Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 04:29 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Apples to Oranges. Not the same market.
Why buy a Rolex when a Timex tells the same time? Why buy a house when an old trailer will do? Why buy an old minivan when you can buy an even older more busted minivan?
If you were making $12k a year, I'd agree you shouldn't be looking at new sports cars. If you're making $150k a year, buy whatever you want. No need to wait till you're 70 and you can't take it with you.
MY POINT, was: I'd much rather drive a RELIAblE, SENSIBLE vehicle and bank the money for retirement.

If you wnat apples to apples: WHY would I buy a $90K Jag when a $60K Jag would do me fine,and bank the difference for retirement....and I"D still own the darn thing.

If you mean BUYING versus LEASING, then there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON for this thread.

Apples and Oranges are BOTH FRUIT after all...sometimes apples and oranges CAN be compared...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 07:46 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
To me it makes no sense as you are essentially "renting" a car.
To me it makes no sense for someone who has never leased a car and apparently has little understanding about leases, to comment on what it means to lease a car.

Quote:
I prefer to buy a car I can afford and that works for my family. Pay it off and drive it for a few years having no payments!
You realize that you can do the exact same thing with a leased vehicle, right?

Quote:
Not to mention do you know what car insurance would cost on a Jaguar!
Yes, as a matter of fact I do. I also know what car insurance costs on a Maserati and a Mercedes SL.

Quote:
NO THANKS!
NO WELCOME!

Old 04-21-2017, 08:12 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
If you insist on behaving in an essentially irresponsible way (i.e., making car payments forever) then leasing may in fact be a more economical way to behave that way.

Or, you could buy one highly reliable car in your life on a loan, pay the loan off, keep that car till the wheels fall off, then pay cash for all subsequent vehicles using the payments you didn't make once the first one was paid off; keeping the subsequent ones till they fall apart too.

I know some people will say "I just feel like driving a [reliable, paid for] 10 or 15 year old compact Honda (for example) would just be like punishment, boo hoo, I want and need a fancy car so I can feel good about myself..." Well, you might consider whether driving that 10 year old Honda feels so much like punishment when you look at your fancy bank account. Fancy car, or fancy bank account? It's up to you.

Remember, too, the more heavily advertised the proposition, the higher the profit margin for the company advertising it. So, three quiz questions:

1) Between leasing a car and buying it outright, which is more heavily advertised?

2) Based on that, which option do you think yields the car company and dealer more profit?

3) Whose money is it that makes up profits for them?

Old 04-21-2017, 08:16 AM

Oh, one other point.

A few years ago, when I found myself without a job, not having any car or house payments sure made it easier to sleep at night.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:16 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
You know, you

A. Can have a fancy car and fat bank account.

B. Can make out better on a lease vs owning same car x 10 years.

C. Cannot take your money with you when you die.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:25 AM

857 posts, read 844,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You know, you

Was about to post something similar. Bottom line is that it all depends on the person (e.g., income, financial obligations, personal preference, etc.). While someone may be earning well and afford a Jag, Mercedes, etc. he/she may think that they would rather have a Honda, Toyota, etc. and say travel with other money or save it. There are also others who don't make 'enough' but like to have expensive cars, be it buying or leasing. And the list goes on; you get the idea. Everyone is different and what works for/is preferred by one may be shunned by someone else as impractical, wasteful, etc. Some of us like pick up trucks (myself included) because I find the greatest utility in owning one and like the way mine looks, drives, performs in bad weather, etc. I wouldn't want to instead say have the latest Audi, even if prices were comparable as it just doesn't work for me. Someone else could be the complete opposite; no sense in me arguing with that person as to why they should get a truck.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You know, you

A. well, obviously.

B. 1) Tell me exactly how it's going to cost me less to pay a lease payment for a period of years, then pay the buyout at the end and then keeping the car, versus writing a check for the purchase price and walking away.
2) Tell me exactly how it's going to cost me less to lease cars for 10 years always turning them back in, versus buying the same car on a 3 or 4 year note, paying it off completely, and then keeping the car for an additional 7 or 6 years.

C. There are a lot of things you can do with your money besides spending it on lease payments or having it sitting in your bank when you die.

- Buy a nice house
- invest in a business
- Travel
- Educate yourself
- Pay for your children's college educations so they don't start life burdened with student loan debt
- Give money to deserving causes
- Pay the shortfall between Medicare and medical costs, so you don't find yourself living in a crappy nursing home when you get old

- And so on. Get the idea?

Old 04-21-2017, 08:56 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
A. well, obviously.

B. 1) Tell me exactly how it's going to cost me less to pay a lease payment for a period of years, then pay the buyout at the end and then keeping the car, versus writing a check for the purchase price and walking away.
2) Tell me exactly how it's going to cost me less to lease cars for 10 years always turning them back in, versus buying the same car on a 3 or 4 year note, paying it off completely, and then keeping the car for an additional 7 or 6 years.

C. There are a lot of things you can do with your money besides spending it on lease payments or having it sitting in your bank when you die.

- Buy a nice house
- invest in a business
- Travel
- Educate yourself
- Pay for your children's college educations so they don't start life burdened with student loan debt
- Give money to deserving causes
- Pay the shortfall between Medicare and medical costs, so you don't find yourself living in a crappy nursing home when you get old

- And so on. Get the idea?
C. I've done all those things.

My very nice house is paid for, my kids' 529s are full up (and they are only 5 and 2), I max out retirement AND invest after tax every month, I donate money AND my time to charity, I invested in and built and SOLD a business, I take very nice vacations, I read and learn new skills constantly, I mentor young people, etc.

As for B, I did the math on my last SUV (which I bought and kept for 10 years).
Including repair and maintenance I had to do to keep the SUV going, it would have cost $21 a month more to have leased a new one every 38 months (and had new safety, tech, and greater reliability).

I'm 41, I've worked my ass off while living beneath my means for a long time, and now I'm debt-free and set up to enjoy whatever I want. You might meet me on the street in my t shirt and shorts and flip flops and wonder what the heck I'm doing leasing a car, but you have no idea of my finances and probably don't know about other strangers you're judging.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:50 AM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
So in the 80's for example if you saw someone driving a BMW or Mercedes you knew they were doing very well because the average Joe was not able to easily afford one. Fast forward to today and the deals they have on leases now pretty much allow almost anyone to easily afford any car they want. SO yes, leases allow people to afford a car they wouldn't normally be able to afford and I think it downgrades the name brand, but that topic is for another time.

I looked at your lease vs buy calculator and after a period of time leasing is absolutely more expensive than purchasing depending on the length of time you were to keep the purchased vehicle. One thing to also factor in with a brand new vehicle, in my state for instance, is the incredibly expensive registration fee each year on a new car. As the car gets older that dollar amount goes down but for instance I bought a brand new truck last June and it cost me $1200 to register, if I leased it for 3 years that's a huge amount to pay in just registration. (granted the cost would go down slightly each of the 3 years but it is still a lot). Every 3 years I would have to put a down payment on a lease as well as a huge reg fee whereas the car I had purchased would not require a down payment nor would I have a hefty reg anymore.

You never get ahead when leasing a vehicle unless of course driving a brand new vehicle means that you are ahead. The SUV I am driving now was $65k in 2005 yet costs me nothing to drive now and I like it better than if I were to lease a brand new vehicle.
If you buy a car for $50,000 the sales tax at 6% is $3000.
If you lease a 50K car for $500 a month, the sales tax is $30 a month (X36 months) $1080 total.
So if the tax was an issue, you could lease 3 cars before the tax you pay exceeds the tax you would pay on one purchase.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:51 AM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post

https://www.cartelligent.com/blog/bu...e-lexus-rx-350

Great example of leasing vs. buying. Notice how close it gets in certain time periods, ONE major repair to your owned vehicle could nullify the savings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive