Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 01:35 AM

15,189 posts, read 8,768,739 times

Advertisements

Driving slower than the flow of traffic, can kill you. Don't do it, if you value your life.

Quote:
LaPlace dump truck driver killed in fiery crash with fuel truck on I-310 in Luling

A 44-year-old LaPlace woman was killed Thursday morning (April 13) after an 18-wheeler hauling about 8,000 gallons of gasoline smashed into the back of a slow-moving dump truck on Interstate 310 in Luling, according to Louisiana State Police.

Chalanta Brown, the driver of the dump truck, was pronounced dead at the scene of the crash, which occurred just after 8 a.m. on I-310 south between La. 18 and La. 3127, near the Hale Boggs Bridge in St. Charles Parish

Brown was driving the 2008 Sterling dump truck in the right lane of I-310 south at a "very slow rate of speed" when a 2013 Kenworth 18-wheeler, driven by a 31-year-old Gheens, La. man, crashed into the rear of Brown's dump truck, state police said.

The impact caused the dump truck to overturn onto its passenger side and the fuel truck to burst into flames, becoming fully engulfed in fire, officials said.

The fuel truck's driver escaped from the cab and was taken to a local hospital with moderate injuries. He was airlifted to a burn unit in Baton Rouge, according to a Fox 8 report.

Impairment is not suspected in the crash, which remains under investigation.

Troopers are not sure why Brown was driving so slowly, state police said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 09:27 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,896,383 times
He wanted to get paid!!

But yea doing 40 on a 70mph road way is stupid, and it does happen.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:39 AM

5,914 posts, read 6,395,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Driving slower than the flow of traffic, can kill you. Don't do it, if you value your life.

From what you posted, there's no evidence to suggest the dump truck's speed is what got the driver killed. How slow was the dump truck going? How fast was the fuel truck going? Can't just automatically say driving slower than the flow of traffic can kill you, because that isn't always the case. Especially when the dump truck was driving in the right lane.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:48 AM

15,395 posts, read 25,628,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
He wanted to get paid!!

A lot of people here don't get that.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:00 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,186,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
He wanted to get paid!!

I'm not sure of the circumstance of why the dump truck driver was going 40 mph. I do know that most states have a minimum speed limit laws on interstates and highways. Here in Minnesota the minimum is 45 mph. Sometimes it is reasonable to drive at a slower speeds. At the end of the day, it is up to all drivers to practice safe driving.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
A lot of people here don't get that.
It depends on the circumstances. Sometimes it is prudent to drive at slower speeds. Always drive on the right if you need to drive at a slower speed. For example, if I am hauling my pontoon, I'm am not driving 70 mph. I'm driving at a speed that is safe.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:12 AM

5,914 posts, read 6,395,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
I'm not sure of the circumstance of why the dump truck driver was going 40 mph. I do know that most states have a minimum speed limit laws on interstates and highways. Here in Minnesota the minimum is 45 mph. Sometimes it is reasonable to drive at a slower speeds. At the end of the day, it is up to all drivers to practice safe driving.
There was nothing in the OP stating the dump truck was going 40MPH.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
You are correct, however I was responding to the response from HITTHEPAUSEBUTTON person.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:22 AM

421 posts, read 536,877 times
For all we know, both drivers could have fallen asleep at the wheel. Not that I disagree with the conclusion, but I'm not sure the facts are there to prove it, not in this story.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:58 AM

9,196 posts, read 10,967,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Yeah, I wondered why that was suddenly part of the discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supton View Post
For all we know, both drivers could have fallen asleep at the wheel. Not that I disagree with the conclusion, but I'm not sure the facts are there to prove it, not in this story.
My first suspicion is both were DWT, Driving While Texting. That would explain the slow dump truck and it would explain why someone who should be able to judge speed and distance runs right into a large vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive