Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 05:25 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,315,524 times

Advertisements

I was just in an accident. I'm fine but the car has significant damage. It's the dark gray Impreza in the attached picture. The airbag did not go off. So that doesn't need repair.

1 - Can the car be repaired to a point where it is just as safe as before? I'm bringing it to the dealership and I'll pay for OEM parts even if my insurance company won't.
2 - How do I find out for sure if OEM parts were used? Do I ask to see receipts for the parts?
3 - Should I just get a new car? I'm in a good place financially now, and I could afford a new car, and a better model than the one I bought before. The only reason I was holding onto this one was that I felt I should get at least 100,000 miles just to feel like I got my money's worth. I've got a bunch of other things going on in my life including looking for a home to buy and was planning to get that stuff taken care of first. But maybe I should just take the insurance money and buy a new car now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 05:36 PM

Here is the picture
Attached Thumbnails
Car Accident - Lots of Questions-crash-3.jpg  

Old 04-23-2017, 05:41 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,968,022 times
What is the insurance offering you?

Is there a problem of fault, or is your insurance taking care of it?

Old 04-23-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
What is the insurance offering you?

Is there a problem of fault, or is your insurance taking care of it?
No idea at this point. The accident just happened a few hours ago. It was unambiguously the fault of the other driver though. I was just driving straight and she turned into oncoming traffic.

Old 04-23-2017, 06:36 PM

5,676 posts, read 5,898,735 times
Who was at fault? Did you get a police report?

Old 04-23-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
No idea at this point. The accident just happened a few hours ago. It was unambiguously the fault of the other driver though. I was just driving straight and she turned into oncoming traffic.
Wait until the insurance adjuster determines what they want to do with your car. Then go from there.

Old 04-23-2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Who was at fault? Did you get a police report?
Yeah I have a police report. It just has the info. for both drivers on it. I think he said he'd dictate into his notes that it was her fault. Maybe I should have asked for that in writing. I was in a little bit of shock and don't remember exactly how he said it.

Old 04-23-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
Yeah I have a police report. It just has the info. for both drivers on it. I think he said he'd dictate into his notes that it was her fault. Maybe I should have asked for that in writing. I was in a little bit of shock and don't remember exactly how he said it.
He probably gave her a citation, in which case it's per se her fault. No worries there.

Old 04-23-2017, 07:29 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,746,037 times
Do you have the other drivers insurance information? Call their insurance company ASAP. MOST have a 24 hour claims hotline. Put in a claim. If you put in a claim with your insurance you will have to pay the deductible and you won't get it back unless your company can recoup the money from the other insurance company.

An adjuster will come out within a day or two to determine cost of damage. It's always hard to tell the amount of damage done under the hood. Sometimes it doesn't look like much but then it's totaled out because of the cost to repair is more than the auto is worth. See what they say and then make a decision.

Glad you're ok!!

Old 04-23-2017, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Do you have the other drivers insurance information? Call their insurance company ASAP. MOST have a 24 hour claims hotline. Put in a claim. If you put in a claim with your insurance you will have to pay the deductible and you won't get it back unless your company can recoup the money from the other insurance company.

An adjuster will come out within a day or two to determine cost of damage. It's always hard to tell the amount of damage done under the hood. Sometimes it doesn't look like much but then it's totaled out because of the cost to repair is more than the auto is worth. See what they say and then make a decision.

Glad you're ok!!
Yes, I do have her insurance info. However, I already put in a claim with my insurance company. Should I still call hers or is it too late now? My deductible is only $100. So it's not the end of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive