don't get it, the same way the latest features in a mini-van do not get any sort of rise from me.

The Tesla does go fast for a few minutes, then the battery starts to heat up and the computer shuts down the party before something gets damaged. For the most part it will go as fast as you can get away with in a fairly built-up area, for about as long as you can get away with it. Out in open country on a hot day, not so much on the Tesla. A real car guy can find all sorts of used cars that will do as well or better for a lot lower initial price, and we are capable of sorting the wheat from the chaff in terms of what to buy. The Tesla might eventually pay off if I drove one for like 60 years, but being nearly 60 already, that's a far off and doubtful break even point.

Actually most of these big-HP cars will get decent mileage, 20 something, if you keep your foot out of it, or even if you "mostly" keep your foot out of it. Many real car guys work in STEM fields, and pull down a salary that means paying for enough premium gas to drive a car like this is not a budget buster. Like having lunch in a decent restaurant rather than hitting the Golden Arches - we know the difference, and we can afford to pay for what we deem is better, so we do that. If Micky D's is good enough for you - OK fine, I won't be joining you, but won't berate you for your choice either.

That and there are chicks (outside of Portland of course) who actually dig a car like this.

There are all sorts of cars on the market, most are not simply aimed at providing "A to B" plain vanilla transportation at the lowest possible price point, (although denizens of Portlandia think that, by God, or by Gaia, or whatever - they should, dammit!) just as there are wines out there beyond "Mad Dog" that are not marketed just on providing "maximum alcohol for minimum price".

There was a car turned out, you know, to provide minimum cost A to B for the masses - the Trabant. Is that what you think people should be driving?

Old 04-14-2017, 04:41 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,470,998 times
Quote:
Why? This is why I took the argument here. To ask the hardcore internal combustion devotees that post here regularly, why? With the flip of a switch or two the Tesla can become a pussycat family sedan with a very impressive range btw, (in excess of 200mi?) and if you need more, for vacation or to see Gramma... you can always rent something. I haven't owned a car in 20 years. I go five years sometimes without driving a car. I'm going to rent a car next month to take my wife and mother in law to the coast. Last time was in a Kia Rio and it struggled a little in the mountains.. 9?hp. I've taken a Ford Focus on the same trip 10?hp. Much better. I leased a Turbo Passat in the mid 90's, the last car I didn't rent and that was a very fun car to drive with the 5sp stick. 840hp? Seriously? On the road? What is the best gas mileage a beast like that can possibly have even if you aren't trying to collect a speeding ticket in all lower 48 states? I've tried to find specs but there isn't much out there yet. Why do people need to drive vehicles that simply scream "I'm a colossal jerk that doesn't care about anything but my own ego gratification"?
I didn't say I needed 840 HP and the Demon (or any Challenger) is not my style either (too big and a drag racer, I like handling as well as power). My next car hopefully will be a Corvette Grand Sport or Z06 with a manual shifter - can't get that in a Tesla. Also the Model S looks like a jellybean

Old 04-14-2017, 05:31 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
Lets not go comparing apples to oranges here ladies. A Tesla sedan was in really no way designed to compete with a few-compromises performance car like a Hellcat/Demon...so the fact that it can is pretty hilarious. I can understand the insecurity in here. I really can. Imagine if Tesla actually wanted to make a car that went fast?

Old 04-14-2017, 05:47 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
Torque across the rev range combined with traction control make the Tesla a beast with which most ICE cars can't compete.

Tesla Model X Beats A Supercar In A Race... While Towing A 4,000 Pound Trailer - Digg

And this is in their everyday SUV model... Imagine if they built a car dedicated to the best 1/4 mile they could achieve. That little demon would be Spanked.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:51 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,723,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Torque across the rev range combined with traction control make the Tesla a beast with which most ICE cars can't compete.

Tesla Model X Beats A Supercar In A Race... While Towing A 4,000 Pound Trailer - Digg

And this is in their everyday SUV model... Imagine if they built a car dedicated to the best 1/4 mile they could achieve. That little demon would be Spanked.
There is no way an Alfa Romeo 4C is a supercar with 237 hp.

Old 04-14-2017, 09:02 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Go to a Dodge Challenger forum and you will see that people buying Hellcats and even garden variety Hemi Challengers do so to have something fun to drive to work that they can also race on the weekends.Even the 305 hp V6 SXT has a 0-60 timer on it. In 2016, Tesla sold 18,000 model X. Dodge sold 60,000 Challengers.

Old 04-15-2017, 12:51 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Why focus on 840 HP when 1,000 is ready to go, although not really from the factory...

1,000-HP 2017 Trans Am 455 Super Duty Bows in New York - Motor Trend

Old 04-15-2017, 01:56 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
The argument is stupid at best. So how many of you own a Tesla? Seen a Tesla? Ridden in a Tesla? How many of the 3300 Demons that they are going to make do you think will ever see the streets? Most are going to go straight into car collections at prices you can't afford. This makes as much sense as chatting about the "new" 7.4 Ford engine that will blow the doors off of the Demon in any form and it's going to get harpooned in a Raptor and a Mustang. But you'll never be able to buy one so what's the big deal?
I see Tesla's everyday. Even in the smaller town I live in.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:02 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,240,557 times
That Demon gets those results by wearing drag radials. The Tesla is running Pilot Super Sports, and they're only 245 front/265 rear. Swap some wider drag radials on the Tesla, and no ICE car will ever touch it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive